Waterbox Marine 110.4 Build

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank of 12 years suddenly decided to spring a leak from somewhere and slowly dripping and leaking all over the the place. Good thing I have my tank on tile flooring, but the walls not so much. This tank been through 4 moves, and 3 different houses. The last 5 years it sat and everything was fine. I had the plumbing redone 2-3 years ago and everything was fine until it wasnt. Here are some pictures of my old setup.
lA1wFDeMxGlzrDyiDeCsNVUwGWzZIq3bxxTr6ebCq4e3ivHjM85-iRZ0m4XBdBap6VAF9SHgpx9bl5JJG20n-3l5exIdZlt5koScX2741PXOJDK_xqP-Pp2k1cl8epfixndMgsVrhrUBWBDC3ed7dyeh6JpJpxUCp0VBuoVyOue_FN-P886JwtAvXCu0NleoacfqtMGQHNKdwI-gB61X6WbnHPdkXn3qCt-Cql1ApnrTaDzAR2wNT0PKI5JGtCmqYQgt5p1887jU-DZgLVYiVhYA7MkuYQuELV8mF6Z5nQH8SC1H_cYkrS2HS-j6gzDvSm_kK5z_mx8PJEWfidXviDidAR5rHJ7YOGo2NYVE3Qj8VGYE34PIADmF9LJ6XBjk7cgZUWvMchxvG4VMPAYlU5MqpKCTGLuEa6U9yjswttv9hw8A8lnMg6iiGb7qWrhZxjojxcR_FeCregvIKxfeJMLHjMQCyUMAe0qXgKi6xZdwsCmkl-ml16Bw0ZBeKB2ufnw1EncVLTJR8YgNDjNVpV2Oyk9w9gpok99egid3hWHVU-7-wJsc0dgfavs8SlcohmHMVC1T5Pxsx9n6oqXvnBpwCc6pQL8QGTAEYvcaFNpZOZW3_SMBneJ77mrXZgdfZruUiKPe0llzryb2nuPw-3j6Bo64L5cu4v43rSZK-OFOa3mHaYJA119dtQAIN67G8hQm7xoI1fLTCVnBXuNam3HKxV8e0DBs5DG8wFqW1L_bBXuCX4V4LHR8L5b1T4UHdU8eGUml3DYohajNFPDcMTtNaH2gJOf_sq7WyCgZN7I0n5vba2OHfnaMiLyCVrJ4mh9mtV2oDgywx-lPCPVrt6W7unNeTfHmIfUPzBzlrIkk85aMh-7xvVMGHX0gcqegjhVwVVJ4qtsgMJJqBEfIn9oLzI6co-DC04VQK_8ekyg26V-n=w455-h685-s-no
20181103_213408.jpg

As I couldnt find where the leak was coming from and its creating a mini flood each morning when I check up on the tank and the wall are just soaking up the salt water and the plywood are expanding and being damaged, I had replace my tank asap. I know of Waterbox tanks as Ive seen one shop carrying them on Facebook. They looked pretty desent but I never justified buying one before as there was nothing wrong with my tank before. I decided to hit them up to see if they have any in stock and fortunately they do. Placed an order immediately on Tuesday and scheduled it to be delivered Saturday. I went home Tuesday and start taking down my tank, putting all the corals and rocks I had in whatever bucket, tubs or spare tanks I have.
PXL_20230617_020709972.jpg

Saturday came and the movers showed up early which I am not complaining. They took away my old tank and delivered the new one. Didnt take any picture of the move but heres the tank partially setup and waiting to be filled.
PXL_20230617_044105328.jpg

Tank filled and salt mixing
PXL_20230617_075138314.jpg

All surviving corals moved in
PXL_20230617_092644745.MP.jpg

10 hours of work later finally done.
7E-mAmEQMcSg-ATSwqZo_NltEHpigE3m1Oj2B0PBsy27CSnKIe_jlzDlNX8r1YkKqV8FV4du6XKQ--PEK3mSCziaRSnYvJL3YvxmlW1XLVnmay-PsjrWYTyVDKqDTNFlDUqw4XYmtCZNHy8gBLE-v_JRHVrpTFJtefxf5gB3WTg-8IPC1Z1L4flmcS9Zl67UGebkd_TP5H3E68F_1Ewz6X2fhCdD1Hm1i1-fPxy90tMVdFifG6Rb3aczxzLy2t_8Aui4zWQxU5aCikZC0mVeV6nl6B8UALAxD1QL4JYOhakh18-P0FrrmqZQmGofAfz8__O3zJew2MtWZipUXmDRAeG091YOdueJOvEUpNP7NGFOcNg1uSia0sDGqxLy6lqPxg2yLEI5CkDG_sIW1L5Xl3Rg_3mfSj-MGXP4RR3n9-Jh5Qa3gF6rmQYXgcCuUeKENH0aoaX5f00TcCb_1wuqJ4igmBGUxShXyZwy6CsTjlbhStrPM2v3RzplgzIZ17ZNyqO8tD2NH_gBB-zKIf4_LGAjcnWhEeI1HRtIgsaCI95rCoXvnBFlaxD_b00Q7fPW3FEojWpYnURu1iw90E2DxlXyPZijqiSfHsz5MpatUx_YJGVKqdc30Yci_UzShQGUh3GWbsj7jvYZdIrgtma5OrEpOIo6Au8m440KR4HKH3icSBcUMSnfdgm9-Z_1hgVNUSXvy658ATd4qhe_g5RvDlncrRah0WgP4pakEpfqfUxbtouGA1B7pn62Rxx5kxQ2HpNFqdh3252EVSElFqv0by2qur9HFSjj7nwwKdYqyMGXmPwBjjF256wVqG2hODFdjcxcDIU3XCuj9_46zA-kxCr9Jd2WDbANy4OQp0442V71NvSkekMT_t5rKoilG1JTtT6B4G94p9VooZDlLvpwlYOvrWy8Dfs1fQ3Rz5hy20thfsVhaw=w908-h684-s-no

