Water Change: What's the average time it takes you? Tips and tricks...

What is the average time to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude mixing the salt)

• 30 min or less

Votes: 465 45.6%
  • 1 hour or less

Votes: 345 33.8%
  • 2 hours or less

Votes: 133 13.0%
  • 3 hours or less

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • 5 hours or less

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 46 4.5%

• Total voters

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to basics for me..2 x buckets and a wide piece of hose. Dirty water in one bucket and clean in the other. 15% change once a month. It takes about 12 minutes.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallon system. 75 display 40 Rubbermaid sump. With a flip of a valve I can dump 10/12 gallons in a bucket and I dump equal amount back in the sump. I sometimes don't even heat the water. Unconventional yes, but 10% volume mixing in the sump, mixing as it rises to the main level from the basement and mixing as it dumps into the display. It doesn't effect the temp much in the display.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is the average time it takes you to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude the salt mixing time) Water change alone 10min to syphon drain to the street. 10min to fill with maxijet pump. Actual time of process 45min including carbon changes, vacuuming poop in tank and sump, sock change, wiping down tank and stand. “Like new again”

2. How many gallons of water do you change normally and how many gallons is your total aquarium volume? Change 20-40 depending how the tank vibe feels to me. 100 gallon total volume.

3. What are some tips and tricks you have learned over the years to make changing out your water easier and faster? More automation the better. Pumps, pipes/tubes, and switches. Spend the time to do it the best you can. Saves a HUGE amount of time and energy in the long run.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is the average time it takes you to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude the salt mixing time)
About 10-15 minutes.

2. How many gallons of water do you change normally and how many gallons is your total aquarium volume?
90-gallon tank, and I change 5 gallons every week, sometimes twice a week.

3. What are some tips and tricks you have learned over the years to make changing out your water easier and faster?
I am limited by what I can lug around, but I can still carry a 5-gallon jug full of water (keeps me young), so that's my water change number. I just mix the salt/RO water ahead of time with a heater and a small powerhead. When everything is mixed and the right temperature, I siphon 5 gallons into my jug and add the new saltwater to the tank. I also keep a larger (around 20 gallon) reservoir with a larger pump in the garage in case a larger water change is needed.

Cmccarthy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo... it should take less than 30 mins... however, it takes me a lot long because I get distracted.

Typical water change is as followed

90 gallons of water: 9-14 gallons of water changed every week.

I have a 7 gallon jug and I use a manual siphon to remove the water.

Start the siphon and suction the top layer of sand
sand clogs the filter on siphon, stop siphon to remove sand, start siphon over
siphon wont start over still clogged, clear and try again, okay now working start siphon again, suction rest of sand
...did I turn off the ATO (no... I never do...)
what is that fish doing, why is he acting that way
is it "insert some deadly fish related disease here"
Better google it. Googling...googling..googling
OMG I forgot to stop the siphon, water on floor.
Stop siphon carry 7 gallon jug (58 pounds) outside and dump in yard
Start siphon again, balance precariously under power head
back to google... doesn't seem to be "insert some deadly fish related disease here"
is that bubble algae? Where did that come from? I wonder if I can get it really quick... aww man I popped the bubbles
Jugs not entirely full... but I spilled some water on the floor last time so better stop now.
Stop siphon carry 6 gallon jug (50 pounds) outside and dump in yard.
Go down to basement, fill clean 7 gallon jug with saltwater from mixing station and carry upstairs.
Stop halfway up to breath heavily and swear I'm going to go back to the gym soon
dump into the sump... I can't lift that up enough to dump in tank... turn on pump
...did I turn off the skimmer (no... skimmer overflowing)
Go down to basement, fill 7 gallon jug with saltwater from mixing station and carry upstairs.
Stop halfway up to breath heavily and debate the cost to have pump and hose bring the water up for me
dump into the sump
Stare at tank for 20 minuets until my husband walks by and asks why the floor is wet
Wipe up floor go to bed

...3 days later... did I turn the ATO and skimmer back on
Oh my goodness. I was crying this was so funny. Thank you for your truthful and wonderful story. Hilarious and we all have been here. This brightened my day. Blessings

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWC here also …. if you exclude the salt mixing step then it takes me no time at all ….. literally.

Vegareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Water Change (revhtree's definition) - Making your aquarium water better by removing some nasty stuff from your water and replenishing it with some good stuff. Your corals and fish will really like it. :p

Now that we know it helps by removing bad stuff and adding good stuff let's talk about how long it takes you and any tips and tricks you might have!

1. What is the average time it takes you to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude the salt mixing time)

2. How many gallons of water do you change normally and how many gallons is your total aquarium volume?

3. What are some tips and tricks you have learned over the years to make changing out your water easier and faster?

From @saltyhog: "My home made method for attaching the clear tubing that sends new salt water to the tank."
Water change fitting.jpg
Aquarium Water Change (revhtree's definition) - Making your aquarium water better by removing some nasty stuff from your water and replenishing it with some good stuff. Your corals and fish will really like it. :p

Now that we know it helps by removing bad stuff and adding good stuff let's talk about how long it takes you and any tips and tricks you might have!

From @saltyhog: "My home made method for attaching the clear tubing that sends new salt water to the tank."
Water change fitting.jpg
20 minutes I just push 4 buttons and my water change is done without lifting a drop of water.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually takes me at least thirty minutes, BUT recently I have been bottling up extra water and just dumping it in. That takes five minutes. I struggle with telling how much or house little water I need to make so I often make extra. Who I didn’t think of this before, who the heck knows.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is the average time it takes you to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude the salt mixing time) 60 minutes

2. How many gallons of water do you change normally and how many gallons is your total aquarium volume? 30 gallons. Total water volume of system is 170 gallons.

