Velvet belly lanternshark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello friends!

It has come to be that there is a large possibility I will be staying in Turkey to work with Hacettepe medical school. As someone who loves fishkeeping, I have come to find that velvet belly lanternsharks and occasionaly angular roughsharks are common bycatch at fisheries, especially in trawling operations. What I intend to do is see if I can keep some alive for extended periods of time (as fisheries would probably be willing to give me them/sell me them cheap). The lanternshark lives between 20-2400 meters, and the angular roughshark lives between 60-600 meters deep. I was wondering if any of you had any ideas as to what I could do to sustain these guys? I know that they will at least need cold water, a good sized tank (400 gallon+), and the basic requirements for sharks.

Do note that the survival rate of these sharks are basically zero when left with fisheries, and I am not the one intentionally taking them out of their environment and leaving them to die. I am trying to save fish that will most likely die.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics? And good luck

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pics? And good luck
Don't have any pics of my own yet, however I have been talking to people and trying to get to industrial fishermen. I know a professional diver who's my aunt's brother, so I've been trying to get in contact with him as well. I'll update with more pics if I can get a hand on one of these fishies.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Don't have any pics of my own yet, however I have been talking to people and trying to get to industrial fishermen. I know a professional diver who's my aunt's brother, so I've been trying to get in contact with him as well. I'll update with more pics if I can get a hand on one of these fishies.
That's pretty cool - looks like a giant carp crossed with a shark! Maybe a little bit of rodent in the head. So unique!

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool - looks like a giant carp crossed with a shark! Maybe a little bit of rodent in the head. So unique!
Yes very! Part of why I want to save these awesome creatures haha. I would prefer to leave them in their natural environment, but that's not actually happening because of the fishers.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back