I am totally beat from this move, but pretty happy with the end result. The "scape" you see now is just temporary as I was fighting against time to transfer all my corals into the tank. Ill work on rearranging the corals and rocks to giving it a proper scape once my aching body is up for and time for my corals to recover somewhat.

All in All pretty happy with the tank purchase. The build quality of the tank is very good and well through out. Plumbing quality was very nice, everything is precut to length and no gluing required. The loc-line type return lines and 2 different type of return nozzle was a nice touch. The stand had me a bit worried as it was a bit wobbly at first, but they assured me once youve leveled it and filled the tank with water it becomes rock solid which it was. I was pretty impressed with the cabinetry as well as it seem to be made from quality material and felt nice and solid.

The sump on the other was one area where they fell short on and wasnt that impressive. It seems like there are a lot of wasted space with the long and narrow chamber where water enters the sump from the drain and the filter sock section. The skimmer section and return pump section was barely big enough for the Vertex Alpha 170 skimmer and the Reef octopus Varios 4 pump I have. The filter socks are pretty noisy and splashy as well. Even with the included "silencer" for the filter socks, it did little to keep the noise down and the splashing was pretty annoying . I would much rather they include a lid on the filter socks to keep the splashing to a minimum. The biggest con in my opinion tho is the small "buffer" room available in water level in the return section. With such a small return pump section, theres only a 2-3 inches of water at most of buffer before my pump starts sucking in air, but if you overfill the sump, to get more "buffer" in between top offs, but you will also raise the water level inside the skimmer section making the water depth inconsistent which will affect skimming performance. The only way to combat this is just use an ATO to keep the return pump water level consistent. Also if you power off the return pump, with the return section being so small, water will overflow back into the skimmer section and raising the water level, potentially causing the skimmer to foam uncontrollably and overflow the collection cup. If for whatever reason the return pump fails unexpectedly, the is a potential the skimmer will constantly overflow creating a mess.

Coming from a custom sump I designed myself for my specific needs previously, I guess Im nitpicking at this point, but I do see myself potentially rearranging the sump entirely or making a new one all together, but for now, Ill use the sump as it stands for now.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! What an adventure! I'm sorry that you had to go through that, but it seems like you have landed in a good place!

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I just got a 110.4. Do you have any issues with getting the tank to level on the aluminum frame? I have spots where the leveling mat doesn’t compress from the weight of the tank (empty). I’m scared to fill it up until then lol

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What an adventure! I'm sorry that you had to go through that, but it seems like you have landed in a good place!
Yeah, I'm happy how everything turned out.
Awesome build! I just got a 110.4. Do you have any issues with getting the tank to level on the aluminum frame? I have spots where the leveling mat doesn’t compress from the weight of the tank (empty). I’m scared to fill it up until then lol
I didnt have any issues leveling the tank. I made sure all the feet was touching the ground first then used bubble level to make sure its somewhat level. I had the same issue with the foam under the tank not compressing esp on the front 2 corners of the tank but it seems to be more because the foam was deformed during storage/transport, or being handled during the move more than the tank not level. Ive filled the tank with some of the foam not touching the frame and it completely fine. they will spring back overtime.

