Vossen Trap Help

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I had my second clutch of Carmel Mocha Clownfish eggs hatch last night. First clutch was March 10th. On the first I tried to manually capture and got about 60, 4 of which have survived to this point. Thinking it was my collection technique causing a lot of the loss as most fry disappeared right away, I ordered a vossen trap for this clutch.

Lights went out at 11, and I covered the tank with the Vossen setup and air running but no light, and turned off my return pumps and Nero powerheads. When I came back an hour later, the hatch had mostly happened but a majority of the hatch I believe were preyed upon by my blue spotted puffer and maybe sally lightfoot and purple tang (they all seemed to be up and about). I only captured 4 fry.

So here are my questions:

1. should I have had the light running for the vossen prior to and during the hatch?
I been told it could prevent the hatch, but I’ve read that you can set up the vossen and come back in the morning.

2. anyone have a clue as to how much air? A small trickle, steady trickle, full stream? It looked to me that the fry were swimming away from the entrance to the trap. Not sure if needed more suction or if less air would not have scared them away?

any other tips appreciated.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had my second clutch of Carmel Mocha Clownfish eggs hatch last night. First clutch was March 10th. On the first I tried to manually capture and got about 60, 4 of which have survived to this point. Thinking it was my collection technique causing a lot of the loss as most fry disappeared right away, I ordered a vossen trap for this clutch.

Lights went out at 11, and I covered the tank with the Vossen setup and air running but no light, and turned off my return pumps and Nero powerheads. When I came back an hour later, the hatch had mostly happened but a majority of the hatch I believe were preyed upon by my blue spotted puffer and maybe sally lightfoot and purple tang (they all seemed to be up and about). I only captured 4 fry.

So here are my questions:

1. should I have had the light running for the vossen prior to and during the hatch?
I been told it could prevent the hatch, but I’ve read that you can set up the vossen and come back in the morning.
The larvae are attracted to the light at the opening of the trap. Yes light on prior and during hatch, it should only be a small led.
2. anyone have a clue as to how much air? A small trickle, steady trickle, full stream? It looked to me that the fry were swimming away from the entrance to the trap. Not sure if needed more suction or if less air would not have scared them away?

any other tips appreciated.
Needs more airflow if they are darting away. It needs to be enough air to pull the larvae into the trap and gently swirl around inside the trap, but not so much that the larvae sticks against screen in the trap. Clownfish larvae do fine with more air flow, but some larvae are more sensitive like shrimp larvae that needs less flow.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back