Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops! ;)

DSC_0007 (1024x683).jpg
May I rent her for a short time. I promise you she will be fat when returned.

Victoria
I never got notifications on your build thread and it fell of my watches list. Ugh

I use Apex for my MP40’s but will need to switch them and my lights. Haven’t because well you know what happens trying to get things set up.
I’ll becoming to you for help

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been getting notifications about your updates!!! I’ve got some reading to do!

On the Aiptasia front: my single aiptasia that came in on my feather duster has multiplied exponentially. I covered it with glue, but it reappeared and literally overnight a few months ago I woke up to find dozens. Now easily 50-60.

I added 8 berghia nudibranches to combat about a month ago, and I see 1-2 around at night. Apparently they take a few months to eat everything, so it’s a waiting game. I’m having to siphon the ones out of the sand every couple weeks

U

User1

View Badges
I haven’t been getting notifications about your updates!!! I’ve got some reading to do!

On the Aiptasia front: my single aiptasia that came in on my feather duster has multiplied exponentially. I covered it with glue, but it reappeared and literally overnight a few months ago I woke up to find dozens. Now easily 50-60.

I added 8 berghia nudibranches to combat about a month ago, and I see 1-2 around at night. Apparently they take a few months to eat everything, so it’s a waiting game. I’m having to siphon the ones out of the sand every couple weeks

On the Aiptasia front I had a BIOTA captive raised/bred matted filefish for control. I may have mentioned it here in an earlier post but it was great. However, I recently traded it in to the LFS near me. I already knew it didn't like Zoa's and confused them with skittles. So I couldn't keep them since he/she would eat them. I watched it picked at a few other corals but they managed the drive by nips. I introduced a frogspawn frag that was pretty small and it went right for it. Not even 5 minutes and it took it out to the skeleton. So that was it and during its deep sleep I netted it and that was it.

Enter a week later the Aiptasia that it was keeping in check is back and larger :) So I went looking for peppermint shrimp. I'm not a fan of shrimp as they are opportunistic feeders and will steal from corals such as elegance or others that we feed due to large mouths. So where am I going with this....sorry. I couldn't really find any peppermint shrimp. Seems maybe they are seasonal (who would have though). Anyway I found some at Algae Barn so ordered. They arrived yesterday.

SMALL. No fault of Algae Barn but wow - I wish they would have said extra small or young or recently raised. I had to turn off the displays lights after acclimation to introduce because I figure my Copperband Butterfly is going to find them and have a nice dinner :( I'm not sure they are going to make it. So about 100 bucks down the drain.

tl; dr if you are looking for peppermint shrimp Algae Barn has them but don't order unless you have a refugium to grow them out. They are too small.

Edit: Hope all is well with everyone. I'm also not getting updates. I figured I was maybe cut from the party.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Aiptasia front I had a BIOTA captive raised/bred matted filefish for control. I may have mentioned it here in an earlier post but it was great. However, I recently traded it in to the LFS near me. I already knew it didn't like Zoa's and confused them with skittles. So I couldn't keep them since he/she would eat them. I watched it picked at a few other corals but they managed the drive by nips. I introduced a frogspawn frag that was pretty small and it went right for it. Not even 5 minutes and it took it out to the skeleton. So that was it and during its deep sleep I netted it and that was it.

Enter a week later the Aiptasia that it was keeping in check is back and larger :) So I went looking for peppermint shrimp. I'm not a fan of shrimp as they are opportunistic feeders and will steal from corals such as elegance or others that we feed due to large mouths. So where am I going with this....sorry. I couldn't really find any peppermint shrimp. Seems maybe they are seasonal (who would have though). Anyway I found some at Algae Barn so ordered. They arrived yesterday.

SMALL. No fault of Algae Barn but wow - I wish they would have said extra small or young or recently raised. I had to turn off the displays lights after acclimation to introduce because I figure my Copperband Butterfly is going to find them and have a nice dinner :( I'm not sure they are going to make it. So about 100 bucks down the drain.

tl; dr if you are looking for peppermint shrimp Algae Barn has them but don't order unless you have a refugium to grow them out. They are too small.

Edit: Hope all is well with everyone. I'm also not getting updates. I figured I was maybe cut from the party.
Thanks for the heads up. Was going to order peppermints from algaebarn but was afraid they would be small so I held off

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@neilp2006 @saf1
I have not been updating a whole bunch so no worries friends.
me neither. so much craziness right now. girls are growing and napping is now officially a thing of the past. Dadding both girls (2 and 4) is now a full time job

i keep pretending to myself that im going to do a video update of my system, and of my workshop build, and dreaming of the big bucks youtube will send me for the views. then i remember i only have like 5 regulars in my thread, so thats probably not going to go anywhere...

22 years of school, and now im early 40's watching old colleagues get proffesorships (i wont comment on if thats performance based or kiss-butt based) while i am barely managing keeping snack time healthy and not doing too much TV. uuuggghh. and now im in my head.

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for the heads up. Was going to order peppermints from algaebarn but was afraid they would be small so I held off

You are welcome. I wish I snapped a photo or two but didn't think of it until it was too late :( If you have ordered from them before you know they ship in those little jar things so clearly had to fit in there. If you are familiar with freshwater ghost shrimp that is what I thought I received as they didn't have any watermelon or pink color at all :)

Anyway great service. Package arrived on time, etc. No complaints other than super small :D So if you can find elsewhere I would recommend it.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the aptasia front I have made some progress!

BB0C606F-BE30-45E2-BD7F-F2F83ACB4D83.jpeg
9DAAFBF9-80FF-45E3-840A-AD74FCDC34F3.jpeg

Gonna catch that scarlet pinstripe wrasse!
Do you *like* zoas, or do you have them because it’s ‘expected’? Genuinely curious.

I personally just don’t understand the appeal, but recognize I’m in the minority. Now, a nice acan or fungia plate...;Happy

U

User1

View Badges
Do you *like* zoas, or do you have them because it’s ‘expected’? Genuinely curious.

I personally just don’t understand the appeal, but recognize I’m in the minority. Now, a nice acan or fungia plate...;Happy

Not really in the minority. I'm not a huge fan of them either. Partly because I've always had fish that would snack on them. Never really had any take off or spread. I also believe that you can add a 6 pack of them on the same rock that start to look like a bowl of fruit loops. A couple months later as they grow and merge together one will become the dominate one and others fade away. So no more bowl of fruit loops :)

I have these zoa looking nuclear green pally things running amuck in my tank. I have been looking for a natural predator and came across a gaudy clown crab that eats them. So that is on my list to buy once I find one or two in stock :)

I know not directed at me but the "minority" part caught me and no - you are not alone :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back