Velvet i

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

api kit. Headed to LFS now to buy the Hanna checker. I will get some more bacteria in a bottle for both. I can pull the sponges from my 90 reef and place in the 150. Both using same, but separate units, trigger sump. So it’ll fit in well. I have an 8.3ph on eel tank. Two are eating well but absolutely no activity. One has not eaten yet but extremely active. He wraps around the stick as always gets excited but then swims without eating. Tried all his favorites plus some other all gripped no garlic.

will go to lfs now and treat/test and get back to you with results.

oh, how many water changes too many? I’ve got salt for days on end but been too afraid to do more than 40-50% daily.
Jai
Maximum water change amounts for fish are all about how different the water is: if you exactly match temperature, salinity and pH you can change as much as you want, 100% if you can logistically do that. You do need to aerate the new water long enough to stabilize the pH. The issues crop up when the water used for changes differs too much from the water in the tank. That said I usually stick to 50% changes, doing 2 a day if need be.
Your filter sponges should help though….

Jay

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some test kits will measure quaternary ammonia compounds. Like bad di resin trimethylamine. Even amino acids. Also some metal amine complexes. That could be giving you higher test results.

OP
OP
jaihutcherson

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Only thing in stock 3 stores was the Red Sea multi kit. Heard hood thing about it. Was hoping for the Hanna checkers. They should be here in a day or two off Amazon.
Ammonia in fish only Hospitol is off the charts. Higher than 2.0 according to Red Sea test which is actually a bit higher than Red Sea. For three days now I’ve had dry rock chunks from my other 4 tanks filling refusing on 40 gallon sump. Two days ago I added bio spira per instructions and about 16 bio hotels from Amazon. Basically anything I had that I was willing to trash once the copper treatment finished. And lastly still doing 60 gallon water changes daily. dang I need to get a dealers lic. So I. Am get salt a lot ch

good news on eel only tank ammonia finally down to .25 but nitrates off the chart. Guessing that’s the nitrogen cycle telling me I have something happening. Still doing daily water changes of about 25-30g matching salinity and ariated….. and now ph balanced thanks to @Jay Hemdal .

And a side note…. We are keeping tank to tank transfer of anything to zero. Our 4 other tanks so far have no issues and still looking strong. And that is only because you guys on here are helping us through this. Again, thanks to all involved here.

OP
OP
jaihutcherson

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok quick update and question……
@Jay Hemdal

almost all are fine….. my clown trigger was doing good then yesterday went to bottom and doesn’t move. Very very slow breathing. If I call him he does perc up a bit and look over at me. Another large water change and now today he is a little more upright and has backed out of his hide hole but then this evening back to bottom not really breathing or moving much at all. We did get water parameters back into check. Ammonia now at .5. Yes still high but no where near the off the chart on res sea and api that it was. Nitrates are coming down at 20. My eel tank is at great parameters. Thanks to all for the help getting that.

now, update to original issue…. It’s been 21 days of copper. No signs of anything. Moving fish to new tank and hopefully forever (ok, for a little while) home. Going to treat with rally reef pro in new tank. Doing a freshwater dip on way out of Hospitol tank to new home.

thanks to all.

OP
OP
jaihutcherson

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

just a quick update…..

All fish doing well. It was touch and go with our clown trigger. I believe it to have been ammonia levels spiking and going toxic. He didn’t have all the tell tale signs I’ve researched but nothing else really made sense. He hung out in a small cave at a 45 degree angle for about 5 days not really breathing to often. He finally came out and would swim about a foot the kinda seize up into a 45 degree angle and drop. Then like a light switch would come on and he would shake it off and swim another foot. Over and over for about 3 days. Now he gets around ok but if a big swim or fast chase with others he will just pull out head to bottom and go into the 45 degree angle. Eating took him a long time. I do not believe his equilibrium is right. He goes after a piece of food but misses by about half inch. I tested and he can see in both eyes even small object off coming towards him. But he is good. Lol I guess it’s what you measure it against. At least he’s not the lion that we lost. Eels and puffers are close buddies sleeping together and on each other in their temp home. I finally have the 400 sealed (my god that’s heavy glass). It’s been 2 days and I’m doing all I can not to start filling yet. Plumbing, equipment, controllers and the such in place. Aquascape still on my workbench getting final touches. All in all this has been a horrible issue I could have avoided with better care and maintenance on the FOWLR tank. Bacteria seems to have been a huge factor and that was straight not taking care as I should or as I do on the reef. So lesson learned, very expensive one for sure, and hoping to do it much better this go round. Thanks to all that helped me out. I couldn’t have saved many let alone almost all my fish without y’all. This will be my last post here as it seems We have gotten through it. I will be starting a build thread on the 400. Come check it out!
Jai

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 58 54.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back