3. What are some tips and tricks you have learned over the years to make changing out your water easier and faster? I have my mixing station in the garage with 2 30 gallon containers and a 50ft hose. I mix the new salt water in one container a couple of days before and keep a power head running to thoroughly mix the salt (Martin Tropic). With a transfer pump, I run the hose from the tank to the second 30 gallon container and pump the water out of the tank. I make sure the water level in the waste water container matches the level of the new salt water so I only remove as much as I have for replacement. Once the water is removed I have quick-connects on the hoses to switch in/out on the transfer pump. Now I can pump the waste water into a utility sink and then the new salt water into the display tank. No lugging buckets and my back tanks me!!!

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone still remove detritus, blow off corals w baster, scrape glass, and attempt to remove all of the filth during water changes?

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change about 8-9 gallons every two weeks using multiple pumps, a brute on wheels, and 2 buckets. Cleaning sand is my challenge.

Nick Barbier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am old school and low tech, I have no fancy contrapions or configurations. I have a 125g mixed reef. I do a 36g (28%) water change that takes me about an hour from start to finish. I use 32g Brute trash can and a 10g Rubbermaid tote for R/O water. I pump the water into two, 18g round tubs from Walmart. I use small submersible pumps to mix in 9g of Red Sea salt in each tub. Once the saltwater is mixed and the temp is stabilized with my tank water (77.5°F), I turn off the return pump and the powerheads and start draining the old tank water into my kitchen sink drain using a Python syphon. I have marks on the side of my tank at 18g and 36g. When the water is drained, I turn on the return pump and use the pumps in the tubs to put the new saltwater into the sump. The longest part of the process is draining the old water from the tank. This takes about 30 minutes.
I do a 36g water change once a month. I don't feel the need to do water changes more frequently because I automatically dose 2 part solution and Red Sea NOPOX every morning before the tank lights come on.

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my past experience with freshwater discus is don't rush water change make sure everything is correct before transferring the old water out and the new water in.

Take 5 min to check you have everything before starting last thing you want to do is throw a load of water down drain and find out you run out salt and its a Sunday and LFS is closed.

Check and double check the water before putting it back in its easy to make adjustment to you water in a bucket before putting it into the tank.

I have taken up to 24 hours before prepping water in external drums and only once its at same PH and GH and Temp would i then pump it to the display tank. There no need to rush a water change if you put right amount of prep work in and have a pump once your water is ready it only takes few mins to drain the old and pump new in.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo... it should take less than 30 mins... however, it takes me a lot long because I get distracted.

Typical water change is as followed

90 gallons of water: 9-14 gallons of water changed every week.

I have a 7 gallon jug and I use a manual siphon to remove the water.

Start the siphon and suction the top layer of sand
sand clogs the filter on siphon, stop siphon to remove sand, start siphon over
siphon wont start over still clogged, clear and try again, okay now working start siphon again, suction rest of sand
...did I turn off the ATO (no... I never do...)
what is that fish doing, why is he acting that way
is it "insert some deadly fish related disease here"
Better google it. Googling...googling..googling
OMG I forgot to stop the siphon, water on floor.
Stop siphon carry 7 gallon jug (58 pounds) outside and dump in yard
Start siphon again, balance precariously under power head
back to google... doesn't seem to be "insert some deadly fish related disease here"
is that bubble algae? Where did that come from? I wonder if I can get it really quick... aww man I popped the bubbles
Jugs not entirely full... but I spilled some water on the floor last time so better stop now.
Stop siphon carry 6 gallon jug (50 pounds) outside and dump in yard.
Go down to basement, fill clean 7 gallon jug with saltwater from mixing station and carry upstairs.
Stop halfway up to breath heavily and swear I'm going to go back to the gym soon
dump into the sump... I can't lift that up enough to dump in tank... turn on pump
...did I turn off the skimmer (no... skimmer overflowing)
Go down to basement, fill 7 gallon jug with saltwater from mixing station and carry upstairs.
Stop halfway up to breath heavily and debate the cost to have pump and hose bring the water up for me
dump into the sump
Stare at tank for 20 minuets until my husband walks by and asks why the floor is wet
Wipe up floor go to bed

...3 days later... did I turn the ATO and skimmer back on

I. AM. DYING.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Drain the old water into a bucket on a dolly with a piece of flex tubing. 5 minutes. Pump the new water from a 20 gallon AGA, sitting next to the aquarium. 5 minutes Roll the old water to the bathroom and drain into the tub and put everything away. 5 minutes Total 15 minutes, not including mixing.

13 Gallons, every two weeks in a 120 gallon SPS dominated mixed reef.

As mentioned, having the bucket for the old water on a dolly and the new water reservoir installed next to the display (with float switch, RODI plumbed directly and a basic pump to return freshly mixed water to the display) means never carrying a bucket filled with water. Also, 13 gallons is heavy! Another tip, something I should do as well, weigh your salt before mixing!

Last edited:

TAL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
320 g between 4 tanks. 3 tanks on bottom floor, 1 on main floor.
Change out 65g between the 4 tanks.
30 minutes max!! Python to drain tanks' water and, python to fill with a sump pump in (2) Brute cans! +30yrs experience...lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back