Vermetid Worm Infestation

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been suffering through a massive vermetid worm infestation in my tank for the past year. It all started from one vermetid worm that sneaked in on a Monti frag. I have well over a hundred worm shells in my 65G and have tried everything to include gluing, forcep removal, reduced feeding, filefish, dog dewormer meds (Fenbendazole), etc. The dog meds and reduced feeding had the most successful impact but did not eradicate these pests for me. I think the population is down to around a dozen or more still living. However, this infestation all started from a single worm, and so I remain concerned if I don't eradicate this pest completely from my tank I will quickly be back in the same situation. I have seen the vermetid worms kill multiple Montis and Acros by covering them in their web, irritating the coral in spots at first and then killing the whole coral.

I am getting ready to tear down the tank and start it over again to get rid of these pests. However, I still have multiple healthy corals and a tankful of healthy fish. My current plan is to put some new live rock in my sump to gain a healthy bacteria population. Next, I would remove all existing live rock from my tank along with their vermetid worm population. Then I would nuke the existing live rock with hydrochloric or bleach and let it completely dry out with a thorough scrubbing to remove the worm population before replacing it back in the tank. Will this work? Can the vermetid worm go through a sump filter sock and infest my new rock in my sump? Any other strategies to make this work? Thank you!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been suffering through a massive vermetid worm infestation in my tank for the past year. It all started from one vermetid worm that sneaked in on a Monti frag. I have well over a hundred worm shells in my 65G and have tried everything to include gluing, forcep removal, reduced feeding, filefish, dog dewormer meds (Fenbendazole), etc. The dog meds and reduced feeding had the most successful impact but did not eradicate these pests for me. I think the population is down to around a dozen or more still living. However, this infestation all started from a single worm, and so I remain concerned if I don't eradicate this pest completely from my tank I will quickly be back in the same situation. I have seen the vermetid worms kill multiple Montis and Acros by covering them in their web, irritating the coral in spots at first and then killing the whole coral.

I am getting ready to tear down the tank and start it over again to get rid of these pests. However, I still have multiple healthy corals and a tankful of healthy fish. My current plan is to put some new live rock in my sump to gain a healthy bacteria population. Next, I would remove all existing live rock from my tank along with their vermetid worm population. Then I would nuke the existing live rock with hydrochloric or bleach and let it completely dry out with a thorough scrubbing to remove the worm population before replacing it back in the tank. Will this work? Can the vermetid worm go through a sump filter sock and infest my new rock in my sump? Any other strategies to make this work? Thank you!
I am also dealing with the same issue. @Flippers4pups had some good ideas when I met up with him yesterday for help. I dont have it quite as bad as you maybe, but enough to have me concerned for sure.
DSC_0004.jpeg
DSC_0005.jpeg
DSC_0002.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
samba_dad

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank looks as thick as yours in multiple areas. Thankfully most of the worms are dead, but the hardened shells are still all over the place. I'll post some pics in
For the tank: Bleach, rinse, rinse, dry. Hydrogen peroxide, rinse, rinse, dry.
For the corals: Dip in Bayer, rinse, rinse, rinse. Here's a good thread on Bayer: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bayer-insecticide-as-a-coral-dip.100496/#post-1112051

Thank you! What about the existing live rock? Same as the tank treatment?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the existing live rock?
That's a tough call without being in your shoes. I'd be torn about tossing the rock, thinking that you could never be sure about killing off all of the worms, and starting over with fresh dry rock. Sorry about your problems. Darned worms :mad:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back