Victoria Music's Custom 180 Rebuild

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really in the minority. I'm not a huge fan of them either. Partly because I've always had fish that would snack on them. Never really had any take off or spread. I also believe that you can add a 6 pack of them on the same rock that start to look like a bowl of fruit loops. A couple months later as they grow and merge together one will become the dominate one and others fade away. So no more bowl of fruit loops :)

I have these zoa looking nuclear green pally things running amuck in my tank. I have been looking for a natural predator and came across a gaudy clown crab that eats them. So that is on my list to buy once I find one or two in stock :)

I know not directed at me but the "minority" part caught me and no - you are not alone :D
Makes me feel better knowing I’m in such good company!

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really in the minority. I'm not a huge fan of them either. Partly because I've always had fish that would snack on them. Never really had any take off or spread. I also believe that you can add a 6 pack of them on the same rock that start to look like a bowl of fruit loops. A couple months later as they grow and merge together one will become the dominate one and others fade away. So no more bowl of fruit loops :)

I have these zoa looking nuclear green pally things running amuck in my tank. I have been looking for a natural predator and came across a gaudy clown crab that eats them. So that is on my list to buy once I find one or two in stock :)

I know not directed at me but the "minority" part caught me and no - you are not alone :D
Picture of this paly would be awesome!

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman
For the first time in my life I got a fresh water aquarium bloom. Annubias Nana if I remember right. I am so excited!

BE33B1C9-EFAF-49B4-AA45-CF527B4F72C9.jpeg
63CBFC78-3DF0-456F-9987-3E8FF7808507.jpeg
0D8E96FA-9332-4DD8-B69D-8E6697259F1F.jpeg
A248C36F-22A4-4D0F-86A5-DD78B820B002.jpeg

Please overlook the alanatural cyano.

U

User1

View Badges
:D Ok, I'm teasing although that is my baby girl. Well, she is almost 5.

Nothing fancy. Little bit of a cyno outbreak. I'm thinking my nitrates are too low at around 0 to 3 according to the nyos kit. Phosphates are around .06 I think according to Hanna. So I'm going to dose a bit of loudwolf sodium nitrate and see how that goes.

Still strongly considering taking the tank down or possibly doing a side grade. 30" tall is amazing but with the tank a total of 60" height and my hip replacement it is a bit much to do any work inside. There are a few corals behind the middle orange monticap that I need to move as it starts to grow more.

I really didn't think the tank size through but then again I didn't know I had to have a hip replacement then either. So April 2018 was when I moved my 40 breeder into this. 170 lbs of dry pukani - never again. Almost 2 1/2 years later that rock is still not fully mature in my opinion. I can lift a piece, turn it 180 degrees, and the back side doesn't look anything like what you see here. If I split one in half, and I did this about a month ago, it looks like I just put it in there. I expect the center to look like that but not the nooks and crannies - something should be in there.

Edit: I recently added a pearl white bubble coral. It is turning tan / cream. I received a mysterious SPS frag that was white (maybe partial bleached) and it is now turning pink. I also received a chocolate SPS frag - it was really dark brown - and it is now turning green with yellow polyps. Interesting how it changes from the purchase source to destination due to lights and nutrients.

IMG_20200827_113156.jpg

IMG_20200827_113703.jpg

Base rock for reference:
1111.JPG

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Ok, I'm teasing although that is my baby girl. Well, she is almost 5.

Nothing fancy. Little bit of a cyno outbreak. I'm thinking my nitrates are too low at around 0 to 3 according to the nyos kit. Phosphates are around .06 I think according to Hanna. So I'm going to dose a bit of loudwolf sodium nitrate and see how that goes.

Still strongly considering taking the tank down or possibly doing a side grade. 30" tall is amazing but with the tank a total of 60" height and my hip replacement it is a bit much to do any work inside. There are a few corals behind the middle orange monticap that I need to move as it starts to grow more.

