Viparspetrum

AHicks1423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just got 2 viparspectra lights was wondering what I should run them at for torches and hammers. Currently running them at 1% white and 35% blues

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recently just got 2 viparspectra lights was wondering what I should run them at for torches and hammers. Currently running them at 1% white and 35% blues
12% white and 60% blue to start with

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high do you have them mounted above the tank? Typical recommendation for them is 12-14" to get an even spread, as the lens are pretty spot lighty.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What model are your lights? I will be looking for lights soon. The Viparspectra lights are quality lights especially for the price.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What model are your lights? I will be looking for lights soon. The Viparspectra lights are quality lights especially for the price.
If you’re looking for budget friendly lights, check out the Noopsyche V3, IMO, they’re much better than the Viparspectra, excellent spectrum and tons of power. They are a little more expensive (though I think they’re on sale right now, they frequently are), but well worth it. The Viparspectra are totally viable, but they leave a lot to be desired.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re looking for budget friendly lights, check out the Noopsyche V3, IMO, they’re much better than the Viparspectra, excellent spectrum and tons of power. They are a little more expensive (though I think they’re on sale right now, they frequently are), but well worth it. The Viparspectra are totally viable, but they leave a lot to be desired.
I will be looking into noopsyche lights. I am still thinking about going with halides as well. Viparspectra makes a quality light. I have a pair of grow lights by them which I'll likely use for my ATS. If noopsyche is better I might just have to go that route. I still love halides though. It's a tough decision. Thank you MaxTremors.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing wrong with vipars and they will grow any corals. Lights have even been tested under a spectrometer and were nearly the same spectrum as a Sky.

Change the lenses from 90 degree to 120 degree to start and you’ll see a big difference

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with vipars and they will grow any corals. Lights have even been tested under a spectrometer and were nearly the same spectrum as a Sky.

Change the lenses from 90 degree to 120 degree to start and you’ll see a big difference
How do you change the lenses degree?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 Inches off the water.
OK cool.

When I ran them, I set them to about where @vetteguy53081 mentioned and then slowly increased the white more and more until some zoas that were reaching on the sand bed stopped. I prefer a more white tank and it was just too blue for me.

I know this is not a great way to adjust a light and a par meter is recommended, but I did it this way and ended up at about 70% blue and 30% white. Tank was a standard 180 (72x24x24). Nems, acros, and everything else was fine with no issues. (I did watch them too, but the zoas were always the fastest to react to any changes, so they were the focus.

I then decided there was too much light visible when looking at the tank, so removed all of the lens and set the lights at about 6" from the tank. Color blending was nice and it allowed me to have the lights lower.

Again, I did not use a par meter, but did use a phone app that read lumens before and after to get about the same level at the waters surface once I started to move down.

It was mentioned above, and changing the lens will help a ton with eliminating the disco the lights have. You just take light apart, remove LED board from case and give a gentle twist and the lens come off. You can order large packs of 120 degree lens on amazon.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you change the lenses degree?

Search YouTube and or possibly here but it is super easy, first you can order the lenses from Aliexpress and they will get here snail mail or I think Amazon has them but they are more pricey.

6 screws to open case, disconnect a connector or 2 and then 4 screws to remove license plate where the lenses will be attached to. You need to confirm but I think there are 56 or 58 led diodes. I just order either 6 10 pack or a 100 pack

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As mentioned by Eagle Steve, we have 3 over a 180 too. A good rule of thumb with these are 1 every 24x24, we like 90% ch1 and 20% on ch2

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 ocean revives on my 210g which have the exact same electronics as vipar. I run 8% B. and 1% W over my hammers and have incredible growth. They hated 60% . These are very strong lights, I had no growth at all for years at 60 and 80% only turning them way down did i start seeing growth

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search YouTube and or possibly here but it is super easy, first you can order the lenses from Aliexpress and they will get here snail mail or I think Amazon has them but they are more pricey.

6 screws to open case, disconnect a connector or 2 and then 4 screws to remove license plate where the lenses will be attached to. You need to confirm but I think there are 56 or 58 led diodes. I just order either 6 10 pack or a 100 pack
I have been following as I have these lights but got me thinking should I change lense. I am not getting rainbow effect but probably a good ides to change Maybe I just not confident but having a hard time finding the exact lenses more choices on Aliexpress but some look a little different and seeing no mention to replace specifically Vipraspectra lense. Anyhow is their maybe a specific one you can point me to or how should i search? sorry for my ineptness. lol

z0mbeh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to borrowing or renting a par meter it would be helpful. It’s best to start low and slowly ramp up, I found them to be quite powerful at settings people recommend.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been following as I have these lights but got me thinking should I change lense. I am not getting rainbow effect but probably a good ides to change Maybe I just not confident but having a hard time finding the exact lenses more choices on Aliexpress but some look a little different and seeing no mention to replace specifically Vipraspectra lense. Anyhow is their maybe a specific one you can point me to or how should i search? sorry for my ineptness. lol

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have access to borrowing or renting a par meter it would be helpful. It’s best to start low and slowly ramp up, I found them to be quite powerful at settings people recommend.

They are, using a par meter I found to set the blue where you want it and start at 1 on the whites. The par goes up quick raising the white

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put two Viparspectras over a 90g. The lights are mounted 10 '' above water level. Started the lights at 60% Blue and 20% white a couple weeks ago. I have hammer corals in two different locations, one in the middle and one on the bottom. Both appear to be reaching up for light. Will go to 70% Blue and 30% white in a couple days.

FWIW, I was running my old black boxes at 100% blue and 60% white. They were a few years old though.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back