UV

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know what size UV to get and what are the benefits? I just lost almost my entire tank because of a fish disease or bacteria, I’m wondering if a UV will help in the future.
Would it be installed in the sump and would it affect the refugium?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know what size UV to get and what are the benefits? I just lost almost my entire tank because of a fish disease or bacteria, I’m wondering if a UV will help in the future.
I run a UV and really couldn’t tell you that I’ve seen benefits. I have a 120 gallon tank with a 36 gallon sump and I’m running a aquauv 57w fixture off my return manifold. I change the bulb once a year and have it set to about 300gph flow rate.

what I will tell you is the best thing I’ve done to battle fish disease is set up a quarantine tank (20 gallon) separate from my large system. Every fish I purchase get treated with copper and prazi or for whatever else pops up during quarantine. Best thing I’ve done by far

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a UV and really couldn’t tell you that I’ve seen benefits. I have a 120 gallon tank with a 36 gallon sump and I’m running a aquauv 57w fixture off my return manifold. I change the bulb once a year and have it set to about 300gph flow rate.

what I will tell you is the best thing I’ve done to battle fish disease is set up a quarantine tank (20 gallon) separate from my large system. Every fish I purchase get treated with copper and prazi or for whatever else pops up during quarantine. Best thing I’ve done by far
Agree with hospital/QT tank. For your UV, are you cleaning the quartz sleeve every couple months? I got lazy and when I checked the sleeve, it was entirely encrusted over which would explain why I wasn’t seeing benefits.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with hospital/QT tank. For your UV, are you cleaning the quartz sleeve every couple months? I got lazy and when I checked the sleeve, it was entirely encrusted over which would explain why I wasn’t seeing benefits.
Just cleaned mine with the bulb change. Wasn’t too bad, so I think I can get away with cleaning it when I change the bulb once a year. I’m sure cleaning it more frequently wouldn’t hurt.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, I plan to make sure all my fish are properly quarantined from now on

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not relying on mine for disease, but it will no doubt help control them in addition to clear water, kill Dinos, controlling Coral Chemical warfare, kill off bad bacteria and raise ORP.

IMHO it's almost as important as a skimmer.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so would you benefit from putting it in the first chamber of the sump, before the refugium part that way the dirtiest water goes in there?
Most things that I've read say to use it after the return pump though you can use it elsewhere. The Aqua Ultraviolet manual says, "The UV should be installed after the filter on the return line. This helps ensure that the water is clear of debris and impurities that could inhibit the disinfection process. The UV can be installed before the filter, however, it will take longer to work. Note: You increase the risk of breaking the Quartz Sleeve and Lamp if debris enters the UV unit when installed before your filter."

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to say, I have not had any parasite outbreaks in two systems under UV control, but everything was quarantined. I also have not had any typical dino cyano breaks. Thinking that perhaps it was my skill and husbandry, until I set up a frag tank which is now covered with dinos. So I think the UV plays a significant role, however interesting reviews from the biomics analysis of UV versus non UV tanks shows a distinct drop in biodiversity of the bacterial populations.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Articles at American Aquarium in Oregon for proper size for disease control. Set up properly it works very well. My customers and I experienced much lower loss rates than trying to prophylactic treat each fish for possible disease. Just my experience in the aquarium trade with over 25 plus years of success. Now let the attacks begin in 3,2,1. Lol! Good luck.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Out of curiosity, because the flow rate seemed low, I went and looked at the recommended flow rate for a 57-watt fixture from AquaUltraViolet and it says it should be running between 2133 and 3200GPH for Saltwater tank applications... It may be the reason you're not seeing a benefit? I've never run one personally but have been toying with the idea since I will be installing a sump over Christmas break. I know that lower flow rates are supposed to combat different things, but 300gph and 2133gph is a huge difference...

Recommended Flow Rate for Saltwater Applications:

Saltwater Reef Applications: 2133 GPH - 3200 GPH

Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 1066 (min), 3200 GPH (max)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E7B28E5F-26B7-47B0-8033-3A7FFB78E4D5.jpeg

Regarding “benefits,” these tanks ran side-by-side for a year. The one on the left had no UV sterilizer until this past weekend.

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all I can swear by my UV sterilizer! Make sure you get a high quality one to begin with. You need to figure out what you want to use it for parasites, ich, etc? If so you need to slow the flow way down!

If it’s for algae and cleaner water then higher flow is the way. I knocked out fish parasite issues with a quickness using a 55w pentair on my 200+ gallon tank. it pulls off the return pump and can be adjusted with a ball valve for whatever you need flow wise. I will say mine did both ich managing and algae elimination. But the algae took longer to kill but water is crystal clear also.
B7BA68E3-A6D3-4777-852C-8952C6777060.jpeg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all I can swear by my UV sterilizer! Make sure you get a high quality one to begin with. You need to figure out what you want to use it for parasites, ich, etc? If so you need to slow the flow way down!

If it’s for algae and cleaner water then higher flow is the way. I knocked out fish parasite issues with a quickness using a 55w pentair on my 200+ gallon tank. it pulls off the return pump and can be adjusted with a ball valve for whatever you need flow wise. I will say mine did both ich managing and algae elimination. But the algae took longer to kill but water is crystal clear also.
It's weird how the Pentair's have a much much much lower flowrate for parasites and bacteria, but the Aqua Ultra Violets are still in the thousands... Any idea why that might be? As I said in my other post here, I'm thinking about getting one and wanting to learn, right now they're nearly a mystery to me :-D

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's weird how the Pentair's have a much much much lower flowrate for parasites and bacteria, but the Aqua Ultra Violets are still in the thousands... Any idea why that might be? As I said in my other post here, I'm thinking about getting one and wanting to learn, right now they're nearly a mystery to me :-D
Sure look at the volume those are 1” pipes feeding that thing! Also pentair is really good at suggesting flow rates, thier stuff is used on commercial water purification! So they are probably overkill, I do have to add pods and phytoplankton because anything that goes through this thing is gonna get fried! This is why I don’t run a refugium well that and space!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back