Vibrant Killing Corals..

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dinos and put 25-30 ml into my 75g and wiped them out. Corals weren’t as “open” for a couple of days, then bounced back.....

3ml into a 100G makes me think something else is going on

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll jump on the wagon of what I am dosing/feeding to see if that helps:
Calcium Reactor + B-ionic to supplement for alk, mag, cal
phyto - yes sometimes
aminos - yes - red sea reef energy A+B
Red Sea colors A, B, C, D
Nitrates + Phosphates randomly dosed if I let them drop too low, but hadn't been an issue in 6 months
Food - mysis shrimp + PE dry, Reef Roids
Carbon on all systems - Rox 8
Silicates dosed weekly in my main frag system in addition to all above
Salt for water changes - Red Sea, Red Sea Pro, Instant Ocean - I switch things up.
Thank you for your information. Like I mentioned above I only dose ESV for all/ca/mag plus acropower. I on occasion dose for nitrates with brightwells nitrate product(drawing a blank on name right now). For salt I use H.W.reefer salt. I don't run carbon, unless their has been some sort of issue, ie right now. Food is the exact same but I will also mix in reef chili. That's it.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry this is happening to you and I to am very doubtful it was the 3ml of solution you added that had this effect. Have you had your hands in the tank at all in the same time frame? How about aerosol cleaning agents used near by? I would suspect contamination but I take most of the antidotal claims out there with a grain of salt. As with any concoction folks add to their tanks, unknowing of the contents of its proprietary blend, do so with an assumption of risk.
Nope I keep a really thorough log of anytime I work on my tank and I never had my hands in it. Last time was just over 4 months ago to glue a frag down that somehow got loose. I also don't spray anything within prob 50feet plus of the tank, it's located in my built out basement. I've been in this hobby over 15years and this is my first experience with something like this. Usually their is a cause you can think of pretty quick, accidental overdose/etc but I have nothing that sticks out. I don't doubt users positive experiences but I felt I should share mine. When I get my water test results back I will be more than happy to share them with the community. I just know all my testing is showing everything as being stable and consistent with past measurements. I take responsibility for putting it in my tank and I'm surely not blaming anyone. I just want people, fellow hobbyists, to know that this happened. Let everyone have all the information, good or bad, and make their own decisions.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing vibrant on my new tank when i started running Ozone
I ran ozone on one of my old tanks, a heavily stocked aggressive 220, and it was a great addition. In that system it dramatically approved water clarity. Good luck with the new tank!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using it weekly for 2 months. I had bubble algae that went away after a month, but it makes my tank look so good so I continue to use it, no issues at all. Coral is growing better than ever!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We will have to agree to disagree. I haven’t changed anything. Just like you have a positive experience with the product, others like myself, have lost corals and seen negative results. The more research I have done I have read others have lost corals. I’m not the first. I log everything I put in my tank, even anytime I work in the tank. I know for a fact nothing else changed.
I am not willing to say 'it isnt vibrant' - but - I would suggest it could be coincidence. After all - at least a couple people have had die offs of their corals in the last several weeks - I have had some problems as well.

It could very well be that whatever problem in your tank caused whatever algae you were trying to get rid of - got worse coincidentally with the extremely miniscule dose of vibrant you were using. Unfortunately - I agree with some others - it doesnt make sense that that dose of vibrant would do this. I would look elsewhere.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with your logic. For me the only thing I dose is ESV alk/ca/mag and Acropower. I dose manually and have been dosing these for at least the past year and a half. It’s interesting your theory on the combination of different brands/products can cause another product to have negative results. Reef tanks are extremely complex that we try to have in our houses, so it wouldn’t surprise me for something like that to happen.
But you did a water change as well right - and your ORP dropped - or did I misunderstand

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were a larger dose, I would say “oh, so absence of algae for the vibrant to feed off of lead to the coral-apocalypse....”.

