Vortech MP40 magnet strength

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the MP40QD pumps x2 for my Aquabox 230.6. According to the Vortech calculator 2x MP60QD would be over powered.

However I have been told by a friend that the MP40's magnets are not very strong and would struggle. The glass is 19mm thick.

Anyone have suggestions or comments either way?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're rated for 3/4" glass (19mm) so I dont see why it wouldn't work. Dont think I've ever read about an issue with them holding when installed properly. With that said, the MP60 can always be turned down and too much flow is rarely enough :)

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're rated for 3/4" glass (19mm) so I dont see why it wouldn't work. Dont think I've ever read about an issue with them holding when installed properly. With that said, the MP60 can always be turned down and too much flow is rarely enough :)
I was following the Vortech flow calculator on their site. It was giving too much flow for a mixed reef with 2x MP60. I will also be using 2x Maxspec Gyre 230, so overall in the tank the flow is pretty high even with 2x Mp40

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back