Vote for my nano skimmer! (Tideline 11.3g)

Which skimmer should I buy for my Tideline 11.3g

• K1 NEO Protein Skimmer - Ice Cap

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Reef Glass Nano Protein Skimmer

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Bullet-1 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • MiniQ Nano Internal Protein Skimmer

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Bullet-2 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • NANO 50 HOB PROTEIN SKIMMER

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been scurrying the internet looking for options and information on skimmers. I've never purchased one before so any advice is welcome!

What's your favorite brand or if you have experience with these and like it vote for it! If you hate one of these let me know!

The tideline 11.3 only has 2 inches of depth in the back so I am very limited on options but each of these should fit.
The last 2 are probably rated for larger aquariums so I think I should stick with one of the first 4 because they are rated appropriately for a 10g aquarium.

Thanks for your input!

Store links:
K1 NEO- https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/k1-neo-protein-skimmer-5-15-gallons-icecap/
REEF GLASS NANO - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-glass-nano-protein-skimmer.html
BULLET-1 - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquamaxx-bullet-1-hang-on-back-protein-skimmer.html
MINIQ - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/miniq-nano-internal-protein-skimmer-bubble-magus.html
BULLET-2 - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bullet-2-hang-on-back-protein-skimmer-aquamaxx.html
ICE CAP NANO 50 - https://topshelfaquatics.com/product/nano-50-hob-protein-skimmer-icecap/#

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I like the reef glass or the Bullet-1.

Edit; nvm bullet 1 is not in stock anywhere.
Edit: brs expects them back in stock very soon actually.

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The annoying thing about the reef glass is that you need to replace the wooden air stone around every month give or take, otherwise they work ok. For a 11 gallon tank, I wouldnt even run a protein skimmer tbh as they are finicky on small tanks and generally not worth the hassle.
Given the choice out of the ones listed I would choose the k1 neo, based on the fact that it is in tank so water level can be adjusted by water level, and the fact that it looks like a actual protein skimmer (body shape). Also this being a in tank skimmer means that if it overflows it doesnt go straight onto your floor leaving you with a big mess to clean up

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The annoying thing about the reef glass is that you need to replace the wooden air stone around every month give or take, otherwise they work ok. For a 11 gallon tank, I wouldnt even run a protein skimmer tbh as they are finicky on small tanks and generally not worth the hassle.
Given the choice out of the ones listed I would choose the k1 neo, based on the fact that it is in tank so water level can be adjusted by water level, and the fact that it looks like a actual protein skimmer (body shape). Also this being a in tank skimmer means that if it overflows it doesnt go straight onto your floor leaving you with a big mess to clean up
I wish I could setup a bigger aquarium but I'm stuck with this for now. I keep overfeeding but I've been testing like mad lately and hopefully will have ahold of it soon. Everyone up to now has told me about it not being needed on a nano but I am really focused on this little aquarium so I think the effort might be worth it at this point.

Everyone does seems to recommend icecaps. I was leaning towards a HoB that is outside because it sounded like it could avoid the stable water level problem. I guess your experience is they still have finnicky issues?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hob is more finicky than in tank/sump but it would also matter if you have an ato to top off the tank and keep the water level stable.
If you are on top of the tank you can just do an extra water change and it would probably have more of an effect on nutrients
Why are you overfeeding though?

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if someone else in the house is feeding sometimes or if I am just that bad at judging amounts. I have been feeding a big variety and I think now that is stopping me from learning the proper proportions. I just started testing 2-3 times a week and I am seeing it more clearly.
I do have an ATO but it being an 11g AIO I figured that it still wouldn't be nearly as stable as a 30 gallon sump.

I thought that I shouldn't change out too much water per week or that would mean I have unstable parameters.

Last edited:

