Velvet

mokmok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to see Ruby alive , not many cases that fish can survive at this symptom.

even i'm a peroxide fan , i always dose every time i introduce new fish for 45 days to prevent ich
but this is also new knowledge for me that peroxide also can cure velvet in time by bath method.

anyway you should take a look closer for more period , i've heard many cases that some fishs which can survive velvet they dont live long ,
seem like velvet leave some damage to fish inside .

good luck

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

even i'm a peroxide fan , i always dose every time i introduce new fish for 45 days to prevent ich
but this is also new knowledge for me that peroxide also can cure velvet in time by bath method.

anyway you should take a look closer for more period , i've heard many cases that some fishs which can survive velvet they dont live long ,

good luck
Yes the peroxide is wonders! And the formaldehyde was a God send also. I will keep an eye on her as much as I can. Hopefully she’ll be okay in the long run. I never want to deal with that again. Velvet is very ugly stuff. Never seen anything like it. Ruby went through hell and back. I can’t even believe she handled what she did! Will her fins grow back?

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

good luck
Yes the peroxide is wonders! And the formaldehyde was a God send also. I will keep an eye on her as much as I can. Hopefully she’ll be okay in the long run. I never want to deal with that again. Velvet is very ugly stuff. Never seen anything like it. Ruby went through hell and back. I can’t even believe she handled what she did!i
Fins will regenerate so long as the damage wasn’t all the way down to the base.
Good to know!

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• C5EA67D3-4988-4B01-B245-68A01D98D5DE.png
    C5EA67D3-4988-4B01-B245-68A01D98D5DE.png
    664.2 KB · Views: 38

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what an incredible story of survival. First, you fish gets velvet although not diagnosed by a trained professional and you come to R2R for assistance. A well known marine vet offers you proven treatment procedures which you quickly disregard. Then simultaneously, you happen to contact a gentleman from France now living in New York, apparently in your neighborhood because he makes house calls for you and this person just happens to be a trained veterinarian in exotic marine fish care. It's not even Christmas yet but I believe in miracles. So, this gentleman provides you with a revolutionary treatment that cures your fish and tank of velvet, a dreaded disease that typically kills in 24 to 48 hours. This is terrific news.

Please provide us with the veterinarian business contact info because this is someone I'd like to keep on speed dial and learn from. Every reefer should know about this new course of treatment especially the temp lowering and h202 ratio.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we will never know who the miraculous French vet is. My money was on Jaques Cousteau but I was waiting for OP confirmation.
Just seeing this! I am going to see him today at work. I am going to ask if I can give his information out. He's a very private person and out of respect I will ask him first. He doesn't do social media or the internet for that matter. He's very very old school so he doesn't know about forums like these. When I asked him about the temperature he stated that raising the heat is the worse idea anyone can do. Yes, it speeds up the lifecycle of the parasite, but that is what kills the fish a lot faster and its very aggressive. The fish suffers tremendously and dies fast. We have to do the opposite and slow down the lifecycle of the parasite which gives the fish time instead of being attacked super aggressively. When you slow down the lifecycle, they become weak and that is when you attack the parasite with everything you have; hypo salinity, peroxide, melafix, API general cure, etc. 68 isn't really that cold, but cold enough to slow down the parasite. Velvet cannot reproduce under 59 degrees. Obviously, we cannot bring the temp that low, but 68 seems to be a good margin where the fish isn't stressed and low enough to slow down the velvet from reproducing and attacking the fish so aggressively.

My flame angel is doing well! I want to kiss his feet every time I see him! I Cann't believe the turn around this fish made. I am still a week and half later in disbelief that the flame angel made it. I can't tell you how much she sank to the sand, laid on her side and thought it was over. Can't believe it. Her tail is starting to grow back as well. I been doing Melafix dips once a day and she's currently in Kanaplex in hyposalinity until Friday. Friday I will start acclimating her to normal salinity and with small dose of melafix every 2-3 days to help recover her fins. I also dose it daily with stress coat. Just very small amounts and I have two air stones in the bucks so its heavily aerated. I will get some updated pictures/videos and try to get the vets info for you!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All joking aside, I'd certainly welcome a novel (but well-reasoned) proposal for the treatment of marine velvet. If it stands up to the scientific method, and produces real results, it would benefit a great many people indeed. At a minimum, I'd love to see the vet's step-by-step treatment plan.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this! I am going to see him today at work. I am going to ask if I can give his information out. He's a very private person and out of respect I will ask him first. He doesn't do social media or the internet for that matter. He's very very old school so he doesn't know about forums like these. When I asked him about the temperature he stated that raising the heat is the worse idea anyone can do. Yes, it speeds up the lifecycle of the parasite, but that is what kills the fish a lot faster and its very aggressive. The fish suffers tremendously and dies fast. We have to do the opposite and slow down the lifecycle of the parasite which gives the fish time instead of being attacked super aggressively. When you slow down the lifecycle, they become weak and that is when you attack the parasite with everything you have; hypo salinity, peroxide, melafix, API general cure, etc. 68 isn't really that cold, but cold enough to slow down the parasite. Velvet cannot reproduce under 59 degrees. Obviously, we cannot bring the temp that low, but 68 seems to be a good margin where the fish isn't stressed and low enough to slow down the velvet from reproducing and attacking the fish so aggressively.

