Vermetid Snails?? Get a wrasse.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 16 bumble snails, they are all over the rocks looking for things to eat, but haven't seen them attack the vermetid snails. I am not feeding the bumble bees just what they can find from left over feedings. I will keep you all posted with my snails.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of Melanurus & 6 Bumblebee snails in a 125 = no more vermitids. Also have a 6-line but he was added after the infestation was erradicated

Broke2Broke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious but for the people using bumblebee snails that says they work, are you guys talking about the big tubed or small tubed vermetied snails? I just don’t see how it would work on the small ones.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious but for the people using bumblebee snails that says they work, are you guys talking about the big tubed or small tubed vermetied snails? I just don’t see how it would work on the small ones.
I purchased 16 bumble for my 30 gallon ots like 4 days. They are all over the rocks.

I haven't seen them physically attack vermetid snails bit have noticed the strings set out are not as crazy or abundant, might me they are detecting the bumbleebee

Acroguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is phisically impossible for a small wrasse like a sixline to break trough the shell of vermited snails.It takes some effort with tweezers to break their shell so how on earth could a 2inch wrasse do it.I dont think that wrasses have anything to do with the disappearance of the vermiteds.Again their jaws are phisically unable to break the shells.I have a pair of sixlines and they dont even bother looking at vermetids.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have live rock that has a lot of vermetid snails that send out sweepers. My possum yellow banded wrasse hunts all the time looking at the rock but I don't see him tackling any of those pest vermetids. I am going to purchase 6 bubble bee snails for my 30 gallon to see if that will help. Is 6 too many or few for a 30 gallon with 30 lbs of live rock? Thanks
I have 30 in a 34g along with 16 red banded trochius . The bumblebees are hard working little cleaners. Red banded trochius are fantastic cleaners also

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 16 bumble bee are with 15. Cerith and 18 astrea snailz. The astrea and cerith do so much cleaning on the rocks.
I have 1 Florida cerith , probably a few more red banded trochius than mentioned above, there are babies I see occasionally. Astreas weren’t long lived but the red banded are, very seldom does one die. Red banded are hard to find these days.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HAVE AWESOME STUFF TO REPORT, TODAY WHEN I WENT TO FEED MY 30 GALLON SYSTEM, THE VERMETID STRINGS ALL DISAPPEARED! All I see is bumble snails tightly fit in crevices throughout all my live rock, I will take a picture, man I need to ask what do I feed these guys if there is no more vermetid snails? I don't want them to die, I have 16 of them that I put in my tank. Thanks,

Acroguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HAVE AWESOME STUFF TO REPORT, TODAY WHEN I WENT TO FEED MY 30 GALLON SYSTEM, THE VERMETID STRINGS ALL DISAPPEARED! All I see is bumble snails tightly fit in crevices throughout all my live rock, I will take a picture, man I need to ask what do I feed these guys if there is no more vermetid snails? I don't want them to die, I have 16 of them that I put in my tank. Thanks,
They will eat everything meaty or dying stuff.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee snails didn't work fast but they did seem to control my vermetid snail population. I never see their mucus nets anymore when I feed
Bumblebee snails didn't work fast but they did seem to control my vermetid snail population. I never see their mucus nets anymore when I feed.

That is exactly what happened to me! I see one stringer now when I feed, compared to like 13 that went out.

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanarus and yellow Coris have done nothing to manage vermetids.

I've tried LOTS of things. Can only suggest superglue gel to manage them.
This is an interesting thread... I do have a couple of bumblebee snails, but I also have a yellow coris wrasse. I think the coris wrasse is more likely the one that cleared out my vermetid issues in the main tank. Now the only place I see them is in the sump. I may move the bumblebees back there to try and get those next!

Back