Water Change: What's the average time it takes you? Tips and tricks...

What is the average time to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude mixing the salt)

• 30 min or less

Votes: 465 45.6%
  • 1 hour or less

Votes: 345 33.8%
  • 2 hours or less

Votes: 133 13.0%
  • 3 hours or less

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • 5 hours or less

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 46 4.5%

• Total voters

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is set up to do 1.5 gallon changes automatically right now. I currently don’t do constant water changes. I have it drain the 1.5 gallons, and then add new water back every day starting at 00:01. It takes the system about 7 hours to complete the program. Since it runs in the middle of the night I never here the DOS pumps going.

10.5 gallons a week
140 Gallon system volume

Fishguywc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other! I’ve been using a
Smart AWC for about 1.5 years now and it does a small WC on my 75g everyday. I’ll never go back, I love it and my corals love it too. I still have to mix up batches of SW that part takes the longest :)

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 25 gallons once a week. 5 five gallon buckets. I use the good old gravel vac to drain but use a pump to fill from the buckets. 1 hour or less.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol awesome

On average it takes me to drain and fill ten gallons:

IMG_20200328_192328800.jpg

When I planned my system, I didn't want to pack buckets anymore.

Basement sump was plumbed into the house drain:

93f439e0f089d25780b8fe65ffb10a12.jpg

Refill, I use a hose with a PVC elbows attached to my water changing station near by:

IMG_20191219_183224648.jpg

IMG_20200301_142855352.jpg

Anything you can do to make maintenance easier on you, do it!

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said an hour or less but I guess if you are just talking water out/water in it would be a half hour or less. I do my water changes “on the fly” at my basement sump. I pump old water out of section 2 and pump new water into the return pump section. The only thing I unplug is my ato just in case. But for the most part the water level stays steady. Along with the water change, I change filter floss, filter socks, empty the skimmer. I change any gfo or carbon that’s old, change any rodi filters that are due, refill alk and cal for dosing if needed, start a batch of top off water. some of this I do while I wait for my salt to mix (hw marinemix, so as soon as it’s clear it’s ready) and some I do while the water is pumping out and in. The only thing that happens upstairs at the display tank is blowing off the rocks, little sand stir, and cleaning the glass inside and out.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said an hour or less but I guess if you are just talking water out/water in it would be a half hour or less. I do my water changes “on the fly” at my basement sump. I pump old water out of section 2 and pump new water into the return pump section. The only thing I unplug is my ato just in case. But for the most part the water level stays steady. Along with the water change, I change filter floss, filter socks, empty the skimmer. I change any gfo or carbon that’s old, change any rodi filters that are due, refill alk and cal for dosing if needed, start a batch of top off water. some of this I do while I wait for my salt to mix (hw marinemix, so as soon as it’s clear it’s ready) and some I do while the water is pumping out and in. The only thing that happens upstairs at the display tank is blowing off the rocks, little sand stir, and cleaning the glass inside and out.

Basement sumps are a huge blessing! :);Joyful;Happy;Headphone

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set up.I just get worried draining my old tank water into my septic. I wanted to,but My local inspector said it’s not safe for my septic tank.

Kris 2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement sump are a huge blessing! :);Joyful;Happy;Headphone
I will never go back to having that mess in my living room, and lugging buckets! I mix my water in a 18 ish gallon Rubbermaid bin stored in the sump stand, and I never have to move it! Old water goes right into the laundry sink.

29D93934-AF80-44E3-B610-131B9516932D.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never go back to having that mess in my living room, and lugging buckets! I mix my water in a 18 ish gallon Rubbermaid bin stored in the sump stand, and I never have to move it! Old water goes right into the laundry sink.

29D93934-AF80-44E3-B610-131B9516932D.jpeg

Love DIY!

My sump:

IMG_20180701_125357.jpg

Kris 2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set up.I just get worried draining my old tank water into my septic. I wanted to,but My local inspector said it’s not safe for my septic tank.
I worry a bit about that, and about all the rodi waste that goes to it too, but my septic is already 40 years old, so we’ve been on borrowed time for awhile. I can see the saltwater not being good for it though, makes sense. Septics are basically a biological filter just like we have in our tanks, adding something that would affect the bacterial flora would have a negative effect.

