Water Movers: What powerheads are you using and are you happy with them?

How happy are you with your powerheads/watermovers?

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 438 52.6%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 309 37.1%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Very Dissatisfied

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.1%

• Total voters

Kearneyc77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many options...trying to weigh mine...I have a hexagon tank and don’t want to create a funnel. But I definitely need two heads. One side collects more debris than the other and in the market for an upgrade. Not too powerful but controllable.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3 different sized Fluval powerheads, I really like how they work.
My only complaint would be the suchion cup holder should be changed to a magnetic holder

Richyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use many different brands, just depends on the situation. I use Maxspect Gyre, Tunze, Ecotech, and the mini sicce in tight spots. I try to really make sure there are no dead spots.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 MP40's on a 120 gal, very happy with them
Always used mp40's in my tanks until Nero 5's came along and I tried one, I have since swapped all my mp40's to Nero 5's.
How do you have yours positioned I’m hopefully get a set soon for my 110 right now I have gyre2k on each end they push good flow but are loud when in reverse mode.
So I’m curious about positioning on them specially being so tiny.

Robin316us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using 2 WAV pumps one mp10 and one mp40 on 120 gallon . I have always loved the versatility of the VorTech pumps The WAV pumps are a relatively new addition and time will tell but they are very strong pumps and move a lot of water !
Hi...can Is see the pic of the 120 tank with the wav pump. What's the dimension of the tank? I'm also thinking 2 get 2 WAV pump....

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have yours positioned I’m hopefully get a set soon for my 110 right now I have gyre2k on each end they push good flow but are loud when in reverse mode.
So I’m curious about positioning on them specially being so tiny.

I have since upgraded my tank to an 8’ with 4 MP40’s and 2 ReefWave 45’s.

On my 120 I had 2 top towards the back causing surface agitation and two lower front pushing just across the front of the rock structures

Drizzieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have used vortechs for years now and I find them particularly useful for almost any type of aquarium imagines le. The versatility and easy access is unparalleled in comparison to other pumps. They make it easy to swap out for maintenance is probably the biggest key factor for any tank equipment. Anytime there’s anything easy for maintenance that makes reefing that much more enjoyable!

JohnnyEngle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m utilizing Nero 5s in all my tanks. Now more so that they released the strainer with them now to protect fish and nems getting sucked up into them. Pack a lot of punch and I enjoy the ease of the app

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running dual Maxspect Gyre XF330s. Couldn't be happier with their performance and settings. I'm also using their wifi controller to make changing settings a breeze with my phone.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mix of pumps on several different tanks:

tunze 6105: these are my staple. My first one failed this year after 10 years of continuous use. The quietest of all pumps I’ve had.

Tunze stream 3. No issues so far.

Tunze wavebox. One was Fairly loud- not in the room they are in, but weirdly super loud in other rooms. Must be resonating at a frequency carried through the studs. Very big and ugly (a necessary function of the design), but nothing else recreates a wave the way they do. Corals seem to love them, and the wave reaches all parts of the aquarium in away nothing else does. Still they are so huge and ugly - had to mention twice!

Vortech MP40: nice form factor, especially if you can locate them on the back wall rather than the side. Also very easy to Maintain. Just turn off grab the wet side and drop in citric acid for 10 minutes, then scrub with toothbrush. However, for the huge price tag, quality seems variable. I’ve had 4 over the years and have had numerous but inconsistent issues. Sometimes the issue is the wet side, which is relatively easy to fix (although one rusted, which for a saltwater pump is inexcusable). Sometimes with the dry side or the controller is the issue. Sometimes they jam for no reason (seems down to individual pumps, as my oldest one is still going strong with original wet and dry sides).

Vortech MP10: similar time MP40s, although IME slightly more reliable. Still had an issue with one of 4 though.

Various jebao wave makers. not as well built as the jebao return pumps, which have proven excellent quality for me, but still great for the money compared to western brand names. I haven’t had any last longer than 2 years, but if you don’t have to rely on them while you are away for extended periods, and always keep spares on hand, then this is still way cheaper than the western branded pumps.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Jebao sow4 from the beginning and I just recently added a second one and I’m very pleased with them. Silent and can push water. 1 wasn’t cutting it but 2 and now tank looks much better.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to find those real large powergeads that move 10-15k or more gph, kind of looks like a beefy tunze. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Lol. Can't remember the brand but I dont think they're in this thread.

Back