Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this puffer in the mail today, the bag had hardly any air in it so I tried to work fast. I floated him for about 10 min and drip acclimated him for I’d say 45min doubling the water volume twice. I did not net him or remove him from the water he did not puff up at all. He was swimming around in the tubaware i acclimated him at first. When I doubled the water volume the second time I found him laying at the bottom of the tub. I poured him to to qt he sank right down and is breathing heavily. I have the light off as to not stress him further. What should I do I’m worried he is going to die. I also have a small goby in here and he already seems to be swimming a bit.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this puffer in the mail today, the bag had hardly any air in it so I tried to work fast. I floated him for about 10 min and drip acclimated him for I’d say 45min doubling the water volume twice. I did not net him or remove him from the water he did not puff up at all. He was swimming around in the tubaware i acclimated him at first. When I doubled the water volume the second time I found him laying at the bottom of the tub. I poured him to to qt he sank right down and is breathing heavily. I have the light off as to not stress him further. What should I do I’m worried he is going to die. I also have a small goby in here and he already seems to be swimming a bit.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Bump more photos gobie is swimming all over him he doesn’t even move

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 147

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
was this already in saltwater or did you buy it as freshwater and attempted to switch it to saltwater ?
It did not get much of an acclimation despite showing distress and pouring the bag water into the tank which likely had ammonia was also a strike against you. If still breathing, you need to increase oxygen with airstone/pump combo and do a slight water change and check ammonia/nitrate levels.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was this already in saltwater or did you buy it as freshwater and attempted to switch it to saltwater ?
It did not get much of an acclimation despite showing distress and pouring the bag water into the tank which likely had ammonia was also a strike against you. If still breathing, you need to increase oxygen with airstone/pump combo and do a slight water change and check ammonia/nitrate levels.
I did buy it as a salt water, and I did not just pour the contents of the bag into my tank. I dripped him using the water in my dt(same water used to fill my qt) and doubled the water volume he was in so that when I did pour him in to the qt the water he was previously in would be so diluted it wouldn’t cause any significant issues. Doing recommend test, and I already have a small air stone in the qt and turned hang on the back to max speed to add some more air flow.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy it as a salt water, and I did not just pour the contents of the bag into my tank. I dripped him using the water in my dt(same water used to fill my qt) and doubled the water volume he was in so that when I did pour him in to the qt the water he was previously in would be so diluted it wouldn’t cause any significant issues. Doing recommend test, and I already have a small air stone in the qt and turned hang on the back to max speed to add some more air flow.
Many fish are shipped at lower salinity and people often keep their own aquariums much higher. Fish do not handle a rise in salinity well at all (dropping it is much different). Let's say the fish arrived at a specific gravity of 1.020 (20 ppt) and your tank is at 1.025 (35 ppt) - acclimating it up in even a day would be risky. Another issue - many shipped in fish develop high ammonia in the shipping water. While in the bag, the pH of the water drops, making the ammonia non-toxic. When you start to drip acclimate, the pH goes up faster than the ammonia is being diluted and it becomes toxic and harms the fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many fish are shipped at lower salinity and people often keep their own aquariums much higher. Fish do not handle a rise in salinity well at all (dropping it is much different). Let's say the fish arrived at a specific gravity of 1.020 (20 ppt) and your tank is at 1.025 (35 ppt) - acclimating it up in even a day would be risky. Another issue - many shipped in fish develop high ammonia in the shipping water. While in the bag, the pH of the water drops, making the ammonia non-toxic. When you start to drip acclimate, the pH goes up faster than the ammonia is being diluted and it becomes toxic and harms the fish.

Jay
I understand, what is it that I can do to help it, i have my tank at 1.025 I can take some out and replace with rodi to lower salinity? Idk if that would be beneficial at this point.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, what is it that I can do to help it, i have my tank at 1.025 I can take some out and replace with rodi to lower salinity? Idk if that would be beneficial at this point.
I think at this point, if it was an acclimation issue, the fish will just have to ride it out. If you aren’t sure it arrived at lower salinity, then this may not even be the issue....
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think at this point, if it was an acclimation issue, the fish will just have to ride it out. If you aren’t sure it arrived at lower salinity, then this may not even be the issue....
Jay
Agree, a lot had to do with acclimation. I understand reacting to distress but things were missed prior to introduction. Temp-salinity-ph- ammonia exposure and possible shock

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, a lot had to do with acclimation. I understand reacting to distress but things were missed prior to introduction. Temp-salinity-ph- ammonia exposure and possible shock
So what can I do to avoid this in the future, I just followed the acclimation steps in the box, but if there’s something different to be done to avoid this in the future I want to stay informed.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Nothing to do but wait essentially?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to do but wait essentially?
Right, if it was high ammonia or a salinity rise, the damage has already been done and the fish will need to recover on its own. Dimming the lights can reduce stress though.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So what can I do to avoid this in the future, I just followed the acclimation steps in the box, but if there’s something different to be done to avoid this in the future I want to stay informed.
For the future. . . . Many aquarists have their favorite method. Mine is:
- Lower light in the tank (to even blue- Keeps fish calm)
- float bag for 20-30 mins
- Empty bag and fish into a clean pail or bucket
- Add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 minutes 8X = 2 hours.
- test tank salinity and compare with bucket salinity (if tank is 1.025 and bucket has reached 1.023, keep adding tank water every 15 minutes.
- Once obtained, I use the same cup and scoop the new fish, pour off water in cup and slowly lower cup into tank allowing fish to swim out.
- I leave lights on low remainder of day and resume normal lighting next day and attempt a small feeding

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Did your puffer make it? I'm having the same problem. My puffer has been laying on his side in the QT for 3 days now. I got him 3.5 days ago

20210907_204313.jpg Unfortunately it didnt, died the next day

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to hear. Mine actually swims off sometimes if I disturb him. Other times he doesn't move. So weird.

Back