Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp Sandbox?

ChuneReef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2021
Messages
15
Reaction score
35
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I'm thinking about Changing my sand-bottomed tank to a bare bottom. However, I have a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair that I love dearly. I was thinking about making a sort of sandbox for them to dig tunnels in. I have several questions about this:

1. Is this a bad idea for any reason?
2. If not, how would I go about this/are there any examples of this?
3. how would I safely catch my goby and shrimp without stressing them out too much? I'm assuming a funnel trap correct?

Hopefully, someone can guide me in the right direction here :)
 
Maybe I don't understand what it is you are doing, but if you are considering removing sand from an existing tank I have been told that can lead to all sorts of imbalances in a tank. At least that is what the guys at BRS said when they did it to their large tank. It messed things up for a long time and it took them forever to get it normal again.

I assume they are talking about parameters changing and messing with the biological filtration of the sandbed.

As for your other question I have no idea.

But maybe you want to look into removing sand before you do it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new