Warning: Use Vibrant at your own risk

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those unaware the ingredient in algaefix is also listed as a molluscicide. I posted I’m that other thread about how I struggled with a mystery disease that wasn’t pinched mantle or Pyramid snails in my clam system that eventually killed 53 clams. That were, at least at some point, growing in the system with white new shell.

I can’t blame vibrant as I don’t know 100% the reason of death, but I did use it several times in the system. I don’t know if the active ingredient is toxic to the clams we keep, but it appears to be to other species, I doubt it’s been tested much on our clams.

I do know I lost between 8-10k in my beloved livestock to a mystery - and if vibrant was properly labeled as per EPA requirements I sure would not have used it since as I stated before according the the EPA the active ingredient is used to control algae, fungus, and mollusks in industrial cooling water.

I’m sure some have used it and their clams lived. Be thankful.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is 2 for 2 with product pushing. Lol. Never used the stuff. There's no magic in a bottle for this hobby.
Not true. Live phyto comes in a bottle. Also helps with the same issues vibrant claimed to.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley It still has bacteria in it correct? My current understanding is that it's algaefix with heterotrophic bacteria mixed into a bottle.
There has been 0 evidence to support any bacteria. Both by using a centrifuge and based on the most recent results. (Any living matter would have made that chart almost unreadable to my understanding )

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. Live phyto comes in a bottle. Also helps with the same issues vibrant claimed to.
The Office Reaction GIF

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what leads me to believe there is something else in it as well. I have used AlgaeFix for years in full blown SPS tanks and never had any RTN/STN at all.
Yeah there definitely could be....whatever is in it was not appreciated by two of my tanks.

Atrumblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, seems like everyone has a different experience with Vibrant. I have been using it for months to keep bryopsis in check. I haven't had anything die except a frammer which I suspect died more due to the algae in my tank stripping the nutrients out of the water.

I honestly haven't seen any signs of stress to my other coral, fish, or inverts and I have been dosing 1.5x the recommended dose twice a week.

Any micro-biologists out there that can confirm if Vibrant contains any bacteria at all?

I suspect that Vibrant is simply a form of carbon dosing considering it has vinegar in it.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS is 2 for 2 with product pushing. Lol. Never used the stuff. There's no magic in a bottle for this hobby.

BRS was one of the last major retailers to pick it up and sell it. They were very hesitant to bring it in. Don't let the facts get in the way though...

They literally did an investigates on it and showed it work. Where exactly did they go wrong? Because they believed a manufacturer? Might as well take 99% of the items off their site right now. I mean we are all trusting what manufacturers tell us is in their products. This goes for everyday life too, not just our hobby.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hmm, seems like everyone has a different experience with Vibrant. I have been using it for months to keep bryopsis in check. I haven't had anything die except a frammer which I suspect died more due to the algae in my tank stripping the nutrients out of the water.

I honestly haven't seen any signs of stress to my other coral, fish, or inverts and I have been dosing 1.5x the recommended dose twice a week.

Any micro-biologists out there that can confirm if Vibrant contains any bacteria at all?

I suspect that Vibrant is simply a form of carbon dosing considering it has vinegar in it.

Just read the linked thread in the first post. There is no carbon source and there is zero bacteria found in Vibrant. It is rebranded API AlgaeFix at twice the cost.

No problem using an algaecide if you so choose. Just know that is what you are using. Then go save some money and buy AlgaeFix instead.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been 0 evidence to support any bacteria. Both by using a centrifuge and based on the most recent results. (Any living matter would have made that chart almost unreadable to my understanding )

Now that is interesting as they clearly state bacteria lol. I'd almost like to see someone test specifically for bacteria.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what leads me to believe there is something else in it as well. I have used AlgaeFix for years in full blown SPS tanks and never had any RTN/STN at all.

None of the tests done show this to be true. There is nothing else added that showed up at least. The similarities between the two are actually quite scary. Like they are the exact same product ;)

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just a matter of time before something like this came out. Any time someone is selling a miracle in a bottle and refuses to tell you what’s in it, you should be skeptical.

That’s why I was surprised BRS through a lot of weight behind Vibrant and it’s creator. I’ll be curious to see if they shift their stance.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is interesting as they clearly state bacteria lol. I'd almost like to see someone test specifically for bacteria.
See the old thread. Also per their actual claim they have stated that there’s no bacteria in the product as they filter it out and only leave the byproduct. ( this isn’t true either since it is clearly just algae fix but by their own admission you will never find bacteria).

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lt's right here my friend...

Ha! That’s what’s I get for browsing f/my phone. Duh…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back