I really didn't think the tank size through but then again I didn't know I had to have a hip replacement then either. So April 2018 was when I moved my 40 breeder into this. 170 lbs of dry pukani - never again. Almost 2 1/2 years later that rock is still not fully mature in my opinion. I can lift a piece, turn it 180 degrees, and the back side doesn't look anything like what you see here. If I split one in half, and I did this about a month ago, it looks like I just put it in there. I expect the center to look like that but not the nooks and crannies - something should be in there.

Edit: I recently added a pearl white bubble coral. It is turning tan / cream. I received a mysterious SPS frag that was white (maybe partial bleached) and it is now turning pink. I also received a chocolate SPS frag - it was really dark brown - and it is now turning green with yellow polyps. Interesting how it changes from the purchase source to destination due to lights and nutrients.

IMG_20200827_113156.jpg

IMG_20200827_113703.jpg

Base rock for reference:
1111.JPG
Wow, you went all out with his reply. Pictures and everything. I think it looks great ! I understand what you’re saying about the 30 inches though... mine is the same. But for now I’m gonna keep it and keep going couple of things that I’ve done that has made it really easy to take care of. You know except for breaking Coral and needing to reglue them and needing to catch a stupid wrasse.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack your thread Victoria- but I a question for everyone

We just saw a house last week that Katie is in love with- but presents a couple challenges. Main one is that although I would have space for a 400g, it only works if we converted the formal dining room, at the front of the house, away from the main living areas, as a tank showroom and library. Think fish store display and contemplation room. Think 8’ x3’ peninsula projecting into the middle of a 16x20’ room. Katie is all for the idea

I’m worried it’ll get neglected since traffick wouldn’t be incidental while we are in the living space- a conscious effort to go check out the tank would have to be made. I’m worried I’d end up being the only person ever seeing it

where do you guys have your display tanks, and do you think it gets enough traffic?

The view that’s creating the buzz...

3CD8DF57-4D52-458C-A4CE-438AC03EFC7A.jpeg

sorry for the intrusion

U

User1

View Badges
Sorry to hijack your thread Victoria- but I a question for everyone

We just saw a house last week that Katie is in love with- but presents a couple challenges. Main one is that although I would have space for a 400g, it only works if we converted the formal dining room, at the front of the house, away from the main living areas, as a tank showroom and library. Think fish store display and contemplation room. Think 8’ x3’ peninsula projecting into the middle of a 16x20’ room. Katie is all for the idea

I’m worried it’ll get neglected since traffick wouldn’t be incidental while we are in the living space- a conscious effort to go check out the tank would have to be made. I’m worried I’d end up being the only person ever seeing it

where do you guys have your display tanks, and do you think it gets enough traffic?

The view that’s creating the buzz...

3CD8DF57-4D52-458C-A4CE-438AC03EFC7A.jpeg

sorry for the intrusion

My last two tanks have been in my den and office. Years ago I had a 100 gallon that was in the family room. We thought about selling the house and a few interested buyers asked if the tank was included...

Traffic question. The current display which is 210 gallons was going to be a in-wall in the office. The opposite side is a hallway leading to bedrooms and teen room (an exercise room now being converted to sewing). The thought was that it would get more visibility from both sides but in the end I didn't want to tear in the wall. So it in office/den it is.

It doesn't get a lot of traffic right now. I believe once I have the room finished and some clutter cleaned up it may get a bit more. Hard to say as our children are getting ready to fly as they wrap up college and my wife is not really a fish tank person. She supports the hobby but not one to sit in front of it if that makes sense. Maybe will change once I get proper seating and a bottle of wine. Ok - kidding on the wine. But that is it I guess.

Mine doesn't get a lot of traffic but it isn't really "there" yet to deserve it. Also when we bought the house I didn't really think ahead if I had a tank could it go here, or there, etc. So as I write this I don't think I'm helping other than my tank mine is out of the way so unless they know I have it are not ones to go into my office and say HEY NICE TANK.

