Water not level

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am planning on moving my 85l peninsula nano next week. The water level of the tank is currently not evenly distributed (likely due to the cabinet that it's currently on)
You can see that the top left of the tank has a higher water level, whilst the top right of the tank has a lower water level. Trouble is, where I am planning on moving the tank I have doubts that it will be the same there, as the current furniture there is slightly off level. This is the trouble with having the tank upstairs in my opinion, floorboards in here are not great. Do you have any ideas as to how I can ensure that the water level will be level when I move it? I saw some aquarium mats on amazon, however I am unsure as to how effective they are. Any help will be appreciated, thanks

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can shim the tank to level it (use a level...), or if it's a relatively small variance, add a foam pad between the tank and stand. at any rate, you 100% do want to remedy it ASAP as uneven load on the glass can cause seam failure, which you absolutely don't want to deal with, ESPECIALLY upstairs.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can shim the tank to level it (use a level...), or if it's a relatively small variance, add a foam pad between the tank and stand. at any rate, you 100% do want to remedy it ASAP as uneven load on the glass can cause seam failure, which you absolutely don't want to deal with, ESPECIALLY upstairs.
Yes very true, although I have had the tank like this for about a year, I do want to ensure I fix it when I move it. Thanks for the info

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shims or adjustable leveling feet like they have on Brand name stands will probably be the best bet, with the foam leveling mat as well.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shims or adjustable leveling feet like they have on Brand name stands will probably be the best bet, with the foam leveling mat as well.
Right ok, I will look into this.
I am moving the tank onto a different IKEA cabinet, I will probably also put a jug of water on the stand and test that before I move the tank (not sure if this will represent what the tank will be like due to the mass of the tank)

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If aquriam and stand was brought together, your stand will be made to cover weight, along with keeping your aquriam level
I would not add anything in between your tank and stand 'top' to offset balance, (nothing below aquarium bottom glass and top of unit/stand)

I would look at the floor your planning to situate your aquriam on

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, it's very important to have a level stand but also make sure that the platform itself is not bowing or twisting.
It's one thing to have a stand strong enough to withstand the weight but if the surface under the tank can bend or sag you're going to be in bigger trouble. Twisting or bending the tank or having uneven pressure across the underside is a recipe for disaster, more so than simply not being level.
Many furniture cabinets can take a decent weight but they're not designed to be rigid and maintain a perfectly flat surface when loaded. They simply don't need to be for their intended purpose.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, it's very important to have a level stand but also make sure that the platform itself is not bowing or twisting.
It's one thing to have a stand strong enough to withstand the weight but if the surface under the tank can bend or sag you're going to be in bigger trouble. Twisting or bending the tank or having uneven pressure across the underside is a recipe for disaster, more so than simply not being level.
Many furniture cabinets can take a decent weight but they're not designed to be rigid and maintain a perfectly flat surface when loaded. They simply don't need to be for their intended purpose.
Very true, I will make sure to double check the cabinet before purchasing and do some more research.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If aquriam and stand was brought together, your stand will be made to cover weight, along with keeping your aquriam level
I would not add anything in between your tank and stand 'top' to offset balance, (nothing below aquarium bottom glass and top of unit/stand)

I would look at the floor your planning to situate your aquriam on
The stand that it is currently on is not included with the tank, however there is one made for the tank that you can buy as an extra, a lot more expensive though. The stand that I am planning on using is from IKEA, which in all honesty may not be the strongest but I will make sure to do extra research before using. The surface that it will be on will be new carpet that is being laid about a week before the move.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back