Warning about ICP procedures that can cause false readings: freezing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what tube filling procedures are advised by all ICP companies, but a recent test by Christoph at Oceamo points out a potentially serious concern.

Freezing of seawater causes the formation of fresh water ice and hypersaline seawater. As the ice spreads to more and more of the total water, the saline liquid remaining can be very much concentrated relative to the original sample.

If all of the collected sample remains within the tube, there will be no change the in the element concentrations when the sample is thawed (at least not by the mechanism described below).

But if the tube is filled to near or at the top, having little air volume to compress, the pressure can rise quite substantially during freezing, and this rise can push out some of the hypersaline liquid. Since that liquid no longer remains in the tube when the sample is thawed, those ions are lost from the measurement, and the net concentration of the remaining fluid after thawing is reduced. Christoph showed that a tube filled to the top and frozen to -4 deg F showed a drop in calcium from about 420 ppm to about 300 ppm, magnesium from about 1250 ppm to 900 ppm, etc. he also showed very high ion concentrations in the exuded fluid

These effects are far too large to ignore.

Thus, if there is any chance your samples may freeze, be sure to NOT fill them all the way up. If your ICP company advises filling to the top, I'd suggest contacting them to see if it is OK to only half fill the tubes.

Here is Christoph's data:

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

thanks for posting this in prominent position!

@all: Please do not fill the vials only halfway full - the labs will run into issues because of limited water volume. Having a air cusion of ~10% is sufficient. So fill a 15 ml vial only to the 13-14 ml and a 30 ml vial only to the ~27 ml mark. This is sufficient to prevent any leaking, which will occur when the vials are filled completely.

@RHF: Is there a way dropping you a PM?

Thanks and best regards,
Christoph

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A hot pack lasts like 24-48 hours tops. Most of these tests take 7-10 days to get where they’re going. The hot pack won’t make the trip

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good point, I do communicate this in the RM Facebook Group during the Winter season for the Reef Moonshiner's Testkits (Oceamo ICP-OES/MS).

Time to implement this detail into the Sampling Instructions.
Great work from Christoph and the Oceamo Team, thanks for sharing Randy!

1706130818193.png

Suspect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sent in an ATI ICP-OES test a couple weeks ago when it was cold. Salinity, Kh, Ca, and Mg were all suspiciously low compared to my Trident and hand tests. ATI commented that the RODI sample leaked so much they were unable to perform the RODI test. The samples must have frozen. I've always filled the tubes completely because I remember reading somewhere that the sample can interact with air.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back