Vibrant Killing Corals..

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bummer, I try to avoid products and use natural methods or manual removal. I would only use something like this as a last resort. I actually have a bottle that came with a used tank I bought. That tank was struggling so it came with a lot of... chemicals... none I used but stored them away in case I ever become a desperate soul. The tank was fixed right up with a new sand bed and regular water changes.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing where a change took place after the addition of vibrant is ORP. My orp is usually between 380-400, after addition of vibrant orp dropped to 204! In time since(between 24-36hrs) it’s up to 289 currently.
I started with a half dose, which for me means that I added 7ml to my 140 gallons of total water volume. It had absolutely no impact on my ORP.

This is pretty good evidence that it's not the vibrant, but some other unseen change that caused the die-off.
(Low ORP doesn't kill corals, but low ORP can be a sign of something unseen changing in the tank that can be destructive.)
Thank y'all both for your attention to detail and careful observations. It is helpful to others.

It's important to remember that "I know of nothing else that changed" is not the same as "nothing else changed."

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many possibilities for this other than Vibrant. Blaming them without scientific data is a little risky. I'm not doubting you that this has happened while dosing, but I have dosed their product many many times and have NEVER had an issue. I'm actually dosing now and have been for a month, and just placed an order for 2 more 16 oz bottles. I believe and trust in their product, but I know its possible, but not definitive that your loss is directly related to Vibrant.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many possibilities for this other than Vibrant. Blaming them without scientific data is a little risky. I'm not doubting you that this has happened while dosing, but I have dosed their product many many times and have NEVER had an issue. I'm actually dosing now and have been for a month, and just placed an order for 2 more 16 oz bottles. I believe and trust in their product, but I know its possible, but not definitive that your loss is directly related to Vibrant.

I understand your positive experience with vibrant but that in no way means that the product can’t have negative effects in others systems. From my research online and messages from others I know I’m not the only one who has lost corals after addition of vibrant.

The only variable on my established reef is the addition of vibrant, that is the variable. I’m not guessing if it was the only change in the system, I know for a FACT it was the only change. I test my system daily for nitrate/phosphate and have the trident for ca/alk/mg. I double check those measurements weekly with salifert. So anything I can test for I test for. In this data their is no outlier, no swings except the orp.

People seem very quick to blame end users when they have had success with a product but others have had issues.

As for scientific testing, underwater creations(creator of vibrant) don’t have any literature on there site of independent scientific studies of the product. They only have end user reviews. They don’t even have any independent guarantee of analysis of what you’re getting in the bottle. You’re just taking their word for it on the breakdown. I’m sure this is likely common among most additive companies.

At the end of the day all I want is to provide data/information to other users/potential users. I don’t want anything from the creators of vibrant. I have sent water samples out so hopefully I’ll have even more data in a week or so to share. I’m happy for people that have had great experiences with the product, I don’t doubt their claims of positive experiences, so it’s a little disheartening to see a negative experience not get the same kind of respect. I’m just trying to give others a heads up that something negative may happen in your reef.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CORRECTION; ORP drop was from water change. I did a 20% water change the day after dosing vibrant so that’s why my ORP dropped. Which is normal for my system, I misread the day on the apex graph. Sorry for confusion

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that every tank is different nothing is a one size fits all. However if 3ml in a 100g tank caused issues in your particular system wouldnt the correct dose in a much smaller tank do massive damage?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a good question to ask is what else are we dosing in our tanks that could have caused a bad reaction when vibrant was added?

This includes all things: alk, mag, cal, phyto, aminos, ect. Even consider manufacturers. This could be why some have had fine experiences and some not so fine.

So for example I could be using Fuel and you're not. We both dose vibrant and I have a negative response and you don't. Or I use Red Sea calcium and you use brightwell and one of us has a bad reaction and one doesn't after using vibrant. I think ya'll understand what I'm saying.

Just something to think about.

I've used vibrant on two different occasions with a large gap of time in between the usage. Also the things being dosed to the tank at those times was different.The first occasion I believed I had a positive response. The second I believe I had negative response after adding.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that every tank is different nothing is a one size fits all. However if 3ml in a 100g tank caused issues in your particular system wouldnt the correct dose in a much smaller tank do massive damage?

Like you said every tank, every situation is different. I can only speak on my experience. You have seen others say they had positive experiences. Some may be using much higher dosage than recommended with no negative results, only positive experiences. Some may use the recommended amount and have positive results but maybe lose a Zoa or paly. From my reading and communicating with others it seems their is examples of all. I’m just sharing my experience.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow sorry to hear this. I’ve used it for 6 months now with everything from Acropora to zoas. Even my inferno bta and mini carpet nems went through it. This is in my coral qt though.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a good question to ask is what else are we dosing in our tanks that could have caused a bad reaction when vibrant was added?

This includes all things: alk, mag, cal, phyto, aminos, ect. Even consider manufacturers. This could be why some have had fine experiences and some not so fine.

So for example I could be using Fuel and you're not. We both dose vibrant and I have a negative response and you don't. Or I use Red Sea calcium and you use brightwell and one of us has a bad reaction and one doesn't after using vibrant. I think ya'll understand what I'm saying.

Just something to think about.

I've used vibrant on two different occasions with a large gap of time in between the usage. Also the things being dosed to the tank at those times was different.The first occasion I believed I had a positive response. The second I believe I had negative response after adding.

I agree with your logic. For me the only thing I dose is ESV alk/ca/mag and Acropower. I dose manually and have been dosing these for at least the past year and a half. It’s interesting your theory on the combination of different brands/products can cause another product to have negative results. Reef tanks are extremely complex that we try to have in our houses, so it wouldn’t surprise me for something like that to happen.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've dosed vibrant at 10x with no ill effects. I've also been using Vibrant on all my and my friend's systems for 3 years, that's a total of 8 tank with different ages, from new to 6 year-old systems. Every single one a huge success. I am so sorry for your losses - but I seriously doubt it was vibrant.

Vibrant does not bottom out nitrates at your dose. It didn't even bottom them out for me at 10x, but it did lower them significantly over the next day or 2.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll jump on the wagon of what I am dosing/feeding to see if that helps:
Calcium Reactor + B-ionic to supplement for alk, mag, cal
phyto - yes sometimes
aminos - yes - red sea reef energy A+B
Red Sea colors A, B, C, D
Nitrates + Phosphates randomly dosed if I let them drop too low, but hadn't been an issue in 6 months
Food - mysis shrimp + PE dry, Reef Roids
Carbon on all systems - Rox 8
Silicates dosed weekly in my main frag system in addition to all above
Salt for water changes - Red Sea, Red Sea Pro, Instant Ocean - I switch things up.

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks to hear this. Hope you bounce back. Thank you for posting this thread tho, I was thinking about trying out vibrant for the bit of algae I have but definitely will look for other alternatives now.

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I bought it direct and it’s the “reef” version. Maybe it was contaminated, no way for me to know. I just want to give others out there the realization that it can have a serious negative impact. Maybe 90% of users will never have a issue but the 10% should be forewarned a risk is involved when you have a lot of money invested in coral.
I’m sorry this is happening to you and I to am very doubtful it was the 3ml of solution you added that had this effect. Have you had your hands in the tank at all in the same time frame? How about aerosol cleaning agents used near by? I would suspect contamination but I take most of the antidotal claims out there with a grain of salt. As with any concoction folks add to their tanks, unknowing of the contents of its proprietary blend, do so with an assumption of risk.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back