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If equipment brings you joy, go for it. But there is a point to everyone saying skimmers in small tanks aren’t worth it. With the over feeding issues, are you trying to bring nutrients down? If so, is it because of safety (eg nitrates are like 80) or to put one in balance (phosphate is 0.2ppm but nitrate is 1ppm). Or is there a specific algae issue? Particles/organics looking high? Each of these can have a specific, easier/cheaper solution than getting a skimmer balanced on a 10 gal tank. And we might be able to help you with that. But, certainly if you like the equipment, I absolutely understand. I diy things that don’t need it just because that’s what I like about the hobby, each of us has a different way of approaching issues.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried just about every nano skimmer out there it seems. I just ordered the bubble magus mini q, and it looks promising. The reef glass skimmer has air stones and they clog and are more work, imo. Still nice though. Ice cap is a nice one too.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If equipment brings you joy, go for it. But there is a point to everyone saying skimmers in small tanks aren’t worth it. With the over feeding issues, are you trying to bring nutrients down? If so, is it because of safety (eg nitrates are like 80) or to put one in balance (phosphate is 0.2ppm but nitrate is 1ppm). Or is there a specific algae issue? Particles/organics looking high? Each of these can have a specific, easier/cheaper solution than getting a skimmer balanced on a 10 gal tank. And we might be able to help you with that. But, certainly if you like the equipment, I absolutely understand. I diy things that don’t need it just because that’s what I like about the hobby, each of us has a different way of approaching issues.
My nitrates are constantly reaching 13+ by the end of each week. so I end up doing 2, 40% water changes to set it back near 5 and try to balance it under 10. I have no phosphates detectable and I think that is because of my constantly exploding nitrates. There isn't any obvious growth in the tank yet but it is only about 2 months old and I am running my light rather dim.
I do seem to like equipment lol but really I just want this aquarium stable and ready for an anemone.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that I shouldn't change out too much water per week or that would mean I have unstable parameters.
You can do rather large water changes in small aquariums and it isnt really an issue, but it is better to space out water changes and do smaller ones during the week rather than 1 or 2 large ones.

The nitrates seem to be increasing a good amount over the week but I would probably target something like 15ppm nitrate and see if it is fluctuating much when doing small 10-20% water twice a week and spaced out between them. Which test kits are you using to measure nitrates and phosphates (please not api, those are trash)

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Mini Q last week in my IM Fusion 20g.
So far so good.

Very quiet. Pulling skim right away (although I don’t have a huge need for it yet as it is a new build). Easy to adjust and so far, stays adjusted. Does not break the bank.

See here in my thread if you like ….

Skimmer

I decided to get the new skimmer going.
I purchased the MiniQ Nano Skimmer from Bubble Magus.

IMG_0111.JPG

It fits very well in the either the left or right secondary chamber of the back. Actually, extra room left over.
Easy to install and easy to set up.

It has a built in drain in the collection cup (red button in the pic on the far side of the collection cup).
Nice little touch for such a small skimmer....can drain to a larger waster canister below somewhere and not have to worry (much) about an overflow event.

IMG_0113 2.JPG

Very quiet so far.
Still breaking in, of course.
I have some micro bubbles in the DT but it is just getting warmed up. I am sure it will calm down over the next couple days.
I am happy with this so far.

Here is a short clip of it operating.

getting there.....

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these unstable parameters are more likely because of the small tank but what are the inhabitants right now? Small fish only need to be fed 1-2 times per days and a very small amount of food. Which foods are you feeding as well

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which test kits are you using to measure nitrates and phosphates (please not api, those are trash)
Don't worry I have a ton of test kits lol.
Nitrate is red sea nitrate pro or Nyos Nitrate
Phosphate is the Hanna Phosphorus checker or the Red Sea Phosphate pro.

I really want a lower nutrient system but people do like to say don't chase numbers too much i guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these unstable parameters are more likely because of the small tank but what are the inhabitants right now? Small fish only need to be fed 1-2 times per days and a very small amount of food. Which foods are you feeding as well
Total inhabitants are:
2 clown fish
1 Scarlet cleaner shrimp
4 little hermits
2 smaller astrea snails

I think I just enjoy feeding the clowns too much :(

I am feeding:
Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes
Nyos Wild Goji
frozen brine +vita chem
frozen Mysis + vita chem

I feed once a day and tend to skip a day or 2 each week. My proportions must just be way off.

Edit: clownfish are both around 2 inches big

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should add no skimmer to your options above. If you really want to use one more power to you but on smaller tanks in my experience they are more of a pain than a value.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should add no skimmer to your options above.
I've heard that an awful lot but these nitrates are frustrating. Maybe I will take the advice to get the cheapest one being recommended. Miniq is only $65 If i hate it I'll just forget about it

Last edited:

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real experiences with these, but in general I have had pretty bad experiences with nano skimmers. I would definitely steer away from the reef glass unless you are super ocd about cleaning your gear.

With your tank size and your aio space, I would just go skimmerless if you are unwilling to take up display tank space. Instead of a skimmer, maybe try an external algae reactor?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 6-12 pellets per clownfish is a good range for their size. For the mysis and brine shrimp, if it is cubed it should be around 1/8 of the cube. I use one cube of mysis a day to feed 7 fish about the size of your clownfish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back