Velvet or Ich?

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today my sailfin tang has a ton of white specks on him. I was wondering if this was ich or velvet. (He is breathing heavily)

B54FBE6C-50F4-473B-B62F-E38D38F0DA1A.jpeg
ADF38F9C-D5FE-4FEF-AB76-1935D0348B23.jpeg
his tail fins are also a little rugged. Could it be fin rot as well?

I gave the sailfin a 5min FW dip. Now I have moved all my fish to QT and will begin the process. Any suggestions on how to QT in this scenario to deal with the sailfin’s issue first?

I was planning to use copper at 2.5ppm and feed kanaplex + focus for the tail rot. Then after the copper treatment for 34 days, follow with prazi + metro.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin has ich, but it is possible for it to have velvet at the same time (ich doesn’t cause rapid breathing at his level of infection). Luckily, copper will manage both issues if you get it started fast enough. Skip the kanaplex in focus unless you have a gram scale to work out the dose properly.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin has ich, but it is possible for it to have velvet at the same time (ich doesn’t cause rapid breathing at his level of infection). Luckily, copper will manage both issues if you get it started fast enough. Skip the kanaplex in focus unless you have a gram scale to work out the dose properly.
Jay
Thanks for the advice. I do have a gram scale however I was just following the instructions on the back and dosing 1 scoop of kana and 1 scoop of focus with one block of frozen hikari mysis shrimp. Is there a more precise gram measurement I should follow?

medi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you were able to catch all your fish for qt. I just lost every fish to velvet because I was slightly slow to act, and wasn't able to catch mine. It's pretty sad looking at a fish less tank

OP
OP
C

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you were able to catch all your fish for qt. I just lost every fish to velvet because I was slightly slow to act, and wasn't able to catch mine. It's pretty sad looking at a fish less tank
Sorry to hear that! I lost one of the clown pairs and now I’m staring at a fish less tank too so I feel ya. The goby was impossible to catch. Nearly knocked over all the corals and flipped every rock in sight.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Today my sailfin tang has a ton of white specks on him. I was wondering if this was ich or velvet. (He is breathing heavily)

B54FBE6C-50F4-473B-B62F-E38D38F0DA1A.jpeg
ADF38F9C-D5FE-4FEF-AB76-1935D0348B23.jpeg
his tail fins are also a little rugged. Could it be fin rot as well?

I gave the sailfin a 5min FW dip. Now I have moved all my fish to QT and will begin the process. Any suggestions on how to QT in this scenario to deal with the sailfin’s issue first?

I was planning to use copper at 2.5ppm and feed kanaplex + focus for the tail rot. Then after the copper treatment for 34 days, follow with prazi + metro.
Copper or coppersafe?
Coppersafe or copperpower at therapuetic level 2.5 for a FULL 30 days for the ich (agree its ich) and monitor the copper levels with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand. For display tank, while you may not see any dots on the fish, they may be infected. Keep an eye on them although its suggested to Quarantine them also.
Display tank- Leave it fishless (Fallow) for 6-8 weeks at 80.5 degrees and week 4 you can do a light siphoning to remove any dead trophants
IF using other coppers,
Ionic copper needs to be at least 0.18 and Cupramine needs to be at least 0.50

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish with symptoms I’d do tank transfer method. You can immediately treat the tail rot without thinking about copper interactions, and you don’t need to slowly bring the copper up to therapeutic levels. Shuts down the ich life cycle immediately. If you do the transfers at 36 hrs will also treat velvet if it is present

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I do have a gram scale however I was just following the instructions on the back and dosing 1 scoop of kana and 1 scoop of focus with one block of frozen hikari mysis shrimp. Is there a more precise gram measurement I should follow?
That’s the problem with their instructions - it’s the same for every medication and the amount of food is never quantified. That just doesn’t work. One commonly used dose for kanamycin is 50 mg per kg of fish weight daily for five days. Trying to calculate that from their instructions isn’t possible. There is an article I wrote on dosing medicated food as well as a medicated food calculator thatbanother member developed, but they are tricky to use.
Jay

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, Been there in the past and it is not fun…

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend you get hold of Rally Pro or Hydroplex and do a dip with one of them. It is low stress and will kill the bugs on their skin. Your regular hospital treatment will still need to be done as recommended above.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back