Vacuum

Bernard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a bare bottom tank and haven't really cleaned the bottom too well. My ehiem vacuum doesn't seem to want to work anymore. Fellow reefer mentioned using a pump to vacuum his once before but can't remember where I read it at.

I have a couple extra pumps laying around. Was thinking I could use like a 2" pcv with a filterpad inside it to suck the crud off the bottom but just seems like there should be an easier way or something better to use than pvc.
Anyone one made anything like this can give a better idea of pics so I can get a better idea?

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered making something like this

But I ended up just using a standard gravel vacuum on my sand bed placing the outlet into a filter sock in my sump. I just tune down my drain with a gate valve and keep everything going on my tank while I clean.

OP
OP
Bernard

Bernard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. That is along the lines of what I want. Tweeted it a little though. Instead of using a bottle I just bought one of the gravel vacs and am going to try everything else like shown.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option would be to just run a siphon down to a filter sock in your sump. The detritus gets filtered out and the water just gets returned to the tank.

OP
OP
Bernard

Bernard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that but the siphon isn't strong enough to get everything out.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool idea with the pump.

h8edpurdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option would be to just run a siphon down to a filter sock in your sump. The detritus gets filtered out and the water just gets returned to the tank.

I've done this before and ended up changing a few things. My sump on my tank is located in my garage on the other side of the wall. We don't park in the garage so I don't get worried about exhaust from the car. It wasn't working out the way I was hoping for, so I took an extra, new and clean Brute trash can and hang a 5 micron filter sock https://goo.gl/GaedPr and siphon water into it. Then I use a small pump to pump the water back into the tank.

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a turkey baster and manually do it by hand its fun and cool to see

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back