First ever fish tank - Waterbox Cube 20

Lancia037

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to date picture 21.10.20:

IMG_20201021_180220_105.jpg

You're going to have to bare with me... This is my first ever fish tank and I will be making all the mistakes!

The story starts after seeing my brother in law's planted fish tank, and after lockdown started I had been working from home (and will be doing indefinitely). Now, as we all know, working from home leads to even more researching on googling non-work related topics...

I had always loved marine tanks, with the colours and the amazing corals, but always assumed something like this was out of reach.

A few months goes by and after tonnes of research and convincing the Mrs how cute Clownfish would look, I went out and bought a cabinet from IKEA (solid pine).
PXL_20200927_161308296.jpg

On the very same day, I had ordered a Waterbox Cube 20, some CaribSea Fiji Pink sand, an Aquael 100w heater and some ATM Colony (more on this later)

With the tank due to arrive on a Monday, and having a spare few hours on the Sunday, I decided to reinforce the cabinet with some 2x4s.

IMG-20201004-WA0008.jpeg

I've jumped up and down on it with my newly gained lockdown weight and all seems good to me! Solid as a rock... Time will tell I guess.

Next I headed to Kraken Corals to pick up some Marco rock and a few essentials. All of a sudden the Mrs was interested! She soon got to designing the aquascape into a pleasing pile of rocks, with the all important cave!

PXL_20201003_181748520.jpg

We had settled on the above, and I had decided that I wanted to keep the rock to a minimum and provide enough swimming space for the inhabitants.

Now for the tank... I was tracking the package and refreshing the page for hours! That night I added the rock, sand and filled it up with RODI water and Red Sea Blue salt.

PXL_20201007_093744293.jpg

I had also added the bottle of ATM colony, and after much research and against my instincts, I headed to the fish store to splurge on a pair of clowns. My salinity was at 1.026 and temp at a stable 25celcius.

What was supposed to be a £44 trip, turned into over £300, and I came home with a pair of clowns and an AI Prime 16 HD, and bunch of other essentials!

PXL_20201007_143849165.jpg

After temperate acclimating and then drop.accliamting for 40 mins, it was time to introduce Neil Finn and Gil Scot Heron to the tank!

PXL_20201008_095626569.MP.jpg

So far so good! They've been in for about 3 days and the ammonia levels are at a minimum, with trace amounts of nitrite and nitrate, so the ATM colony is doing its job! For now, I've stubbornly forced myself to lower the lights to 10% and allow them to settle in. They seem to be doing really one, and one is clearly more dominant than the other! I'll give it a few weeks and then I'll pick up my first few corals. But for now I'm happy, and more importantly the Mrs seems to love them!

Last edited:

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I'd wait more than two weeks to add corals if I were you though, your going to get a algae bloom unless you cured that rock.

OP
OP
Lancia037

Lancia037

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! The only input I would say is the power strip makes me nervous being next to the tank. Keep up the good work.
Yep, that's wasn't intentional! The included return pump had a ridiculously short power cable so I was unable to route it into the cabinet! First upgrade will be that and then the strip can be mounted underneath. My plan is to have nothing either side eventually.

OP
OP
Lancia037

Lancia037

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the fish have been in there for 3 days. Testing as follows using the Salifert test kits:

Ammonia 0.25 (has been since the start, I suspect a false positive)

Nitrite 0.01

Nitrate 2.5

Salinity 1.026

Temp 25c

The fish are acting normal (to my novice eyes!). One is clearly the dominant fish, so I'm hoping that goes well!

I've only fed them a very small amount they wolfed it down.

OP
OP
Lancia037

Lancia037

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job, the fact you have Nitrate shows the cycle is working. Keep up the good work!
It seems it! I've ordered some maxspect biospheres which I'll add to the rear chamber (along with the original plastic bioballs). Is there any other bacteria you'd add after using ATM Colony?

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and congrats!!! Can't wait to see what this looks like as it comes together. Looks like a pretty good start for jumping straight into the "deep end."

OP
OP
Lancia037

Lancia037

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New addition yesterday! Shamu, the Peacock Wrasse! Been watching her at my local shop for months and pulled the trigger. I understand she may outgrow the tank eventually, but I'll take her back once it gets to that. More importantly, she disappeared as soon as we put her in the tank , and this morning she popped up and was eating frozen food!

More importantly is the the other half loves her! I also picked up 4x hermit crabs and a small GSP frag (yet to come out but the skin is starting to glow green )

Cycle has gone well, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. Performed a 10litre water change yesterday so that should reduce the nitrates. I also added the Jebao SLW20 powerhead. A little bigger than I thought so I'm just running it on minimum .
PXL_20201019_081730959~2.jpg

Emptyness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking awesome, but how come the yellow is gone? Does she looks yellow from a certain angle or under certain light?

OP
OP
Lancia037

Lancia037

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking awesome, but how come the yellow is gone? Does she looks yellow from a certain angle or under certain light?
I had the white lights on the aquarium in the first picture, 2nd pic I had more blue and corrected the white balance on the camera in person she probably looks somewhere in the middle

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome wrasse and picture! GSP is on my to buy list to hopefully cover some of the back wall, be warned it will spread like wild fire so maybe have on a rock in the sand to limit it if you don't want it everywhere.

OP
OP
Lancia037

Lancia037

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome wrasse and picture! GSP is on my to buy list to hopefully cover some of the back wall, be warned it will spread like wild fire so maybe have on a rock in the sand to limit it if you don't want it everywhere.
That's the plan! Still waiting for it to extend its polyps, want to try and cover the back wall with it

OP
OP
Lancia037

Lancia037

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update! Added a few soft coral frags yesterday. Some pulsing Xenia, which is sort of a purple colour. Some neon green cabbage leather and a small toadstool leather coral. All is looking well! Update on the Wrasse, she comes up from the sand at 9am and eats frozen food, then back to bed at about 3pm! Starting to explore around the tank a bit more. The Clownfish aren't sure what to make of her...
IMG_20201021_180220_105.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back