WannaBSpaghetti's Reefer 250 Planning and Build

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef - I'm a novice hobbyist who is wading back into the shallows of reef keeping and was told by the fine people of Reddit that this was a far superior place to pose questions and receive serious feedback. The impression I got was that this forum was populated by the (on average) brightest and most helpful hobbyists available, and that starting here would give me a serious leg up in keeping a reef tank healthy and happy for the months and years ahead.

So I'll dive right into it - I am planning out a completely fresh reef system and would like the communities feedback on the equipment, tank included, that I've chosen. I understand and accept that reef-keeping is an expensive pastime, but I will be including the BRS listed price with each piece of equipment for both my own record keeping and budgeting needs as well as for reference if anyone knows of a similar piece of equipment with comparable output and quality that they think would be a wiser choice monetarily. I have no problem paying for quality - but know that I sometimes have a tendency to fall for marketing smoke and mirrors.

I will be laying out each piece of equipment/expense in the order in which I anticipate purchasing them and bundled in "Phases".

Phase 0: Prep
Hire an electrician to install a dedicated outlet for tank. est.$150.00 (Actual = $419.00. Worth it though.)
Kill A Watts PS-10 Power Strip. $69.99

Phase 1: Water
BRS 6-Stage RO/DI Filter. $289.99
2x 32 Gallon Global Industrial Trash Cans w/ Lids. $90.98
2x BRS RO Float Valves. $28.98
Python Water Change System 50ft. $59.99

Phase 2: Tank
Red Sea Reefer Series 250. $1,349.00
Syncra Silent Return Pump. $174.99
Octo Aquatics OctoLid w/ access door. $205.00

Phase 3: Rock, Sale, and Sand
BRS 50lb Reef Saver Dry-Rock. $134.00
Jarassic Super Glue. $44.99
MarineMix 170g Salt Mix. $76.99
Argonite Special Grade Live Sand. $40.99
2x NeoTherm 100w Heater. $138.98

Phase 4: Wave Maker
Maxspect Gyre 230 x2 + Controller. $430.00

Phase 5: Cycle and Test
Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit. $31.99
HANA Alkalinity Tester. $49.99
Red Sea Calcium Testing Kit. $34.99

Phase 6: Let There Be Light
Kessil AP700. $799.99
Series A Mounting Arm x 2. $130.00

Phase 6: Auto Topoff (upgrade)
Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155. $199.99
Reservoir. (Something that will fit next to the sump in cabinet ~ 7.5 gal maybe) est. $30.00

Phase 7: Protein Skimmer
Vortex Omega 130. $319.99

Phase 8: Carbon & GFO Reactor
BRS GFO Carbon 5 Double. $85.49
BRS Rox 0.8 Carbon. $29.99
BRS GFO 1/4 gal. $17.49

So thats the setup, as planned. Definitely some areas that I'm probably going overboard and others where I'm probably forgetting something major - but there it is. I would love to know your thoughts and look forward to sharing the setup and maturing process as this project literally comes to life.

~Hopefully Spaghetti

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
tenor (3).gif
#WelcometoR2R Make sure to post lots of pictures, we love pictures ;)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Sounds like great planning.

If you would like, I can move this over to the members tank forum and you can use it for your build thread as your title suggests. Let me know if you would prefer that and we'll make it happen.

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Sounds like great planning.

If you would like, I can move this over to the members tank forum and you can use it for your build thread as your title suggests. Let me know if you would prefer that and we'll make it happen.
Absolutely! I wasn't sure because this member doesn't quite have a tank yet - just dreams and plans.
Thank you all for the warm welcomes as well :)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! I wasn't sure because this member doesn't quite have a tank yet - just dreams and plans.
Thank you all for the warm welcomes as well :)

Done. If you'd like a different title name just send me a PM. Good luck with the build.

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Phase 0: Planning
+Power Strip BRS Price = $69.99
Phase 3: Rock, Salt, and Sand
+ 2x NeoTherm 100w Heaters 2x$69.49ea. (is this sufficient for ~60g heating?)
Phase 8: Carbon & GFO reactor
+Upgrade BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor $85.49
+BRS GFO 1/4g $17.49

Considering putting together a custom lid to prevent cat jumping in and fish jumping out. Anybody have stories about either and/or solutions they've used?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Glad to have you!

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

I've spoken with an electrician who has offered to come out and install a dedicated outlet for the tank. I have also ordered the main splitter to be used in the build.
Excited!

