Waiting list for Trident

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Would you sign up for a Trident waiting list?

• Yes

Votes: 76 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.7%

• Total voters

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't we have just a waiting list for Trident? Tesla does it and so bunch of other companies.
This availability at the specific date/time for a few minutes is a total nonsense. I like BRS because of the convenience; and other points; but this Trident purchase process is anything but. You know people have life outside of this hobby.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't we have just a waiting list for Trident? Tesla does it and so bunch of other companies.
This availability at the specific date/time for a few minutes is a total nonsense. I like BRS because of the convenience; and other points; but this Trident purchase process is anything but. You know people have life outside of this hobby.

BRS is just one retailer out of hundreds, why harp on them?

Maybe you should reach out to Trident about this and not a retailer...

OP
OP
ibondy

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reason is because I purchase pretty much all thinks related to my hobby from them. :) I feel that getting email from BRS that item is in the stock, and than going there to find out it is sold out is not a best way to handle this.
BTW, I love BRS and just asking the question as I will not buy from any other retailer. I guess, I will have to wait for general availability to improve and was wondering what others thought about this topic. Cheers.

U

User1

View Badges
I think we should all have to submit applications to Neptune to purchase. That way they can review, accept, deny, and send out letters to everyone with their position in line or letter of denial.

Similar to what Ford dose with their vaunted GT40!

Of course I am kidding with the Neptune / Trident. My better half looked at me sternly when I submitted my app to Ford. She said to me just how in the hell do I expect to pay for that in the unlikely event that Ford accepted my app :)

U

User1

View Badges

I don't believe either of this is a platinum seller or whatever Neptune uses to give priority. I could be wrong but do not believe Fragtastic has received any today. I may be mixing them up with another smaller business though so accept my apology if I have them mixed up.

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS originally said it was Neptune not allowing pre-orders, not BRS

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We aren't able to accept pre-orders, but I totally get the frustration. I think it's fair to say that this has been the biggest aquarium product launch in recent years. As a part of that, we've learned a few things along the way. The email notification system is one thing that we've heard the most feedback on. It simply isn't ideal for a large release with hundreds to thousands of emails on the list. We may have to look at a different system, or simply turning the feature off for big releases like this in the future. In the meantime, we do hope to receive small, but very frequent shipments in the coming weeks and months. So far, it's been roughly 1 shipment every week or so. Hopefully as more and more reefers get their hands on one, they'll be easier to come by.

U

User1

View Badges
We aren't able to accept pre-orders, but I totally get the frustration. I think it's fair to say that this has been the biggest aquarium product launch in recent years. As a part of that, we've learned a few things along the way. The email notification system is one thing that we've heard the most feedback on. It simply isn't ideal for a large release with hundreds to thousands of emails on the list. We may have to look at a different system, or simply turning the feature off for big releases like this in the future. In the meantime, we do hope to receive small, but very frequent shipments in the coming weeks and months. So far, it's been roughly 1 shipment every week or so. Hopefully as more and more reefers get their hands on one, they'll be easier to come by.

Care to give an idea of what time you update products on the portal? Maybe a rough estimate, or between, or on 2nd day of every other Sunday after a full moon???

:D

OP
OP
ibondy

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I am not even trying anymore. I have a life outside of this hobby.
However, very unhappy with Neptune, as some Ebay sellers have a number of Trident to sell. Where are they getting them???

Jon M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I am not even trying anymore. I have a life outside of this hobby.
However, very unhappy with Neptune, as some Ebay sellers have a number of Trident to sell. Where are they getting them???

They are lucky people who got one from online retailers or their LFS and are now making money hand over fist.

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say, I've seen multiple people with multiple Tridents. Definitely fishy

There's a reason for this and I have posted this elsewhere in other Trident threads.

