Rating - 0%
0   0   0

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not sure I understand why the ground probe needs to be plugged into GFCI. It's the actual electrical equipment that needs to be plugged into GFCI, not the ground probe, right?

The ground probe if it exists should be attached to an earth point. It does not need to be attached to the GFCI outlet or that circuit's earth wire.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to point out that in many home situations finding a reliable grounding point BESIDES the ground wire in your circuit can be a little tricky.

So plugging the probe into the surge protector or power strip you run your equipment on (assuming it is a quality device) is the easiest way to achieve that. Cheap power strips are dangerous in their own regard but that is another conversation entirely (and covered in that thread i linked)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, was thinking about this again as I set up any pentair UV at new house, everyone have them plugged into non gfci?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thought that might be helpful. The transformer causing high frequency tripping the GFCI. I've had digital 600 watt and 1000 watt hps ballasts, especially Galaxy/lumitek, wreck havoc with GFCI, either they trip right away or work for awhile then self destruct never to work again. They emit a super high frequency that you can hear vs regular core/coil ballasts. Have also had bulbs cause the same issues. Move the ballast/hood as far away as possible and they would no longer trip, not always feasible with extension cords that I won't run more than 1 light on, so not a good solution. Just a thought that may help, if I made that confusing enough

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back