Versa Head Pressure Issue?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 4x Versa and am really enjoying it, however I do have a problem with one use case.

I am using 2 of the pumps for an automatic water change, both pumps are set to constant mode at ~5ml/min. The fresh saltwater is stored about ~10 feet below the versa pump (basement) on a ~25 foot run of hard RODI 1/4" tubing.

I've calibrated the pumps but am having a problem with the fresh saltwater pump not keeping up with the waste pump. Every time the pump turns there are moments where the pump doesn't hold the pressure and the water in the tubing 'backs up' about 2".

See video.

Any help is very appreciated!

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not program the waste water a little slower ?

OP
OP
heifinator

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fresh salt water eventually completely stops due to the suction from the head pressure.

OP
OP
heifinator

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on this. Ecotech, after replacing the tubing push to connect thinks that "the head pressure is too much for the pump".

This is disappointing as the listed head pressure is "18+ ft". I have measured the height of my run and it is at worst 12ft. It appears the Versa underperforms its own specification for head pressure.

I will post an update with a resolution if we find one, but that is where we are at currently...

OP
OP
heifinator

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give everyone an update on this. After months of trying different tubing, connectors, check valves, etc I have been unable to find a solution. It seems like the Versa, while a fantastic pump, can't handle the ~10ft head pressure for my application.

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the pump pulling or pushing the water?

According to Ecotech, these pumps are way better at pushing rather than pulling.

OP
OP
heifinator

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the pump pulling or pushing the water?

According to Ecotech, these pumps are way better at pushing rather than pulling.

I pinged them on this today and they said the same thing. Its funny in all the back and forward with them they never told me to try that till today!!!

going to get a power supply for a single unit and give that a try :D

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
An update on this. Ecotech, after replacing the tubing push to connect thinks that "the head pressure is too much for the pump".

This is disappointing as the listed head pressure is "18+ ft". I have measured the height of my run and it is at worst 12ft. It appears the Versa underperforms its own specification for head pressure.

I will post an update with a resolution if we find one, but that is where we are at currently...
Its not too much. I can't even use this pump through a 2 chamber calcium reactor without water being retreated back into my last chamber due to head pressure. I have to have my inlet of my reactor raised above my stand in order for my pump to work. This happened after i dropped the flow rate. Not to happy about it.
Screenshot_20200916-075632_APEX Fusion.jpg

Cain310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack of feedback/transparency regarding the versa is troubling from a company who had/has? the market right where they want them.

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not too much. I can't even use this pump through a 2 chamber calcium reactor without water being retreated back into my last chamber due to head pressure. I have to have my inlet of my reactor raised above my stand in order for my pump to work. This happened after i dropped the flow rate. Not to happy about it.

Is it possible to run your calcium reactor with the pump closer to the reactor so that it is sucking less and pushing more? The pumps function better under pressure than suction.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is it possible to run your calcium reactor with the pump closer to the reactor so that it is sucking less and pushing more? The pumps function better under pressure than suction.
I'll have to get a photo when I get home. Its about 9 inches out the second chamber into the dosing pump. I tried mounting the pump lower then the last chamber to see if it would help out but just never worked out. It made no sense to me that It seemed like I was pulling a vacuum in a pressurize unit. So I took my calcium reactor apart, cleaned everything out including the media, replaced the lines and ran shorter with the tubing.

The pump will work for a day or so then will just fail to pull at anything less then 18ml per minute. What I think is happening, is that the air/gas thats allowed to accumulate inside the reactor, is creating more head for my dosing pump to work properly. I have it setup so any accumulated air, will get purged out via dosing pump.

Don't get me wrong I love the versa, everything about it is wonderful. Im not an engineer but something is telling me it needs bigger rollers.

velkomen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds like you have a long line on the suction which is called 'suction head' and the pump is not priming. Put the pump downstairs and allow it to prime at which point it will develop the sufficient head pressure to discharge upstairs as desired.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back