Waterbox cube 20 - Chapter 1 (ReefScape20g)

Reefscape20g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! I'm Daan, and this is going to be my first reef build journal here. I've been in the freshwater hobby for over 15 years and recently decided to make the jump to saltwater.
Freshwater and aquascaping has always my main hobby and passion. Countless planted tanks have been setup and broken down. So it's time to start something new.
I've been researching a lot for the past 1,5 years. In my opinion i'd better be safe than sorry!!

I recently bought a brand new Waterbox cube 20:

1607516856000.png

For equipment i already bought the following things:
- AI prime 16HD (Black version) with custom 3d printed light visors
- Jecod DCS-1200 (upgrade return pump)
- Tunze Nanostream 6040 (wavemaker)
- Eheim heater 100 W
- D&D Dual temperature controller
- Bubble Magus BM New QQ skimmer
- Aquaforest Media Reactor AF 90
- Carbon, testkits, Purigen, ea.

I live in Belgium, so my english may not be that perfect (apologize in advance ).

Feel free to give every advice you have. It's more than welcome!
You can also follow my progression at instagram, and I recently started a new youtube channel.
I'll try to add as many pictures as I can in the following weeks and months.

Someones excited (doggy ;))

1607517206828.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefscape20g

Reefscape20g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Had some fun this weekend trying to make a DIY filter sock alternative for the waterbox cube 20.
This one can hold filter floss, carbon, gfo or any other media.
I think it can be a great alternative for the stock filtersocks that come with the tank:

1607529526851.png

1607529543277.png

1607529716719.png

Cool right! :D:D If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I also bought myself an Ikea STUVA cabinet for the tank. Spending 250€ (~300$) on a original waterbox cabinet is just to crazy if you ask me o_O

1607529483888.png

In the next update I'll show how I modified the stability of the cabinet and the cable management/controller-board in it.

Stay tuned ;)

OP
OP
Reefscape20g

Reefscape20g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

As promised, some photos of the modifications I did to the stability of the IKEA Stuva cabinet and the cable management/controller-board in it. The cabinet itself definitely needed some extra support so I put in some magic to make this work

At the same time I included some panels that help in the lateral stability. One of these panels serves as my main panelboard for all the controllers, so this is a nice win-win. The main goal was to keep the outside stock-ikea, while the inside could be clean, organised and flexible.

I only have a few photos of the "finished" setup, but it will give you an idea of how this will work:

1607596688747.png

1607596712462.png

1607596733011.png

1607596749818.png

All the seams have been closed with silicone in case any water or other liquids might leak.
Underneath the horizontal shelf I have about 35cm which will fit my ATO-container.
Another stock-ikea product :

1607596790330.png

Whats nice about these containers is the lid that comes with it. There is a hole cutout, perfect for the waterline running to the tank

OP
OP
Reefscape20g

Reefscape20g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently made an unboxing video of the Bubble Magus BM New QQ skimmer for the Waterbox Cube 20. I think this can be a very good alternative for the popular Tunze DOC 9001 that many of us use in there tanks.

If interested, feel free to watch the video:

;)

OP
OP
Reefscape20g

Reefscape20g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again,
First order of equipment came in a few weeks ago.
I already installed most of it.

1607670198143.png

So I already installed the D&D temp controller, the Tunze Nanostream 6040 wavemaker and the jebao return pump.
My AI prime 16 HD is looking super nice above the tank! Really happy with my decision to go with AI in stead of RS reefled 50....

1607670246916.png

The other challenge was to make the Red sea tankcover with the DIY kit.
It was a bit of a challenge but turned out really good. Super happy with the result!!

1607670305013.png

Installed the UV in the tank cabinet. In the next post I'll show how I installed the Aquaforest AF 90.
This will hold all my biological media...

And some pictures of the IKEA ATO-container. I went with the lower model to remain some room above it.

1607670482785.png

1607670576562.png

That's it for now. See you on the next one!

OP
OP
Reefscape20g

Reefscape20g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This weekend I installed my new media reactor. It comes right after the UV sterilizer, the outflow returns back to the middle filter chamber of the tank.
I did some test filling with the maxspect nano-tech spheres. About 40 of them fit in there, which is about 1kg of biological media.
I'll probably fill it up 50gr of carbon, 500 gr of maxspect spheres and 500 gr of Aquaforest Life Bio Fil.
About 1,5 kg of maxspect spheres will be placed in the back chambers 1 and 2 of the waterbox tank.

1607943096528.png

1607943110053.png

1607943129026.png

The plan is to start the cycle of the tank before the end of the year!

I'll keep you all posted.
Cheers!

OP
OP
Reefscape20g

Reefscape20g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I installed my new skimmer. I ordered a Bubble-magus BM New QQ :p. It was either the Tunze DOC 9001 or this one. My online vendor said it wouldn't fit in the filter section of my Waterbox cube 20, but probably never tried it for himself. I've read some great things about this brand, and the skimmer, so I took my chance and gave it a go.

I could always customize it if it wouldn't fit. Luckily this one fits like a glove ;Happy*lucky me ;Woot, and it looks super nice on the tank.
I made a Youtube unboxing video of the skimmer (try-out), feel free to watch it if anyone is interested.

Looks good right :D

I also made an assembly video. Let's hope this skimmer works good . Quality of the packaging and materials is very good in my opinion. English instructions are included, but no real need for them...

Anyone using this skimmer? Any tips and tricks?
Feel free to let me know!

I made some other adjustments to the cabinet and installation, but I'll keep that for another update.

I'll keep you all posted.
Cheers!

Last edited:

MrMo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Daan,

Love the build and its looking really good! I am based in the UK and am going through the process of setting up a Waterbox Cube 20. I also am looking to use an alternative cabinet to sit the tank on which brought me to your tank build while searching.

Question, what is the exact cabinet model you are using? As currently I am unable to find the same cabinet while browsing the STUVA range. SMASTAD/PLASTA Cabinet is about the closest I can find which the tank will fit on.

Out of interest do you have any details of which materials and where you ordered them from to strengthen the cabinet?

Apologies for all the questions! I want to get it right now rather than later on down the line with the tank, filled and running and waking up to a pool of salty water if the cabinet gave way under the weight lol.

Appreciate any information and tips.

Cheers,

Mo.

Back