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 gallon cube. I use a cheap sump pump too remove 5g from my sump, then replace the filter floss, clean my skimmer, use my flipper cleaner (Tool from the gods) to scrape my glass if its needed, then pour a fresh 5 gallons back in. Takes about 20 minutes (Longer if I frag some stuff), maybe less. I do this every week. I believe this is enough to replenish elements, keep my tank stable, and make my tank look great! Photo taken directly after last weeks water change.
F13DC675-597B-4DB9-BE40-30C5B58810B4.jpg

Acrocrazy725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home tank 100gallon - apex AWC 2 gallons a day zero time for water changes, 10 minutes every other week to mix salt.
Best thing I have ever bought for reef tank, hands down!!!!!!!!!!!

Work tank 125 gallon - no apex yet, 30 minutes every other week 20%.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo... it should take less than 30 mins... however, it takes me a lot long because I get distracted.

Typical water change is as followed

90 gallons of water: 9-14 gallons of water changed every week.

I have a 7 gallon jug and I use a manual siphon to remove the water.

Start the siphon and suction the top layer of sand
sand clogs the filter on siphon, stop siphon to remove sand, start siphon over
siphon wont start over still clogged, clear and try again, okay now working start siphon again, suction rest of sand
...did I turn off the ATO (no... I never do...)
what is that fish doing, why is he acting that way
is it "insert some deadly fish related disease here"
Better google it. Googling...googling..googling
OMG I forgot to stop the siphon, water on floor.
Stop siphon carry 7 gallon jug (58 pounds) outside and dump in yard
Start siphon again, balance precariously under power head
back to google... doesn't seem to be "insert some deadly fish related disease here"
is that bubble algae? Where did that come from? I wonder if I can get it really quick... aww man I popped the bubbles
Jugs not entirely full... but I spilled some water on the floor last time so better stop now.
Stop siphon carry 6 gallon jug (50 pounds) outside and dump in yard.
Go down to basement, fill clean 7 gallon jug with saltwater from mixing station and carry upstairs.
Stop halfway up to breath heavily and swear I'm going to go back to the gym soon
dump into the sump... I can't lift that up enough to dump in tank... turn on pump
...did I turn off the skimmer (no... skimmer overflowing)
Go down to basement, fill 7 gallon jug with saltwater from mixing station and carry upstairs.
Stop halfway up to breath heavily and debate the cost to have pump and hose bring the water up for me
dump into the sump
Stare at tank for 20 minuets until my husband walks by and asks why the floor is wet
Wipe up floor go to bed

...3 days later... did I turn the ATO and skimmer back on

oh my! This sounds so much like what I do I had to quote it. Two tanks at once. 140 & 65 gallons. I vacuum, clean skimmers, sponges, scrape glass admire fish. I am so like the quote above me for reals. Splashed water on a redsea good and shorter out the electrical once even. Get carried away and move rocks. I can't stay focused!
Shelley

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Water Change (revhtree's definition) - Making your aquarium water better by removing some nasty stuff from your water and replenishing it with some good stuff. Your corals and fish will really like it. :p

Now that we know it helps by removing bad stuff and adding good stuff let's talk about how long it takes you and any tips and tricks you might have!

1. What is the average time it takes you to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude the salt mixing time)

2. How many gallons of water do you change normally and how many gallons is your total aquarium volume?

3. What are some tips and tricks you have learned over the years to make changing out your water easier and faster?

From @saltyhog: "My home made method for attaching the clear tubing that sends new salt water to the tank."
Water change fitting.jpg
What is the average time it takes you to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude the salt mixing time)
4-5 hrs slow drip all automated,

2. How many gallons of water do you change normally and how many gallons is your total aquarium volume?

7 gallons every 2 days, system total water volume is 85 gallons approximately

3. What are some tips and tricks you have learned over the years to make changing out your water easier and faster?

If possible you got to use your brain more than your physique. For me I know the older I get the more difficult it's going to be moving around 5 gallon buckets. So I have a hose bib right next to my tank and so I hook up r o filtration unit when it's time to prepare fresh saltwater.
I'm at the point where I know exactly how much salt for 14 gallons. So when I hook up the RO system there's a float in the reservoir and so it will fill the reservoir up to a point. I dump the salt and there's already a pump in the reservoir to mix the water with the salt. Then I have two dosing pumps that are program one to draw water out of the display tank and the other to add new salt water , 7 gallons in , 7 gallons out. It takes about 4 to 5 hours to add 7 gallons and remove 7 gallons. I usually start the process at midnight. No more lugging around water buckets.

Last edited:

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To just change out some water, 30 minutes or less.

But my typical Saturday routine is 3-5 hrs. Clean all the glass on the tanks, siphons the sand bed, change filter socks, and clean pumps/skimmer as needed. That’s cleaning 2 or 3 of my tanks FYI

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back