Vortech ate my clownfish

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is absolutely horrible and devastating. My Black ice male has been missing for days and I have gone through overflow
and cleaned out complete 6' sump. I will now cross my fingers, grit my teeth and go check each power head. Almost afraid to.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even coated. I use chato has a larger buffer. And won’t clog so far 2 years. But looks like it wanted hard current and swam in got under necked then pulled in. That’s y I have a nice cover all around it. If it’s pulling it’s power then I add a 2nd or up the pump but it an accident it has 2 strong suction.

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, Tha'ts just absolutely horrible! So So sorry.
My Black ice male went missing days ago and I have checked entire tank, overflow, and cleaned out 6' sump/fuge,
Now after reading this, I will now cross my fingers and grit my teeth while checking each and every power head, as they r all uncovered.

Last edited:

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for lose. Would be great if vortech came up with a 5 second startup soft spin or something so any fish in there when it is off gets out safe.

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Man, after checking all power heads, the fuge and algae scrubber lights were on and there he was, dead stuck to the mesh on the algae scrubber, in the sump.
Can't figure out how he got all the way there as overflow is covered and he was too big to go through the ridges in overflow.
Yet another tragic mystery., now I know how u feel. ;Sorry

I did NOT have the heart to photograph him and further traumatize you all any further though.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I didn’t learn the first time, lost two foxface tangs. They were sucked to the side. I think the were asleep and drifted.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear that. The same thing happened to me with a mp40 and one of my seahorses. It was devastating to think about after finding him like that. Sorry for your loss, I know it’s a crappy feeling...

Andreww65

Beer is proof that God loves us.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rock flower anemone torn apart and dispersed around my tank about 3 months ago. Still trying to combat the damage with water changes and carbon.

OP
OP
Ebone

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wasn't their fault... if anything should be impressed that it kept running with the extra load on it

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed my lawnmower blenny picking away at my pump. I never thought of screening the intakes. Looks like I got a job this evening.

Sorry for your loss. It looks like you did everything you could to prevent this. Sucks either way. Love sent to you

ALB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss....I loss an anemone in mine while on vacation :(

Danj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, that is terrible. I almost lost a clown in one of my first attempts at an overflow back in '07 - tore all the skin off of her jawbone - but a hospital tank and some meds and she's still going strong even today. Anyway, I had no idea the front guards on the VorTechs were so huge. I've been running Koralias for a decade now and never had any problems - and comparing the two side by side, I think I can see why. Deathtrap I tell ya! Bummer, because I was really starting to work up the courage to get one soon.

koralia.jpg
vortech.jpg

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

That is really a freak accident. First, even if the vortech was off/feed mode, before it will start spinning again, it will make a few jerks. So if there's a fish in there, it will scare the crap out of it and for sure will get out

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry.

This thread prompted me to check my vortechs before I turned them on tonight, after having them off for a awhile to spot feed corals. Sure enough, my blenny was in there apparently sound asleep. It took a jab from my finger to get his dumb butt to move. I usually check, but honestly, sometimes I forget. I don't think I'll forget anymore, after reading this.

Thank you for posting. You saved my butthead :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back