cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
So This is a little big of a long story. I have a quarantine tank up because I have velvet in my display tank. It has been a little over 6 weeks.

I have extended by 2 weeks since i have made the mistake of putting my hand from qt to the other to my dt. My hand may have been dry but I was nervous so i extended it. I’m usually very careful but i totally forgot.

Anyways my fish died and I went through the hole process of bleaching everything and letting it sit out and prime and all that. Then i got new fish to quarantine them for about 2-3 week to make sure there are no diseases going into my dt tank. I’ve had them for a week so far so good.

Today while doing some maintenance with my hand all the way in the dt. I dropped one drop of water into their tank. I walked all the across the room with a soaked hand not smart in the first place. Thought nothing of it till i looked back at dates and realized i wrote down the date of my mistake not my end of fallow period. Since from what i thought it was over on wednesday.

but my question is do you think there going to get it? It’s possible it could be gone already but it’s a reef tank so the could survive off light.

Should i start treatment now knowing how fast this disease works? Or just wait

also, what treatment do you think works best if i end up needing to treat.
Ruby reef rally
API general cure
Copper ( personally i hate it’s a pain) plus i have an in cycled tank.

Maybe some other i don’t know about.

I would order something now to make sure it doesn’t get bad.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good article by Humblefish. 6 weeks fallow. Droplet transmission 10ft. And searching for host 14 days.
If I read your question correctly, the clock restarted.

Dp916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine, just make sure you quarantined new fish for at least 30 days and the tank you broke down and bleach is cycled to reduce stress. I had velvet in the past, killed all my fish. Went fallow for a month and I was able to add fish. That tank is now broke down and upgraded to a 220. Now everything I put in the tank are quarantined. But honestly even then no bullet proof method, but management is the key. Stress free environment, fish fed and eating well, UV sterilizer helps!

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good article by Humblefish. 6 weeks fallow. Droplet transmission 10ft. And searching for host 14 days.
Pending on your actual times, perceived velvet load at the beginning, using UV sterilizer... you may observe (or treat). I think I prefer watch and wait. Copper or CP only acceptable.
I have my tanks on UV and believe this to be a good investment.

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pending on your actual times, perceived velvet load at the beginning, using UV sterilizer... you may observe (or treat). I think I prefer watch and wait. Copper or CP only acceptable.
I will definitely invest my tank had a bit of algae too so it would Definitely help. I think I’m gonna buy ruby reef rally just to be safe. Heard it works pretty well. I’m just so worried since it killed both my fish but i wait it out keep an eye them and if it appear It I’ll treat right away!

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine, just make sure you quarantined new fish for at least 30 days and the tank you broke down and bleach is cycled to reduce stress. I had velvet in the past, killed all my fish. Went fallow for a month and I was able to add fish. That tank is now broke down and upgraded to a 220. Now everything I put in the tank are quarantined. But honestly even then no bullet proof method, but management is the key. Stress free environment, fish fed and eating well, UV sterilizer helps!
Yes, I’ve been dealing with this disease for soo long i am so excited for it to be gone. After this I’m starting up quarantine tank for all my corals. Make sure none of it happens again. Also, Only for a month and it was fine! Ik some strain are worse. That makes me feel a bit better. Hopping it will be okay since it’s been over 6 weeks and it was a possible mistake.

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm i read lucky i have no fans or anything so hoping it will be okay!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back