Problem with Powerheads & 3/4" Glass

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO i just ran into an issue that i wasn't expecting while setting up the new tank. The glass everywhere is 3/4" thick since its a 72X30X24 rimless, and I just went to go put on my old MP40's on to see where the placement will need to be to accommodate rockwok and the magnets aren't strong enough to hold the pump up, even though it says that it should work for 3/4". It just slides right down the glass. :(
Now my first thought was that these are the old non-QD versions so maybe the magnets got old on them and aren't as strong anymore, or maybe the newer MP40WQD will have a stronger magnet and hold better, but according to their site its a max of 3/4" just like the old version which has me worried. The other thing that worries me about using them even if it does hold is that they want you to put the metal of the pump directly to the glass for 3/4" thick instead of any plastic or rubber between which makes me worry about scratching the glass if it does slide.:confused:
So my question then would be if i want to use a vortech am I now relegated to only using an MP60 due to the thickness of the glass?
What other pumps are people using with 3/4" glass? ;Bookworm
Do Gyres work? what about Tunze?
We had talked about the idea of potentially getting a gyre to mix with the vortechs anyway, but the idea of having them as the only flow in the tank is weird to me. Ive used my vortechs for so long and love their controllability and random flow, and the QD pumps are sooo quiet (i was planning on upgrading to the QD from the old ones anyway just due to noise)
Tank will be a mix of SPS (not crazy acro heavy, but with a few choice specimens) and LPS

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally manufacturers specs are nowhere near what they claim. They don't push what they say, they don't last as long as they say, and yes sadly they don't hold on as thick of walls as they claim. With most brands to be sure they will stick well to 3/4 inch you need to get ones rated for 1 inch.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3/4” glass also and have had issues with MP40’s too. Some stay, some need a little help. I’ve had gyres and Tunze in the past, both needed magnet upgrades to work.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW I have a 750XXL which has 3/4 inch glass and I'm using MP40 QD models and about 90% of the time they hold just fine. Seems when they fall off it's an indicator that it's time for me to clean them up a bit.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3/4” glass also and have had issues with MP40’s too. Some stay, some need a little help. I’ve had gyres and Tunze in the past, both needed magnet upgrades to work.
Nothing about big tanks is easy huh? lol :rolleyes:
You could put a mag float meant for 1 inch below it so it can't slide down
i don't want to do anything like that because the tank is rimless and i'm trying to keep everything as clean as possible visibly.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I have a 750XXL which has 3/4 inch glass and I'm using MP40 QD models and about 90% of the time they hold just fine. Seems when they fall off it's an indicator that it's time for me to clean them up a bit.
I messaged Ecotech directly and ask them to see what they say

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any plastic or rubber on the dry side pump between the glass?

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have water in your tank? I just looked at your build thread and it looked empty. They definitely won't hold while empty but when filled with water they're much more buoyant.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference
image.jpg
image.jpg
here’s the spacer saying to not use it and how it’s then bare metal to glass

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have water in your tank? I just looked at your build thread and it looked empty. They definitely won't hold while empty but when filled with water they're much more buoyant.
No it’s not filled

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No it’s not filled

I'd fill it up a bit and test it with the powerhead in the water. When I was setting up my tank and I went to place the pumps just to see I was nervous too as the powerheads woudn't even hold a little bit while empty. But they hold when full.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd fill it up a bit and test it with the powerhead in the water. When I was setting up my tank and I went to place the pumps just to see I was nervous too as the powerheads woudn't even hold a little bit while empty. But they hold when full.
at this point in the build the next time it gets water is going to be the last time! LOL :cool:
So close to being done and ready to fill

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so just for the record, since i was considering one anyway, do the Gyres hold on 3/4"

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the QD MP40 on 3/4” acrylic with no problems. The dry side on the QD was completely redesigned. Don’t know if this improved hold or not since I never used the old dry side on my current tank. Also, as the wet side ages tolerances slip and they can wobble a bit. This will result in them falling off more easily.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is also another rubber spacer that goes in between the one with writing thats in your hand. I just forgot to use this and mine kept sliding down, and this would fix the metal against the glass

IMG_1417.JPG

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also another rubber spacer that goes in between the one with writing thats in your hand. I just forgot to use this and mine kept sliding down, and this would fix the metal against the glass

IMG_1417.JPG

That’s for the newer wet side design, NOT the older models.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back