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 month update. Things have started to bounce back and Im seeing signs of new growth. Ive added some fish to the system as well so I guess this is a perfect time to do an update and an overview of my tank and equipment

I am running 3 Noopsyche K7 Pro II lights
Maxspect XF330 Gyre pumps with cloud edition controller
Stock filter socks for now
Vertex Alpha 170 Skimmer body retrofitted with Reef Octopus Varios Skimmer pump
Reef Octopus Varios return pump
Teco TK500 Chiller/heater

Livestock list:
2 Clown fish
1 Tang
1 Copper banded butterfly

Bunch of frogspawn and hammer head corals
Toadstool that keeps fragging itself
Acan
Plate Coral
Big Clam
Various SPS corals

Im trying to find a way to "get rid of "most the frogspawn and hammerhead corals as they do grow pretty fast and keeps fragging itself whenever I move them, which creates a bigger headache for me as Im running out of space just trying to accommodate them leaving very little to no room to expand my collection. I might ask some shops if they are willing to take them for free.
1689649728551.png
1689649763549.png

1689649728551.png

1689649763549.png

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 month update. Things have started to bounce back and Im seeing signs of new growth. Ive added some fish to the system as well so I guess this is a perfect time to do an update and an overview of my tank and equipment

I am running 3 Noopsyche K7 Pro II lights
Maxspect XF330 Gyre pumps with cloud edition controller
Stock filter socks for now
Vertex Alpha 170 Skimmer body retrofitted with Reef Octopus Varios Skimmer pump
Reef Octopus Varios return pump
Teco TK500 Chiller/heater

Livestock list:
2 Clown fish
1 Tang
1 Copper banded butterfly

Bunch of frogspawn and hammer head corals
Toadstool that keeps fragging itself
Acan
Plate Coral
Big Clam
Various SPS corals

Im trying to find a way to "get rid of "most the frogspawn and hammerhead corals as they do grow pretty fast and keeps fragging itself whenever I move them, which creates a bigger headache for me as Im running out of space just trying to accommodate them leaving very little to no room to expand my collection. I might ask some shops if they are willing to take them for free.
1689649728551.png
1689649763549.png

1689649728551.png

1689649763549.png
Glad to see the tank is doing well!

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much has changed these last 3 months. Ive finally got off my butt and put up the large amount of frogspawn and hammer coral on the left side of my tank for sale since its taking up too much space and I cannot add any other corals. Fortunately someone did buy off the entire mountain which helped me a lot. I do still have some stragglers frogspawn and hammer frags which Im taking my time in selling them off or keeping them.

Other than that, I didn't do too much with my tank. I've added a bunch of anthias fish and green chromis as I want some schooling fish which added more activity, did the occasional water changes here and there, topped up with some broad spectrum nutrients for the tank and that's about it. I didn't bother with test kits or chasing parameter levels and I'm surprised how much better my corals looks currently. I had a bubblegum digi coral and it was always dull looking and didn't look healthy, but currently the colors are popping much better and more vibrant, its displaying those rainbow colors on its tips with reds greens and blues. Other color are much more vibrant as well, greens aren't just green but have different shades and some with florescent yellows as well.

1697687110905.png

Excuse the large amount of hydroids I'm dealing with right now...its driving me nuts. I'm currently just keeping their population in check by manually removing it every now and then. Trying to find ways to permanently killing them. I could take the rocks out and drying it under the sun for a few days, but one with corals is a bit harder. Im all ears if anyone of you have any ideas.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much has changed these last 3 months. Ive finally got off my butt and put up the large amount of frogspawn and hammer coral on the left side of my tank for sale since its taking up too much space and I cannot add any other corals. Fortunately someone did buy off the entire mountain which helped me a lot. I do still have some stragglers frogspawn and hammer frags which Im taking my time in selling them off or keeping them.

Other than that, I didn't do too much with my tank. I've added a bunch of anthias fish and green chromis as I want some schooling fish which added more activity, did the occasional water changes here and there, topped up with some broad spectrum nutrients for the tank and that's about it. I didn't bother with test kits or chasing parameter levels and I'm surprised how much better my corals looks currently. I had a bubblegum digi coral and it was always dull looking and didn't look healthy, but currently the colors are popping much better and more vibrant, its displaying those rainbow colors on its tips with reds greens and blues. Other color are much more vibrant as well, greens aren't just green but have different shades and some with florescent yellows as well.

1697687110905.png

Excuse the large amount of hydroids I'm dealing with right now...its driving me nuts. I'm currently just keeping their population in check by manually removing it every now and then. Trying to find ways to permanently killing them. I could take the rocks out and drying it under the sun for a few days, but one with corals is a bit harder. Im all ears if anyone of you have any ideas.
Coral look great!

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unthinkable happened. Without much warning, my entire SPS collection RTNed.
1708585822698.png

I saved whatever I could and let the rest decay in the tank. Miraculously most of my fish and 2 peppermint shrimp were not too affected by this. They all went into hiding but mostly survived. Good thing I have an oversized skimmer as it was able to filter and pull of most of the decaying organics inside the tank. The **** it pulled was the nastiest, fishiest, most putrid smelling skimmate Ive smelled. It also helped clear up my tank as well.

Going to take this opportunity to completely start over with my tank, throw away all the old rocks and sand, give the tank a good deep clean and soak the tank in tap water for a few days to kill off any hitchhikers or pests. Already bought some custom rock scape and debating if i should go bare bottom or not (leaning more towards BB).
1708586373151.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved all the surviving fish and corals back into the tank as my temporary holding tanks arent really cutting it. Fish and corals are MUCH happier in the new tank.
1709525593236.png

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back