Vortech MP40

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to hold the dryside in your hand, set the driver to constant (green) and use the dial to slowly ramp up and down, is there a speed that creates a lot of vibration in the motor?

If not, then one thing I'm considering is that the dryside motor isn't seated in the case properly, basically the magnet isn't rotating parallel to the glass when the dryside casing is seated firmly on the glass.

The motor is held in with 3 screws, (I DON'T recommend you remove the etm sticker to expose and look because it would void any warranty). But that's where I'm leaning

This is definitely a warranty issue that will require a complete replacement. Either that or they sent you another faulty wetside. Which, now that I think about, can be possible.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to hold the dryside in your hand, set the driver to constant (green) and use the dial to slowly ramp up and down, is there a speed that creates a lot of vibration in the motor?

If not, then one thing I'm considering is that the dryside motor isn't seated in the case properly, basically the magnet isn't rotating parallel to the glass when the dryside casing is seated firmly on the glass.

The motor is held in with 3 screws, (I DON'T recommend you remove the etm sticker to expose and look because it would void any warranty). But that's where I'm leaning

This is definitely a warranty issue that will require a complete replacement. Either that or they sent you another faulty wetside. Which, now that I think about, can be possible.
And they didnt even send me a complete wet side they only sent the base that has the ceramic piece, so I put on the cage and impeller from the first one. I asked for an entire new unit and they said they will send a whole new wet and this will fix it but I’m with you I think the dry is causing the ceramic piece to break somehow.

I will say the dry is silent when I run it on green and full blast.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And they didnt even send me a complete wet side they only sent the base that has the ceramic piece, so I put on the cage and impeller from the first one. I asked for an entire new unit and they said they will send a whole new wet and this will fix it but I’m with you I think the dry is causing the ceramic piece to break somehow.

I will say the dry is silent when I run it on green and full blast.
Ahh, so the problem can still be an unbalanced wetaide magnet...

I don't get that approach to send just the base...

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so how do you property align it, and how does not properly aligning it break the ceramic piece, I mean you put the wet up against the dry, turn unit on and spin slowly until noise stops, we’ll my noise never stops them when I take apart to see the ceramic piece Si broken off, so please tell me what I’m doing wrong.
No, complete opposite. You turn the constant mode all the way up and adjust the wet side

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, complete opposite. You turn the constant mode all the way up and adjust the wet side
When I said soon slowly I meant soon the wet side until the noise stops and according to echo tech to break in you run in green slow and everyday increase for 2 weeks to break in.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, so the problem can still be an unbalanced wetaide magnet...

I don't get that approach to send just the base...
Me neither and at this point who knows with the piece by piece trial and error could be the impeller on wet could be dry side who knows

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just say you want to swap out the entire pump, wet and dry, clearly something is wrong with it.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the retailer your lfs? Either way if you have a good standing with your lfs I would see of you can bring it all in when you get the new wet side and let them put it on one of their tanks and see if it has any issues assuming they have experience with the vortechs. I’m lucky because my lfs manager has been a good friend of mine since before he even started working there and will make house calls when I have an issue!!

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the retailer your lfs? Either way if you have a good standing with your lfs I would see of you can bring it all in when you get the new wet side and let them put it on one of their tanks and see if it has any issues assuming they have experience with the vortechs. I’m lucky because my lfs manager has been a good friend of mine since before he even started working there and will make house calls when I have an issue!!
Not a bad idea and yeah I have a good relationship with them but it was purchased from an online retailer.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company I purchased it from is talking with echo for me to try to get me a whole new until not just a wet side. I did get an email from echo asking me to rate the reps service and I did trust me on that.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new wet side finally and for the last week I have had it on reef crest and it seems to be working fine, until today when I put it on feed mode and the dry side starting bouncing on the glass?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back