My flame angel is doing well! I want to kiss his feet every time I see him! I Cann't believe the turn around this fish made. I am still a week and half later in disbelief that the flame angel made it. I can't tell you how much she sank to the sand, laid on her side and thought it was over. Can't believe it. Her tail is starting to grow back as well. I been doing Melafix dips once a day and she's currently in Kanaplex in hyposalinity until Friday. Friday I will start acclimating her to normal salinity and with small dose of melafix every 2-3 days to help recover her fins. I also dose it daily with stress coat. Just very small amounts and I have two air stones in the bucks so its heavily aerated. I will get some updated pictures/videos and try to get the vets info for you!
Well I'm sure a certified exotic marine veterinarian running a licensed business in New York would have no problem establishing a larger customer base. What business would not want to increase their local customers and profit margin.

How did you locate and contact him in your time off need if he doesn't advertise his business anywhere?

But my money is still on Jaques Cousteau. He is the original old school and doesn't do internet or social media either coincidentally and I'm 99.99999% sure what your follow up reply will be here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm sure a certified exotic marine veterinarian running a licensed business in New York would have no problem establishing a larger customer base. What business would not want to increase their local customers and profit margin.

How did you locate and contact him in your time off need if he doesn't advertise his business anywhere?

But my money is still on Jaques Cousteau. He is the original old school and doesn't do internet or social media either coincidentally and I'm 99.99999% sure what your follow up reply will be here.
He doesn't have his own business? I work with him at an emergency vet clinic. He does exotics but he also spends a lot of time in surgery. He doesn't fiddle around handing out business cards. He helps animals and that's what he is happy doing. As I said, he doesn't do social media. He is a private person...what is wrong with that? He's not that type to write articles, books, go online, etc. He works for a emergency clinic who happens to know exotics and knows it well. Im not going to hand out his cell phone so he can answer questions about why someones phosphates are high when he's not that kind of person.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn't have his own business? I work with him at an emergency vet clinic. He does exotics but he also spends a lot of time in surgery. He doesn't fiddle around handing out business cards. He helps animals and that's what he is happy doing. As I said, he doesn't do social media. He is a private person...what is wrong with that? He's not that type to write articles, books, go online, etc. He works for a emergency clinic who happens to know exotics and knows it well. Im not going to hand out his cell phone so he can answer questions about why someones phosphates are high when he's not that kind of person.
My 7th grader can write better fictional stories and the bafoonery here is beyond comprehension.

So to summarize, you actually work with Jaques Cousteau in an exotics animal veterinarian clinic ? You don't want anyone contacting Jaques and of course you will not identify the clinic you work for that apparently has discovered a revolutionary miraculous treatment for a deadly fish disease?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 7th grader can write better fictional stories and the bafoonery here is beyond comprehension.

So to summarize, you actually work with Jaques Cousteau in an exotics animal veterinarian clinic ? You don't want anyone contacting Jaques and of course you will not identify the clinic you work for that apparently has discovered a revolutionary miraculous treatment for a deadly fish disease?
Don't see anything revolutionary about my post. And as I said, why on earth would I give out someones personal contact information??? If my mom cured my fish and she was a vet, am I going to give you her number and information? hmmm.... I doubt it. It's not to me if the man doesn't want people contacting him. Geesuz. Give it a rest already. You can't just assume people have their own business just because their a vet. How many vets actually have their own practice? Enlighten me. I can understand why he has zero social media. He doesn't want to spend his time with keyboard warriors.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see anything revolutionary about my post. And as I said, why on earth would I give out someones personal contact information??? If my mom cured my fish and she was a vet, am I going to give you her number and information? hmmm.... I doubt it. It's not to me if the man doesn't want people contacting him. Geesuz. Give it a rest already. You can't just assume people have their own business just because their a vet. How many vets actually have their own practice? Enlighten me. I can understand why he has zero social media. He doesn't want to spend his time with keyboard warriors.
Ah yes, tis the season. Please tell Jaques we wish him well and can't wait for your next fictional adventure .

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, tis the season. Please tell Jaques we wish him well and can't wait for your next fictional adventure .
Not sure why I would feel the need to make up a story. I posted a video of the fish in her stages so find something better to do othe r than picking on people over nonsense.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back