Wait a minute, thats not a coral!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the mechanism behind vitamin C synthesis, but sometimes a novel gene can be transferred from one population to another by way of a virus. Interesting to think that such a gene could be lost for 1000 years, only to be reintroduced into a totally different population by way of a virus and some transposons.
Misremembered on fish apparently lol. But seems has to do with a single gene mutation . And the ability to do so at least theorized in this paper is neutral to survival. Dont tell the makers of airborne, or emergen-c lol.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny,
My father is an ex-reefkeeper, he passed his addiction on to me.
I keep trying to get him to consider another tank, but he keeps telling me that his cactus collection reminds him of coral, but much less demanding.

He puts his collection in the garage every winter and spoils them with light from an old reef halide fixture ;Hilarious
Screenshot_20200224-183358_Gallery.jpg

I had to get rid of my euphorbia and pencil cactuses because of their toxicity when I got my Bengal, miss them both were nearly 10ft tall.
I see a couple of nice Urchins in there! I can guarantee that when you go out in the morning you dont see them carrying your other cactus around on their back.
Cheers! Mark

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey how you guys doing after nem disaster
Nitrate and phosphate ended up severely out of balance and I got Cyano. But I’ve been slowly bringing down the PO4 cuz it went stupid high and slowly bringing up NO3 which zero’d out. And I’ve been dosing MicrōBacter7 at night after scrubbing the rocks and removing the Cyano off the sand. Changing filter socks and hr after removing it. The improvement in the tank aesthetic is getting better everyday and once the two acros that browned out color back up I’ll be happy. Shooting for 5ppm nitrate and .05 phos

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walking past a planter box today and out of the corner of my eye I glimpsed a flower. Problem is that my brain thought "Nice Jaw Breaker Mushroom!" Surely I am not the only one going insane?
thumbnail.jpeg
i'm literally dying right now omg that is hilarious. i'm not quit that far but i do constantly talk about coral and my mother even got me shirts about coral that i love. one says "WARNING! may spontaneously talk about corals!" and the other says "sorry, i can't i have to tend to my coral"

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny,
My father is an ex-reefkeeper, he passed his addiction on to me.
I keep trying to get him to consider another tank, but he keeps telling me that his cactus collection reminds him of coral, but much less demanding.

He puts his collection in the garage every winter and spoils them with light from an old reef halide fixture ;Hilarious
Screenshot_20200224-183358_Gallery.jpg

I had to get rid of my euphorbia and pencil cactuses because of their toxicity when I got my Bengal, miss them both were nearly 10ft tall.

Screenshot_20200224-184130_Gallery.jpg 20200224_184218.jpg

Very cool!

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[in my best david attenborough voice]

"... when threatened, the saharan green chromis leaps from the sandy dunes and seeks the protective shelter of the spiny acropora cactus."

1582577721861.png

(hehe, sorry ... a wee bit bored at lunchtime)
Crappie fishing in Jurassic Park

Back