But with such a small dose, algae present or not..... I would look into other possibilities as well. Salt change? anything really...... Just seems crazy. I guess you’re doing the water-test, so that may shed a light.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you did a water change as well right - and your ORP dropped - or did I misunderstand
Sorry about that confusion I did a water change which caused the ORP to drop, which is normal for my tank/at least according to my apex. Takes a few days for my ORP to climb back up after a water change. I did a water change right around 24hrs after I dosed vibrant/started to see corals flesh peeling off. I did a 20% change and started running carbon once I saw what was going on inside the tank. Hopefully that clears up confusion on that part. My last prior water change to dosing vibrant, I believe was 4 days prior. I don't have my log file on this device but I'm pretty sure it was four days prior. I always do a 15-20% water change every two weeks in general.

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to here that. I recently posted a hair algae and slight cyano assault on my tank and someone suggested vibrant or 1ml peroxide per 10 gallons. I put 10ml in my 225 at 5:00 pm and at 4:30 Am the tank went completely red and bleached 4 sps dead. I changed 100 gallons and vowed to never use anymore chemicals. I like the sea hare idea.

jelee01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience, FWIW, is similar to the previous post by billdogg. But as with anything in this hobby, I feel every system is different and the old adage of your mileage may vary can certainly apply to use of any supplements. I hope things improve for you!

Last edited:

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry this is happening to you and I to am very doubtful it was the 3ml of solution you added that had this effect. Have you had your hands in the tank at all in the same time frame? How about aerosol cleaning agents used near by? I would suspect contamination but I take most of the antidotal claims out there with a grain of salt. As with any concoction folks add to their tanks, unknowing of the contents of its proprietary blend, do so with an assumption of risk.
THIS......Is exactly what I meant on my comment....So many more variables and possibilities.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to here that. I recently posted a hair algae and slight cyano assault on my tank and someone suggested vibrant or 1ml peroxide per 10 gallons. I put 10ml in my 225 at 5:00 pm and at 4:30 Am the tank went completely red and bleached 4 sps dead. I changed 100 gallons and vowed to never use anymore chemicals. I like the sea hare idea.

Well I can tell you beside me, their are others out there who have had similar experiences of losing corals. I also have never been big on chemical solutions but my interest in testing a new chemical(to me) out got the best of me. I wish I never did but hindsight is 20/20.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I can tell you beside me, their are others out there who have had similar experiences of losing corals. I also have never been big on chemical solutions but my interest in testing a new chemical(to me) out got the best of me. I wish I never did but hindsight is 20/20.
My serious question - without blaming vibrant - could it be that vibrant causes chamical changes ( nitrate, etc - orare others (as I was tempted to do) doing other things besides vibrant to fix the problem

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all of your troubles. I have had nothing but success with vibrant dosing to get rid of turf algae. I have mostly softies and fish and nothing has been affected. Just the opposite, all is doing very well. As I understand it as mentioned before, vibrant contains bacteria that specifically target algae.

BeachBumm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were a larger dose, I would say “oh, so absence of algae for the vibrant to feed off of lead to the coral-apocalypse....”.

But with such a small dose, algae present or not..... I would look into other possibilities as well. Salt change? anything really...... Just seems crazy. I guess you’re doing the water-test, so that may shed a light.

I would contact the manufacturer of Vibrant and let them know what happened . Maybe it was a bad batch ? Maybe the contents of the bottle were not what they were supposed to be ? Just thinking outside the box . But I would definitely let them know regardless , just in case that was the issue and prevent it from happening to anyone else !! Save the bottle if you still have it just in case !

3420 Boone Avenue South

St. Louis Park, Mn, 55426

612-220-8825 The companies phone number

Last edited:

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if anyone asked this yet but were did you get it from? maybe you got a bunk batch because they have different kinds for reef for fish only and a freshwater one. maybe someone goofed on the batch you got or it was bootlegged if not from a good seller. maybe just toss it and try again from a different seller.

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it killed an algae or some kind of hitchhiker that released some sort of toxin into the water. Whatever the case may be, my condolences, dude. Wipeouts like that are the worst. It's always more painful than you'd expect it to be.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back