Edit: I can respect why the view is creating a buzz. Very pretty.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info @saf1 - I suspect many people have a similar situation. I mean- how many people can really plan to include a big tank in a house purchase when kids, spousal needs and buy in etc are also a consideration.

my tank right now is in the wall between my wife’s office and the living room. Wecan view it from both long sides- which is something I want to continue *at the very least*. Doesn’t leave us with many options in the neighborhood we are looking at.

unless we build. Then we get exactly what we want as long as budget is kept in check. But we are looking at an 18 month wait...

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My birthday is fast approaching. What do I want??? Something just for me? Something for my tank? I wanted to take a bike over night trip but that is not gonna happen. Can I say outloud that I wish I had a friend who was interested in some new adventures? I miss my four wheeling so much my nose and eyes sting as I say it. But you just cant do that alone. It is too dangerous. I flipped my ATV once and got pinned under it. I would have been trapped until someone came along. So no for that. And I am not the kind of person to just go off all alone to bike and camp alone. Just not that girl...yet....
I want to brag that I am now regularly biking 10 miles and last week I biked 20 miles twice. On my terra trike! This thing is so much fun!
7B4EDAC8-C25C-4EEE-BFDA-58749538B151.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My birthday is fast approaching. What do I want??? Something just for me? Something for my tank? I wanted to take a bike over night trip but that is not gonna happen. Can I say outloud that I wish I had a friend who was interested in some new adventures? I miss my four wheeling so much my nose and eyes sting as I say it. But you just cant do that alone. It is too dangerous. I flipped my ATV once and got pinned under it. I would have been trapped until someone came along. So no for that. And I am not the kind of person to just go off all alone to bike and camp alone. Just not that girl...yet....
I want to brag that I am now regularly biking 10 miles and last week I biked 20 miles twice. On my terra trike! This thing is so much fun!
7B4EDAC8-C25C-4EEE-BFDA-58749538B151.jpeg
Sorry you can't find a biking or ATV buddy! ;Sorry

It's great you are getting out and enjoying the ride! Hopefully we will have a long fall so you can keep riding. Or maybe you should ask for snow tires for the trike! :p

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome on your biking progress- amazing!

sorry about not having a buddy.

In California, before scuba, I would do 2-3 day mountain bike trips around Henry coe state park. Off site back country camping kinda deal.

Then I met Katie and her idea of camping SO DOES NOT meld with mine. Espresso machines and blow up mattresses. And generators. Nope.

Scuba is the same. I hate not knowing how well trained a buddy is, so I trained mine myself. Then we moved landlocked and haven’t been diving in years.

I took up kayak hammock camping, 3-4 days around a lake in Kentucky.It was backcountry camp anywhere kinda deal.

then we moved to ga that has ZERO offsite camping, and none at the waterside, and I’m not paying $50/ night to camp.

Now we are moving to the lake and getting a pontoon, but it’s going to be a family picnic thing, maybe site camping. Not the same

here’s hoping you find a buddy and get to explore until your heart is content

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you can't find a biking or ATV buddy! ;Sorry

It's great you are getting out and enjoying the ride! Hopefully we will have a long fall so you can keep riding. Or maybe you should ask for snow tires for the trike! :p
I am hoping for a long fall too. I am thinking I will keep riding this winter. My only worry is the salt damaging the trike. I think I can ride into the 20s. Teens is too cold for me!
it is amazing how much good comes from physical exertion, isn’t it? I have rarely been a faithful exerciser. But it has been so good for my mental health that I can no longer Even relate to how the old me used to think. It is truly Weird. And I think I would be broken without biking and exercising.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on my aquarium today. Finally cleaned the skimmer. Finally changed the invert QT water. Took a couple fish room pictures for ya’ll. XO

E0C9E816-6121-4CD2-BDAD-9B3E2CAD6807.jpeg

The hard plumbed water change drain. When I drain anything that might contaminate the DT system I place the extra piece of PCV to direct the water right into the

5C71D562-DA8A-4C48-952E-E9F4F3142FD7.jpeg

The fish room.
0D25371F-F3B0-496F-B433-A0FC7D97D839.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Back