Water change idea???

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 40g aio cube. Don't really mind buckets but was wondering...

If I don't mind using a siphon to remove 4g of water (and clean sand bed) could I just get a single sensor ato to refill out of my mixed water stored beside the tank? Essentially, place the sensor at my current tank water level with the ato off, remove my water, then turn the ato on. I know it's not legit automated but I don't mind being hands on.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 40g aio cube. Don't really mind buckets but was wondering...

If I don't mind using a siphon to remove 4g of water (and clean sand bed) could I just get a single sensor ato to refill out of my mixed water stored beside the tank? Essentially, place the sensor at my current tank water level with the ato off, remove my water, then turn the ato on. I know it's not legit automated but I don't mind being hands on.
Sure why not. Call it 'semi automated'. I've thought about something like that but then again...spending money on the ATO when I could do the same with a pump in a min or two standing there never seemed worth it especially with a switched power outlet.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it would work. However in your scenario i dont see the benefit You have to be there during the siphon, turning the ato off(then on again). Seems would be easier to just flip a switch to pump saltwater in and flip it off when full rather than setting it up using a sensor.

OP
OP
RBarth

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...thought about all that after I posted lol. Also I'd probably burn that ato motor up pumping 5g at a time every week. Just can't get myself to spend $450 on the Kamoer x2sr. Also not going down the apex hole...

Thanks!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it would work. However in your scenario i dont see the benefit You have to be there during the siphon, turning the ato off(then on again). Seems would be easier to just flip a switch to pump saltwater in and flip it off when full rather than setting it up using a sensor.
I agree, seems like it would just be easier to have a dedicated pump in your SW container and just plug it in/turn it on when you need to refill the tank. The other issue is that you’d have to turn the ATO off while you’re siphoning so that it’s not pumping water in while you’re siphoning. At that point, since you have to turn it on and off, you might as well just skip the ATO. Or get a full automatic water change system going.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydros controller has a water change type output built in. It controls a fill pump, drain pump and ATO pump. A second level sensor is optional. I don't use it since I use a dual head dosing pump but i got screenshots of the output and the schedule and posted it below. The high level input would be the level sensor used for the ATO and the low lefel sensor would be the one you want the water change to drain. If you don't use the low level sensor it would use the drain duration to do it.

F1ECFDA5-D01E-4DE6-AAF4-CE5D301BD7F4.png

91E630DD-3F1B-49DC-A521-37B3CBDBEE66.png

OP
OP
RBarth

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have definitely considered that however there's a story. I got out of the reef game about 10 years ago because I drove myself crazy trying to gadget and automate everything. Trying to simplify without automating everything if that makes sense. It's why I went with a smaller aio which I know has its own challenges but can always trick out if I want. Gonna attach a pic of what I finally set up this past weekend. The light is there only for the pic. Funny thing is I was in the process of ordering stuff for another tank when I had to move so I never did...it's a kessil a350 and was the rage in 2013 lol and now..well...probably won't use it. Will be months before I 'need' a light and that will be another discussion in its own. Oh, the stand was a custom build from my previous 90g cube so the 40 looks dink on it!

Attachments

• 20211017_201156.jpg
    20211017_201156.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 18

rwb500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have my ATO hooked up to a DIY switch so I could flip it from pumping from the FW tank to the SW tank. During a water change, just flip the switch and start siphoning.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back