Warning: Use Vibrant at your own risk

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have had it work i dont think that is surprising. I mean if they said "its algaecide" and people use it and it works then fine. The issue is they have made many misleading statements and insinuating it was a magic bacteria in there solving all the issues.

Consumers are free to choose whether to pour algaecide in there tank....but they should know that is what they are doing

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, I used it as recommended for 7 weeks it worked, but it took out my Chaeto and the turf algae on my ATS, but I was warned that this might happen. It took months for the algae to start growing on the ATS again. But it worked.
Now I lost a couple of sticks along the way but I can't attribute it to Vibrant with any kind of certainty.

With that said, the hobbyist has the right to know exactly what we are buying and using in our reefs especially with the price tags they carry.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have wiped out two tanks of SPS using it (nutrients were stable the whole time)......learned my lesson finally.
This is what leads me to believe there is something else in it as well. I have used AlgaeFix for years in full blown SPS tanks and never had any RTN/STN at all.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I did use other items during my crash(Fluconazole and Chemiclean) and cannot say it was 100% Vibrant's fault, I can say that Vibrant was the only thing I dosed for two months right before my crash. Acro's started looking pale a week before I discontinued use. I dosed Chemiclean a week after stopping Vibrant because I had Cyano take over during Vibrant. I then dosed a small dose of Fluconozole a week after stopping Chemiclean because I still had Bryopsis. I know how to run an Acropora system and have used Chemiclean and fluconazole in the past with no issues. Fast forward 2 weeks after stopping and this was the result.

Late 2020 while using Vibrant. You can hear the excitement in my voice.

20210122_001551.jpg

I now keep this by my tank as a reminder to never use things like this ever again!
20220226_100345.jpg

Last edited:

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And algaecides are bad because it will also kill zooxanthellae? I'm a newbie trying to understand
Potentially, yes. We're also at a point in the hobby where having a refugium with macro algae is common, so running vibrant can/will kill that and could potentially throw off a bunch of stuff in your tank.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a bottle of this when originally setting up my tank thinking it might be helpful to have around some day. Now I am afraid to use it and it just sits in my drawer with other unused stuff.

Are there any companies out there that can do an analysis of some sort?

I feel like this has enough attention that people would chip in to cover costs of this. Although, I think it's shady the company won't answer to what's in it and should probably be enough to make people stop using/buying it until they do so.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bottle of this when originally setting up my tank thinking it might be helpful to have around some day. Now I am afraid to use it and it just sits in my drawer with other unused stuff.

Are there any companies out there that can do an analysis of some sort?

I feel like this has enough attention that people would chip in to cover costs of this. Although, I think it's shady the company won't answer to what's in it and should probably be enough to make people stop using/buying it until they do so.
lt's right here my friend...

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate this has come to light in this manner. I’m always wary of any products being sold for our reefs that will not disclose their contents. I have wanted to try to KZ products after seeing some have great success but contribute to pass.

Thanks Randy as always you are our reefing guardian angel!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then would Poly Filter also work.

I don't know. I am not sure what charge a polyfilter has. If it is positively charged, I don't expect it will bind much.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back