Vortech MP40

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I e tried that on green setting all the way up I can get it somewhat quiet but not totally howeve if while on green on turn it down it gets loud again. I’ve been turning clockwise have not felt anything like you said where it will fit in and I’ll know it moved it up down left right all over .
Clearly there's something wrong with the balance of the wetside or maybe dryside.

You'll have to take it apart to troubleshoot.

It isn't unheard of that some brand new components aren't balanced properly.

I'd like to see a picture of the wetside magnet.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly there's something wrong with the balance of the wetside or maybe dryside.

You'll have to take it apart to troubleshoot.

It isn't unheard of that some brand new components aren't balanced properly.

I'd like to see a picture of the wetside magnet.
Was on the phone with tech support he had me remove the wet to see if the dry was making noise and it was not coins t hear a thing.

Attachments

• IMG_3926.jpeg
    IMG_3926.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3925.jpeg
    IMG_3925.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3924.jpeg
    IMG_3924.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a crack in the ceramic shaft? Or just shadowing?

IMG_3925.jpeg

How long has it been running? There is a lot of wear at the base which suggest an unbalanced magnet.
Not sure if it’s a crack I can take it apart and look at it, it’s brand new I just got it yesterday and don’t even have it running. Through the night or during the day today so maybe an hour or so yesterday and 2 hours today.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without taking mine apart to confirm I think the metal shaft is supposed to stick out past the ceramic sleeve to go into the hole in the “cage” part. I may be completely wrong though, as I’m still fairly new to Vortech pumps.
Here is a picture I found online that looks like I believe mine do.
IMG_0149.jpeg

ETA- after looking closer is the ceramic sleeve broken at the bottom and slid up the metal shaft?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I e tried that on green setting all the way up I can get it somewhat quiet but not totally howeve if while on green on turn it down it gets loud again. I’ve been turning clockwise have not felt anything like you said where it will fit in and I’ll know it moved it up down left right all over .
One more step, as previously mentioned in this post, take the wet side apart, and put it back together. If that doesn't work together with the step I asked you about, call Ecotech. This is should not be this complicated, especially for that price.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more step, as previously mentioned in this post, take the wet side apart, and put it back together. If that doesn't work together with the step I asked you about, call Ecotech. This is should not be this complicated, especially for that price.
Already took it apart back together and did all that. Already called them there is a ticket started.

With all that being said how do I set up a schedule using the app. I created a custom one. Or at least I think I did, but then if I choose template and activate one then I thought tapping resume schedule would take me back to what I created in custom?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it’s a crack I can take it apart and look at it, it’s brand new I just got it yesterday and don’t even have it running. Through the night or during the day today so maybe an hour or so yesterday and 2 hours today.
New or not, I've taken a brand new one, accidentally allowed the magnet to slam onto my metal sink, and the plastic casing cracked.

I'm not saying this is the issue, merely suggesting age doesn't matter.

I'm still sticking to an unbalanced magnet, due to cracking or manufacturing. Either way its covered under warranty, but something you're going to want to figure out before sending it back to etm for a replacement.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took it apart again nothing is cracked the picture you showed of the ceramic with that black line that you thought was a crack was just I guess grease because it wiped right off. There is no crack in the white ceramic and there’s no crack anywhere on the unit itself.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already took it apart back together and did all that. Already called them there is a ticket started.

With all that being said how do I set up a schedule using the app. I created a custom one. Or at least I think I did, but then if I choose template and activate one then I thought tapping resume schedule would take me back to what I created in custom?
That I cannot help you with. I don't create templates. I just create a schedule and run it. If I want to make changes, I just make them and save them. I am assuming you are using Mobius?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without taking mine apart to confirm I think the metal shaft is supposed to stick out past the ceramic sleeve to go into the hole in the “cage” part. I may be completely wrong though, as I’m still fairly new to Vortech pumps.
Here is a picture I found online that looks like I believe mine do.
IMG_0149.jpeg

ETA- after looking closer is the ceramic sleeve broken at the bottom and slid up the metal shaft?
You nailed it! Looking at the picture, I thought this was a mp10. Going back to the 1st post it's a 40.

That ceramic shaft isn't seated anymore.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You nailed it! Looking at the picture, I thought this was a mp10. Going back to the 1st post it's a 40.

That ceramic shaft isn't seated anymore.
Yes it’s a 40 when I put it back together the metal was sticking through the ceramic part and is in the hole in the cover, does t stop the noise.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I cannot help you with. I don't create templates. I just create a schedule and run it. If I want to make changes, I just make them and save them. I am assuming you are using Mobius?
Yes but how do you create a schedule? And what is the resume schedule icon for if it does t take you back to the schedule.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s a 40 when I put it back together the metal was sticking through the ceramic part and is in the hole in the cover, does t stop the noise.
Again still new to them but I don’t believe it is supposed to move. It’s supposed to be attached at the bottom.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kp33

I just opened up brand new boxes to show you side by side the difference between a 10 and 40.

20231004_145916.jpg

Looking at your photos again it seems that the ceramic insert on the shaft isn't glued down properly, which suggest that there is an imbalance.

Now you can go back to etm and let them know what the cause is.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again still new to them but I don’t believe it is supposed to move. It’s supposed to be attached at the bottom.
Oh well if that’s the case mine moves for sure. When I took it apart I had to slide it back down for the metal to stick through

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well if that’s the case mine moves for sure. When I took it apart I had to slide it back down for the metal to stick through
Here's my theory, the wetside casing was dropped, resulting in a bent center shaft that cracked the ceramic sleeve thus making it vibrate.

I highly doubt you broke it because it would've needed to be apart for the ceramic to crack. I'd guess this happened on the assembly line and the person putting them together didn't see any visual signs and sent it down the line.

They will indeed replace it for you. And I am certain that nothing on the dryside was damaged as a result of coupling it to the bad wetside.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back