Hire an electrician to install a dedicated outlet for tank. est.$150.00

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Considering the addition of an APEX controller as a late-phase project. Should work with all included hardware, but boosts cost of project substantially - though for great benefits.
DM me or Post any personal suggestions regarding the APEX, whether they be pro or con.

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big update this week! First one is that Phase 0 is complete! However, it seems that running a dedicated circuit, adding a breaker, and installing a GCUI outlet was a bit pricier than I had anticipated :( Actual price ended up being $420.00! Ouch! Oh well - at least nothing is curing or cycling so the setback wont affect anything but my patience.

Hire an electrician to install a dedicated outlet for tank. est.$150.00

^ COMPLETE!

Next we have Phase 1: Water.
This can almost be marked as complete as well!
Phase 1: Water
BRS 6-Stage RO/DI Filter. $289.99
2x 32 Gallon Global Industrial Trash Cans w/ Lids. $90.98
2x BRS RO Float Valves. $28.98
Python Water Change System 50ft. $59.99

The cost here was actually lowered quite a bit by grabbing a pair of those BRUTE trash cans from my local hardware store w/ free lids (due to oversight). The cans were put into place and each had a float valve installed ready for RODI.

All the rest of my equipment has come in the mail - but I did hit a snag. My basement walls are made of stone! I am currently planning out building a nice size "bench" out of some heat-treated pallets on which to mount my RODI units and will upload pictures when all is built, drilled, fastened, and connected!

Ultimately - very excited. Phase 0 and Phase 1 are all but checked off and I'll be uploading pictures for Build Thread Prosperity later on.

Cheers!

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another setback! You know that one and only utility faucet I was talking about? Yea, turns out that was the release valve for the boiler/radiator line. Luckily I tested it before I hooked anything up to it.

Relocating the whole water setup over next to the Washing Machine, which I should have thought of sooner. Purchasing a Y hose splitter so the RODI and Washer share the same cold water supply.

Pics soon!

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the red water line splitter and got everything hooked up and beautiful. Ran it for an hour to test for leaks and other shenanigans.
Psi reading at 80 and tts 7 in 0 out.
20180712_152028_HDR.jpg
20180712_152051.jpg

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
Phase 2: Tank is getting a bit of a re-work. Previously I had settled on the Red Sea Reefer 250 Deluxe and, while I am still going with the Reefer series 250, I am opting to "downgrade" to the standard model. What this means is that I take ~$800 off the price of the unit, making it easier to squeeze into my budget.
What I lose in this decision is the pair of Hydra LEDs and mounting brackets that come with the Deluxe version, and the cost of replacing those will have to be offset further down the line. I will also be adding a Return Pump to the phase, as I just realized the setup doesn't come with one.

Which means its time for a NEW PHASE! I will be inserting Phase 6: Let There Be Light after the Cycling and Testing equipment is purchased, but before the skimmer is added. This lends to a no-light, no-skimmer cycle which (and correct me if I'm wrong) is just fine.

To replace the pair of Hydras, I will instead be purchasing a single Kessil AP700 unit and a pair of A-series mounting arms, which should be perfectly fine to light the 3' wide tank with PLENTY of power to spare if I choose to upgrade with diffusers later on.

So the new build order is:
Phase 0: Prep (complete)
Phase 1: Water (complete)
Phase 2: Tank
Phase 3: Salt, Rock, Sand
Phase 4: Wave Maker - Circulation
Phase 5: Cycle and Test
Phase 6: Let There Be Light
Phase 7: Auto Top-Off Upgrade
Phase 8: Skimmer
Phase 9: Carbon & GFO Reactor

This is also the purchase order. Let me know if you guys, in your experience, foresee any issues with the way this is set up so far. The Phases imply a 2-week space between purchase, so let me know if you think anything should be re-arranged, prioritized, or held off on (like running GFO 2 months into a cycle, which I'm probably going to nix).

Thanks guys,
A few months from Spaghetti

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Update: Decided to switch the planned MP10wQDs with MP40s. This comes with a pretty substantially increased price tag that I'm not too pleased with, but from everything I've read it seems that 2xMP10s were not going to be enough and Gyres, while priced MUCH better, have a severe noise problem that invalidates the generally quite running setup I've opted for.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily count out gyres just yet on noise alone. The noise is really, really subjective. One reefer will state that while it was louder than an MP40 it was still very quiet and they had to put their ear to the tank to even hear it, while the next reefer will compare it to a chainsaw. So what I guess I'm saying is YES, they are louder than an MP40, but NO they are not "loud" and it really depends on how sensitive you are to any noise from the tank and where the tank is.

Back