Water change plumbing

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any plumbing ideas out there to run new water change water into plumbing?

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my water both fresh and salt in my basement. I have a pump that I switch back and forth from bin to bin for the return that feeds my sump. I have a drain that is then plumbed into my drain in my basement. I start a siphon from my display and know exactly how much water I need to remove by marking it on the display. Both bins are 50 gallon brute trashcans.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my water both fresh and salt in my basement. I have a pump that I switch back and forth from bin to bin for the return that feeds my sump. I have a drain that is then plumbed into my drain in my basement. I start a siphon from my display and know exactly how much water I need to remove by marking it on the display. Both bins are 50 gallon brute trashcans.

Well I don’t have the luxury of having a basement. Any suggestions on how to keep this clean in a home?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to hook it up somewhere on the return line from the sump. Above a ball valve so the water is directed to the tank.

I know I can run an additional horizontal pipe to my water change pump, but if it’s a smaller pump, how would you connect the pump to plumbing?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use reduction fittings and maybe a hose barb if you use soft tubing to the pump

Exactly what I was looking for! Tell me your thoughts on having one before a ball valve on the return line also so I can pump water out as well.

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use clear flex tubing that is a bit bigger that 1/2 " OD, 25 feet, a small hand-pump to start the siphon. Sucking works well too. One end in the sink, one in the aquarium. A small pump for putting new water into the sump from a large bin.

I use a sump, so I add the new water in the sump, and remove water from the main display.
Gravity does the work of removing, and a 30 gal Rubbermaid (biggest they sell) from Walmart contains the RODI water I prepared the day before. Warmed up & bubbled with airstone.

In the sump I have a small pump that recirculates water in the sump. I take it out of the sump, into the Rubbermaid, so adding new water as I am removing.
Then patience and timing. To turn over 25 gals takes me some 30 minutes.

I suggest using your bathtub to store your bin, create RODI water in it. Should the bin overflow, it does so in your bathtub. All you need then is a way to pump water from the bin into your tank after draining the tank.
Then a place to put either the Rubbermaid or Brute bin somewhere in storage for the next WC.

NOTE!! : The walk-in closet is NOT a good choice for storage, as your S.O. will remind you.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution isn't plumbed into the tank, but it works. I use a separate pump and three sections of 1'' flexible vinyl tubing and pump the water from the display into the commode. The sections of vinyl tubing are connected via unions. Then I drain the tubing and use the same pump to pump the new water from two brute cans into the display.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution isn't plumbed into the tank, but it works. I use a separate pump and three sections of 1'' flexible vinyl tubing and pump the water from the display into the commode. The sections of vinyl tubing are connected via unions. Then I drain the tubing and use the same pump to pump the new water from two brute cans into the display.

I am currently doing the same on a smaller 27 gallon tank. I use 5 gallon buckets with gallon markers on them to measure water taking out so I’m spot on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back