Vermitid snails and copperband butterlfy fish

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thia is highly specicifc and just goes to show an accidental beneficial relationship. It is not advice, just something I've noticed in my experience.

I have a copperbanded butterflyfish, he's been in the tank for 6 months. It would seem that, although mine eats just fine, i noticed the fish does seem to enjoy plucking food from the vermitid snails.

He hunts sepcifically in the hard to reach areas, the mucus strings(?) and literally plucks them from their shells even. Matter fact the sailfin follows him around and also hunts food from the vermitid snails. Matter fact, the sailfin follows him around and also hunts food from the vermitid snails.

Also my feather dusters have all but dissappeared from my DT, after introduction of the fish.

I've long since accepted that I won't win the snail battle. And come to find out they actually serve a purpose other than tearing my skin and cutting me to pieces during tank maintainance.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've long since accepted that I won't win the snail battle. And come to find out they actually serve a purpose other than tearing my skin and cutting me to pieces during tank maintainance.
Nice, and this makes total sense that your copperband is hunting for available food items that it can pick at with that elongated rostrum. I tried adding one but my long time Reef inhabitants ate him clean the first night.

I crushed my vermitids with a blunt object and am glad that they are largely extirpated from my reef.

Then a mojano snuck in and replaced that filter feeding niche and I am missing the vermitids.

So ends my sad tale of reefer woe.
Dan Murrell Kaiser GIF by Movie Trivia Schmoedown

OP
OP
Llyod276

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thousands of them. And i dont care except when i cut the **** out of my hand. Then i have a mini war and they win. Everytime.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back