Vortech MP40

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the brighter side, once you get them going, you will absolutely love them. Did you get one or multiple? Parent/child mode is awesome.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one it says it does 5000 gph I have a 90 so figured one is plenty I think it’s for 50-500 gallons so I’m on small side there .

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one it says it does 5000 gph I have a 90 so figured one is plenty I think it’s for 50-500 gallons so I’m on small side there .
Yeah, but after 24 inches or so it loses a lot of power. I try not to run mine above 60%

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many people know but, Vortechs really need to be broken in properly. First, I would disassemble it and make sure everything looks good, rinse it down and put a little o-ring grease on the back of the magnet where it touches the flat white ceramic disk. Reassemble it and make sure it snaps into place fully.

For your case use the thin spacer and install the powerhead and run it on normal (constant) at 5% for 24 hours. Every 24 hours go up another 5% and so on until you get to maybe 60% or whatever your aquarium can handle. At that point you can program it to do whatever. This typically takes about 2 weeks at most.

For reference:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards a cracked magnet. But there are a lot of unknowns that need to be answered.

Like have you tried to spin the propeller? Is there a lot of resistance? Does it spin freely?

I never understood the silicone grease thing, even from the factory they shouldn't have a lot on them, but after use and after cleaning, there's no reason for it except if you're storing it.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I let it sit for a while attached wet to dry. Turned it back on and it seems to be working, it isn’t falling off for now anyway. Hopefully it’s fixed. It is loud on higher speeds but I guess I can move the wet side to see where it’s less noisy? Now I have to learn how to set all the modes and which is best.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I let it sit for a while attached wet to dry. Turned it back on and it seems to be working, it isn’t falling off for now anyway. Hopefully it’s fixed. It is loud on higher speeds but I guess I can move the wet side to see where it’s less noisy? Now I have to learn how to set all the modes and which is best.
It shouldn't be loud. It's basically silent. Turn it to 100% on constant speed more mode and move the wet side gently. It will pop in place and become silent.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't be loud. It's basically silent. Turn it to 100% on constant speed more mode and move the wet side gently. It will pop in place and become silent.
I hope so, will mess with it later today, I believe I was on reef mode maybe where it ramps up and down and when it ramped up it got loud.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many people know but, Vortechs really need to be broken in properly. First, I would disassemble it and make sure everything looks good, rinse it down and put a little o-ring grease on the back of the magnet where it touches the flat white ceramic disk. Reassemble it and make sure it snaps into place fully.

For your case use the thin spacer and install the powerhead and run it on normal (constant) at 5% for 24 hours. Every 24 hours go up another 5% and so on until you get to maybe 60% or whatever your aquarium can handle. At that point you can program it to do whatever. This typically takes about 2 weeks at most.

For reference:

ok, I will give that a shot.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so, will mess with it later today, I believe I was on reef mode maybe where it ramps up and down and when it ramped up it got loud.
Both of mine are completely silent. It's about getting to fit perfectly. It's a tiny window where it just clicks in perfectly. Run it on constant mode bull blast and gently adjust the wetside. It will pop right in. You will know it when it happens. Turn the wetside counterclockwise.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of mine are completely silent. It's about getting to fit perfectly. It's a tiny window where it just clicks in perfectly. Run it on constant mode bull blast and gently adjust the wetside. It will pop right in. You will know it when it happens. Turn the wetside counterclockwise.
ok ill try that. Thanks.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I e tried that on green setting all the way up I can get it somewhat quiet but not totally howeve if while on green on turn it down it gets loud again. I’ve been turning clockwise have not felt anything like you said where it will fit in and I’ll know it moved it up down left right all over .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back