Vitamin Additives

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, hope everyone had a great summer. I have been soaking my LRS Reef/Fish/Herb and Hikari Mysis Shrimp in Selcon each morning before feeding; usually 5 minutes or so before feeding. Midday I feed 1/2 a sheet of LRS Nori, and in the evening I feed Sera Fishtaming soaked clams and Hiakri Spirulina Brine Shrimp. The fish are fat and healthy, but wondering if there is a product better than/equal to Sera at a better value. I completely understand thee "if it's not broke, don't fix it" rationale, just trying to make the most informed decisions possible.

Thanks, Ed

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Selcon or vitachem are excellent

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading a thread on here last week when an old timer (Paul B?) was talking about the importance of gut bacteria.

That lead me to some articles about supplementing probiotics for better health in fish.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding my fish a variety of quality flake food twice a day for a year now since I stopped using frozen. Fish like flake better and they are fat, healthy and very active. I think there is enough vitamins in quality flake food that is already added by Ocean Nutrition, Hikari etc. and I think adding more is not needed.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading a thread on here last week when an old timer (Paul B?) was talking about the importance of gut bacteria.

That lead me to some articles about supplementing probiotics for better health in fish.
Thanks Chessmanmark, I can say the overall color and growth of my fish is top notch since supplementing. We took the kids to the local aquarium and they had a school of healthy yellow tangs that were light yellow/white and the kids remarked on the vibrance of ours in comparison. Pretty proud considering they're 7 and 10! LOL

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding my fish a variety of quality flake food twice a day for a year now since I stopped using frozen. Fish like flake better and they are fat, healthy and very active. I think there is enough vitamins in quality flake food that is already added by Ocean Nutrition, Hikari etc. and I think adding more is not needed.
Thanks anthonygf I have not used flakes in my marine tank yet, as they're getting quite picky; won't even eat krill. What is your current stocking of fish?

Mine is:

Yellow-bellied Hippo
Picasso Trigger
Cinnamon Clown
J. Emperor Angel
Yellow Tang

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks anthonygf I have not used flakes in my marine tank yet, as they're getting quite picky; won't even eat krill. What is your current stocking of fish?

Mine is:

Yellow-bellied Hippo
Picasso Trigger
Cinnamon Clown
J. Emperor Angel
Yellow Tang
I have a Yellow Tang going on 4 years now, 2 clowns 5 years, 2 three striped damsels 5 years, 1 Flame Hawk 2-3 years, 1 filefish 2 years, and 1 blue/green chromis, was 5 of them about a year ago. I can't get any more fish my striped damsels will kill them, but they are comical. I think the large one is female and smaller male, the large one will chase the other around the tank doing nose dives next to him/her. When the wander into Tang territory they are quickly chased out.
My 46 bowfront was about 4 years old when I upgraded to 75 October 2020. Second pic 6 months later and final another 6 months.

Attachments

• 2020 2.jpg
    2020 2.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 2021-3-18 16-35-14~2[1253].jpg
    2021-3-18 16-35-14~2[1253].jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2021-9-1 11-56-28[1645].jpg
    2021-9-1 11-56-28[1645].jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 26

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mine is:

Yellow-bellied Hippo
Picasso Trigger
Cinnamon Clown
J. Emperor Angel
Yellow Tang

Mine is:

Yellow-bellied Hippo
Picasso Trigger
Cinnamon Clown
J. Emperor Angel
Yellow Tang
Some foods I recommend are :
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow Tang going on 4 years now, 2 clowns 5 years, 2 three striped damsels 5 years, 1 Flame Hawk 2-3 years, 1 filefish 2 years, and 1 blue/green chromis, was 5 of them about a year ago. I can't get any more fish my striped damsels will kill them, but they are comical. I think the large one is female and smaller male, the large one will chase the other around the tank doing nose dives next to him/her. When the wander into Tang territory they are quickly chased out.
My 46 bowfront was about 4 years old when I upgraded to 75 October 2020. Second pic 6 months later and final another 6 months.
Very nice! I know the feeling, my yellow tang never bothered any other fish. Then I added the Emperor and a Long Nose Butterfly (not my ideal sequence of introduction, but had losses and needed to restock) and she tortured them, them Angel held her own but the LNB had to be moved to the sump and didn't make it, I hate that one of my fish killed another healthy fish, with a huge personality.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some foods I recommend are :
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine
Thanks vetteguy53081 my fish love all the Larry's frenzy products as well as the Hikari shrimp. The shrimp seem to give the less aggressive (frame of reference) fish some opportunity to eat, LOL. My freezer looks like an LFS with all the food! j

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks vetteguy53081 my fish love all the Larry's frenzy products as well as the Hikari shrimp. The shrimp seem to give the less aggressive (frame of reference) fish some opportunity to eat, LOL. My freezer looks like an LFS with all the food! j
Mine:
food1.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back