The "in stock" notification system from all your retailers sucks. Emails go out sequentially. The speed at which is entirely dependent upon a number of factors, but mainly determined by where you are in the list of emails to go out as well as how many concurrent processes the "server" hosting the "emailer" can handle. And then also the receiving side of things has an email system as well. Google mail is going to be infinitely faster at receiving, parsing, and delivering the in stock email to your inbox than say, joeblowisp.com with his dual core box running Squirrel webmail.

BRS said they have 13,000 people waiting for in stock notifications. Lets say, if we're lucky, they have a 16 core server with a properly tuned email setup (guarantee you they dont). Roughly speaking, 16 emails can go out at once. Depending upon speed, latency, bandwidth, etc they can only do _so many_ emails per second, per thread (16 threads). Lets say they can do 64 emails per second. That's still 203 seconds start to finish emailing everyone. This means that the very first person to receive the in stock notification is 3.38 minutes ahead of the last person.

Now, given that BRS has an email spread of I would estimate 10-15 minutes. Their email system is _much slower_ than this. I watched the last in stock event and they sold roughly 1 trident every 3 seconds or there abouts. Do the math.

And then you have people in this hobby who are also programmers. They can do things like write python programs which scrape every single stock page of those selling Tridents and beat the email system. They don't even need it. They get alerts within a fraction of a second when the Trident goes on sale via email and text. So even if BRS was able to alert everyone within 20 seconds, you're still at a disadvantage.

Its capitalism. Love it or hate it. When demand vastly outstrips supply, prices go up. Those willing to pay don't have to wait. Those willing to wait don't have to pay.

U

User1

View Badges
There's a reason for this and I have posted this elsewhere in other Trident threads.

The "in stock" notification system from all your retailers sucks. Emails go out sequentially. The speed at which is entirely dependent upon a number of factors, but mainly determined by where you are in the list of emails to go out as well as how many concurrent processes the "server" hosting the "emailer" can handle. And then also the receiving side of things has an email system as well. Google mail is going to be infinitely faster at receiving, parsing, and delivering the in stock email to your inbox than say, joeblowisp.com with his dual core box running Squirrel webmail.

BRS said they have 13,000 people waiting for in stock notifications. Lets say, if we're lucky, they have a 16 core server with a properly tuned email setup (guarantee you they dont). Roughly speaking, 16 emails can go out at once. Depending upon speed, latency, bandwidth, etc they can only do _so many_ emails per second, per thread (16 threads). Lets say they can do 64 emails per second. That's still 203 seconds start to finish emailing everyone. This means that the very first person to receive the in stock notification is 3.38 minutes ahead of the last person.

Now, given that BRS has an email spread of I would estimate 10-15 minutes. Their email system is _much slower_ than this. I watched the last in stock event and they sold roughly 1 trident every 3 seconds or there abouts. Do the math.

And then you have people in this hobby who are also programmers. They can do things like write python programs which scrape every single stock page of those selling Tridents and beat the email system. They don't even need it. They get alerts within a fraction of a second when the Trident goes on sale via email and text. So even if BRS was able to alert everyone within 20 seconds, you're still at a disadvantage.

Its capitalism. Love it or hate it. When demand vastly outstrips supply, prices go up. Those willing to pay don't have to wait. Those willing to wait don't have to pay.

You are thinking too much on this. There is more than just BRS. Yes, their applications email notification is in question but that is only stage one. You now have to factor in the internet routes, pipes, telephony, ISP, and then last mile to the client. BRS can send them out all at once and everyone still wouldn't get the notifications at the same time. It isn't going to happen so let us just remove that from the equation.

Automation, manual refresh, phone calls, random checks, and a slew of other things are all that we can do - we have to choose what works for us or wait. The way I see it while I would like to have one I'm not testing daily let alone weekly so not having it isn't doing a dang thing for me nor is it going to make any difference.

Just think of it like a mini game of life similar to where in the world is Carmen Sandiego...

Edit: And I thought I read somewhere that those buying from ebay are not supported but maybe I read that wrong.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back