Very Injured Snowflake

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
The snowflake has made it through these past few days. His wounds are pretty bad but they do seem to be healing. It looks like some air got into his respiratory holes and that he may have air stuck in there, probably due to the air stone and his position. His upper portion is buoyant, to add to the problems. What can be done? I do not think it can resolve on its own. There is an equal sized injury on the other side as well. Thank you
@Humblefish @Jay Hemdal

IMG_3095.jpeg IMG_3096.jpeg
The eye seems clearer and I don’t see any signs of an infection, but the wound edges still look raw to me, little evidence of healing.

I’m not sure I understand about the air being trapped, can you post a video?

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone,

I would like to share the progress of the seriously injured eel and also thank you all for your timely and efforts to help us.
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 @littlefoxx
@MnFish1 @Slocke, sorry if I missed anyone.

Initially it looked like he lost his eye but today is the first day I can see it, though I’m sure he lost vision in the left eye.

The tessalatta has been off his food for a good while, I do not know why, he was an excellent eater and ate a good variety of foods, he probably got triggered when the other eel took the food, he’s hungry I’m sure.
He is not eating, whatever I offer.

Update pics,

Attachments

• IMG_3344.jpeg
    IMG_3344.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3342.jpeg
    IMG_3342.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 23

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good evening everyone,

I would like to share the progress of the seriously injured eel and also thank you all for your timely and efforts to help us.

Initially it looked like he lost his eye but today is the first day I can see it, though I’m sure he lost vision in the left eye.

The tessalatta has been off his food for a good while, I do not know why, he was an excellent eater and ate a good variety of foods, he probably got triggered when the other eel took the food, he’s hungry I’m sure.

Update pics,
Eye is cloudy. Did you treat with suggested Kanaplex?
What is Nitrate level today? Not eating often associated with water quality.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone,

Update pics,
Yay! What a tough cookie. He looks really good!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone,

Great to hear
It’s normal for eels to not eat for a few weeks. They prefer to gorge and have slow metabolisms. Fresh seafood works best for me when my eels aren’t eating. They love salmon, squid, and shrimp.

But overall though I usually feed every week if one of my eels doesn’t eat for a month I’m not worried.

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eye is cloudy. Did you treat with suggested Kanaplex?
What is Nitrate level today? Not eating often associated with water quality.
Yes I did treat with what you suggested. The eye is actually immaculate, it was not visible at all, I thought it was lost, it is an immense improvement. The tess is hungry and he comes for food, smells it and leaves. Nitrate is 25 with salifert.

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear

It’s normal for eels to not eat for a few weeks. They prefer to gorge and have slow metabolisms. Fresh seafood works best for me when my eels aren’t eating. They love salmon, squid, and shrimp.

But overall though I usually feed every week if one of my eels doesn’t eat for a month I’m not worried.
I did try fresh salmon and fresh squid, it’s been more than a month now. I’ll keep trying

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes I did treat with what you suggested. The eye is actually immaculate, it was not visible at all, I thought it was lost, it is an immense improvement. The tess is hungry and he comes for food, smells it and leaves. Nitrate is 25 with salifert.
See if you can get it down to 15. Often doing 3 gallon water changes daily will will help bring it down.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone,

Update pics,

Good to see!

I'm a little concerned because both eels are off their feed. That implies there could be a secondary issue related to both fish...of just a coincidence.

Also, there is still going to be a risk that the tesselata will bite the snowflake again in the future.

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see!

I'm a little concerned because both eels are off their feed. That implies there could be a secondary issue related to both fish...of just a coincidence.

Also, there is still going to be a risk that the tesselata will bite the snowflake again in the future.
They are separated now. The snowflake was eating fine when they were together and the attack occurred

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my god, and i thought that my Tess did worse to my other eel, I guess that was not the case, i am glad that your eel was able to fight through it!

Incase if you don't use activated carbon i suggest that you use it if you don't have any tangs since there's a high chance of hlle (hole lateral line erosion) in tang's, but in the case of eel's it helps a lot, it worked for my Tessalata when he wasn't eating, the carbon usually works by removing toxins from the slime coat of eel's which can get accumulated due to the closed ecosystem, though, does nitrates really cause eel's not to eat? I haven't experienced that even when my nitrates were over 80 so I usually don't worry, it's been about a year and none of my eel's have ever gone through a hunger strike

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back