UV Sterilizer too big?

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just ordered a UV sterilizer online to combat my dino outbreak and after doing some very quick researching I ended up with (Aqua Twist 25w).
Originally I was going by the 1w per 3 gallon rule I saw noted around the place and total tank being approx 69gal (rounded to 70) that would be 23.33w.

Kind of jumped on the purchase as the shop still had Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales going (was due to end yesterday but it was still discounted online so figured I may as well save myself a few bucks by getting in early before they axe it).
After ordering I've later read through the manufacturers instruction manual I found online and noticed the GPH recommendation they're stating is higher than what I run my return at.

I run a Octo Varios 2 pump on setting 2 or 3 for memory which would only be 528-581 gph. I could potentially ramp this up to setting 4 which would be 687 gph and be approx 10x my total system turn over per hour.

The Twist 25 Watt unit appears to require 800 GPH to be in the 45,000 µw/cm² range which is supposedly upper end ideal for reef tanks (30,000-45,000 range). So I'd have to ramp the Varios right up to its max to get close to this which I don't want to do.

So how much have I screwed up? Should I try cancel order (unfortunately they don't have a smaller 15w aqua system it seems).
Do you think it'll be okay to run it at it's current rate which would put me somewhere in the 45,000-60,000µw/cm² range, OR do I just run it temporarily to blast the dino's despite it probably taking out some of the good bacteria/food, and then switch it off once they've been killed off and then chuck in some more pods/phyto after the fact?

Or is there another way I could run this without having to fork out too much more money?

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be fine but I don’t run UV 24/7 either so I’m not sure if it could actually be an issue.

I had to run an 18w in my 13.5 gallon for Dino’s when my 9 watt stopped working. Only problems were the flow was pretty high and sand was blasting everywhere until I put my magfloat in front of the output to break up the flow. The second issue was that its the same length as my tank lol so I had to put it in the display diagonally on the front glass until it cleared up.

It was temporary but worked like a charm.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind manufacturers say:

“For Protozoa 180,000 µW/cm2”

Many reefers target this level for disease prevention or at least treatment and you’re a long ways from that so you are totally fine and even undersized for many organisms.

Also that figure you calculated is with a new bulb, clean quartz shield, and clean water. The output will drop with time as bulb ages and even more as the quartz gets dirty. You will just be in the 30k zone longer since you’re starting a bit higher.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect for dinos IMO. About 200 gph directly in and out of display and you are good to go. Mfgr recommendations do not apply for dinos.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.
Had a slight panic thinking I'd screwed up and would be out of a lot of money by the end of it.
Sounds like I should be okay though and not have to worry too much.

Is it something I should just run to rid the dinos and shut her down until something else shows up or do you think I can get away with keeping it going all the time?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.
Had a slight panic thinking I'd screwed up and would be out of a lot of money by the end of it.
Sounds like I should be okay though and not have to worry too much.

Is it something I should just run to rid the dinos and shut her down until something else shows up or do you think I can get away with keeping it going all the time?
People do either one. Many run UV for the life of the system 24/7 for years.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, your choice. I ran UV for a couple years then stopped.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same "concern" when I got my Aqua UV 25watt on a 75 gal tank. I ended up running my return a little higher than previously (to account for additional turns and plumbing) and added a flow meter. I am currently getting about 260gph going through it and it seems to be doing just fine. My goal was 300ish but I dont want to run my return at 100% the whole time.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same "concern" when I got my Aqua UV 25watt on a 75 gal tank. I ended up running my return a little higher than previously (to account for additional turns and plumbing) and added a flow meter. I am currently getting about 260gph going through it and it seems to be doing just fine. My goal was 300ish but I dont want to run my return at 100% the whole time.
Glad to hear things are doing alright. Thanks for your post!
No idea how the plumbing side of it will work but I guess I'll work that out next week after it arrives.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Pentair and Aqua UV are supposed to be a couple of the popular ones. I believe each manufacturer will have its own settings or recommendations. There's also one called Green Killing Machine too that I've seen people mention.
I think I read somewhere on here to allow for 3W per gallon, but again manufacturer recommendations may be different.
Ie. Aqua UV states the Classic/Twist 40 watt is suited to 325 gallon + 57watt is suited to 355.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been happy with my lifeguard 55w IM 150ext with a 150g Rubbermaid stump. Knocked Dino’s out. Champion lighting had it for a bit over $300 and I love the liner is replaceable and ballets has a year countdown clock. Really nice units

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just run a separate pump and piping for the uv, and as a by product if a pump fails the other will keep the water flowing through the sump and the items in it and they will continue functioning in a normal manner.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been happy with my lifeguard 55w IM 150ext with a 150g Rubbermaid stump. Knocked Dino’s out. Champion lighting had it for a bit over $300 and I love the liner is replaceable and ballets has a year countdown clock. Really nice units
It blows my mind more people don’t know about or run lifegards. I just got their 90w for under $400! Also from champion. Everything is replaceable and the ballast counter is nice.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It blows my mind more people don’t know about or run lifegards. I just got their 90w for under $400! Also from champion. Everything is replaceable and the ballast counter is nice.
I dig the lifeguard models. I'll drop the coin on theirs if I ever order a UV new. Also are local to me.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Champion lighting has them much cheaper. I have owned the very expensive brands and I think these are actually better quality.

they may have gone up since Black Friday deals:

6C50EEDE-8A54-4D88-B755-EFD78CE729B2.jpeg

Back