Water changes or equipment /supplements for nutrient export - a Poll....

What 'method' do you use to keep nitrate and other undesirables (metals for example) in check?

• Water changes

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • Carbon

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Skimmer

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Algae (reactor, refugium, etc)

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Triton method with ICP testing

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Other method with ICP testing

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Denitrator

• Biopellets

• Something else

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lately - after a couple items failed and having problems in the past with various algae outbreaks, chemical methods to control algae, etc etc. I've come to the conclusion that 'simpler is better' - So - for my current tank I have a skimmer, some carbon in the sump - and dose 2 part using weekly testing. Since abandoning other methods - chaeto, chemicals, etc - My tank (tested weekly) has never been more 'stable' - with excellent coral growth. I do a 25 percent water change every 2 weeks. I have found I spend less money on this - than I would be with lots of equipment and testing, ICP tests, etc. Of course every tank has a different bio load, corals, etc.

Because there was a large discussion a couple months ago when Triton came out - and many have gone to 'no water change systems' - I thought it might be interesting to revisit the question now that people have more experience.

In the comments - please add the 'reason' - for your choice.

Note - its assumed that the 'Triton method' already uses 'algae' - so you dont need to check that twice

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to change the poll options, you say you have moved to w/c and carbon, yet the only 2 poll options are w/c or carbon?

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Carbon won't remove nitrates to my knowledge. I personally use an algae scrubber 16 hr's a day.
Agreed - but it can remove other undesirable 'stuff'

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you need to change the poll options, you say you have moved to w/c and carbon, yet the only 2 poll options are w/c or carbon?
Refresh - it posted early - there are several choices now - and you can pick more than one:). Thanks

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree “keep it simple stupid” is always a good fall back, but I’m wondering if you are just more experienced now, know you need to keep on top of things so don’t have to use other methods...how long have you been running the new tank this way, is there time for things to go south.

I don’t think people go out of there way to add chemicals etc stuff happens, life gets in the way, you miss a water change etc

If you’re advocating being consistent, then yes you will probably have better results than someone that doesn’t, but if you are saying your simpler way will give better results, I think you need to add a few caveats, that if you stay consistent and you are not unlucky with your next frag purchase you may just get away with it.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree “keep it simple stupid” is always a good fall back, but I’m wondering if you are just more experienced now, know you need to keep on top of things so don’t have to use other methods...how long have you been running the new tank this way, is there time for things to go south.

I don’t think people go out of there way to add chemicals etc stuff happens, life gets in the way, you miss a water change etc

If you’re advocating being consistent, then yes you will probably have better results than someone that doesn’t, but if you are saying your simpler way will give better results, I think you need to add a few caveats, that if you stay consistent and you are not unlucky with your next frag purchase you may just get away with it.

I have had this tank set up for about 15 years (about 5 years ago - I changed from a regular tank/sump - to a red-sea reefer - but I just used the same water, sand, rock pump, skimmer, and moved it over. But - I wasn't trying to imply 'my way was the best way'. The reason for the poll is to get a feeling of 1) what people are doing and 2) to discuss some of the issues with water changes and no water changes. 6 months to a year or more ago - there was a big trend to do no water changes. I tried some of them - and found my tank to be less successful - and more expensive and time-consuming for me. So - yeah - its just a poll:)

Edit - there is always 'time for things to go south' in this hobby - BUT - I don't see 'how' - at least from the nutrient export/avoidance of toxins in the tank (which is the purpose of the poll)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a topic I have been thinking alot about for the new tank RS650P
my plans to remove N&P is ATS, skimmer and AWC of about 1.5 gal a day.

I am all about the natural way and finding balance that said I will run a UV as well to keep the water nice a clear. this should give me the balance and stability I am after.

no all that said there is a possibility of a large 300+ FOWLR system in my feature. there I will do a lot less WC over sized skimmer, ATS , carbon,UV and maybe GFO to find the balance I am after and do 100 gal WC when needed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back