Water Clarity

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get nearly purely clear water but it’s too hard with just the filter pad and bag of carbon I’m running in my media basket. Any thoughts on the best filtration? I was thinking seachem purigen, filter floss, carbon and a mini refugium but I’m not too sure.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to removing particulates or yellowing?

Ozone is the one thing that creates water that seems transparent, more than any other method. That said, it is not without its own issues relating to controlling it, etc.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to removing particulates or yellowing?

Ozone is the one thing that creates water that seems transparent, more than any other method. That said, it is not without its own issues relating to controlling it, etc.
I have small particulates and that’s about it, the bag of carbon keeps the water from being yellow and that’s pretty much it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small particulates and that’s about it, the bag of carbon keeps the water from being yellow and that’s pretty much it.

While I'm not pushing ozone, folks who start it after using GAC find the water is much more transparent. It is a striking effect that is often noticed by spouses even if the reefer doesn't mention any change.

I documented the effect in my tank and the difference was apparent even though i was using GAC:

Figure 1. Two digital photographs of a plastic bar taken through four feet of aquarium water. The bar on the left was taken before using ozone, and the bar on the right was taken after two weeks on ozone. The numbers were written onto the bar with marking pens. All camera settings were identical.

1611063239587.png

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...ozone is amazing for nuking DOCs. If you have it tweaked right you only need to run it a few hours a night as well.

For particulates in water regular old filter floss is the boss.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For occasional polishing of water I use a small powerhead with a polishing filter attached to it. Put it in at night and remove it in the morning, water will be crystal clear. I use it when I clean my rocks and sand, wonderful tool.

Attachments

• 41cZjBjdLUL._AC_.jpg
    41cZjBjdLUL._AC_.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For occasional polishing of water I use a small powerhead with a polishing filter attached to it. Put it in at night and remove it in the morning, water will be crystal clear. I use it when I clean my rocks and sand, wonderful tool.
I’ll look into it, thank you!

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question, do you have an Aqua Clear powerhead? It says that it’s an attachment, I have an AI nero 3..

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use filter socks and a UV filter. My father said it looked as though the fish were floating in air, the Water is so crystal clear.

I do a lot of water changes too, the system changes 1 Gallon every two hours on a 400G water volume, but it was only the recent re-enabling of the UV filter that really polished the water quality.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question, do you have an Aqua Clear powerhead? It says that it’s an attachment, I have an AI nero 3..
Nero 3 will not work. The powerhead is the type used for undergravel filter. Aqua Clear would be best.

AquaClear Powerhead 20 - 110 V, 127 Gallons per Hour $20 on Amazon​

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use filter socks and a UV filter. My father said it looked as though the fish were floating in air, the Water is so crystal clear.

I do a lot of water changes too, the system changes 1 Gallon every two hours on a 400G water volume, but it was only the recent re-enabling of the UV filter that really polished the water quality.
The UV is good for bacterial blooms, But for small particulates in water a mechanical filter is best. I also use both, but UV only when main lights are off or overnight. UV light can heat the water too much sometimes.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter is $9 and the powerhead it is attached too is $20. Good investment. The filter element can be cleaned and is replaceable. I use a bigger powerhead for my 75 gallon.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get nearly purely clear water but it’s too hard with just the filter pad and bag of carbon I’m running in my media basket. Any thoughts on the best filtration? I was thinking seachem purigen, filter floss, carbon and a mini refugium but I’m not too sure.

Filter floss and carbon.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back