Waterbox Mini Pen 15, 25 or Cube 10 return pump

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm just getting back into the hobby and have set up a WB Mini Pen 15. I believe, from the Waterbox site specs, that the Mini Pen 25 and Cube 10 also have the same size return section.

The stock Hidam pump that came with the tank was much too loud and doesn't restart after shutdown about 30% of the time so, gone to the salt mixing container. I put in the WB recommended Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 and it is okayish. After finally finding the specs on the Hidam AP-1500 (1000 lph or 264 gph) I'm a little surprised that WB recommended the Syncra Silent 0.5 (185 gph) instead of the Syncra Silent 1.0 since they seem to be the same size and the 1.0 (251 gph) is closer to the specs of the Hidam.

Anyway, I feel the the Sicce 0.5 is underpowered, a very tight fit and a little noisy (mainly because of the tight fit. I was going to add the VCA Random Flow Generator, more to redirect the return flow than for the RFG effects, but the pump would take 15 seconds just to drain the return section after a restart. The RFG added too much head pressure so it is out for now,

I would really prefer a DC pump but the only one that seems to fit (Aqua Medic DC Runner 1.3) doesn't seem to be available in the USA. I know the IM Mightyjet 326 is supposed to fit with some modifications (it is .4" too long - 4.1" long versus 3.7" return section) and I think the Jebao/Jecod DCS-1200 is also supposed to fit with similar modifications. I'm not crazy about modifying the pumps to fit but may if I can verify it actually works and the pumps are of decent quality. Anyone using these? How difficult was the conversion? I'm not interested in standing the pump on end to make it fit.

If those are more trouble than they are worth I figure to use either the Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0, Tunze 1073.008 or Eheim compactON 1000. Anyone have experience with any of these pumps on the Pen 15/25 or Cube 10? Any other pump I should be considering?

Thanks

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks blaxsun. I'm leaning toward the Sicce, I think the 0.5 is just a little underpowered for the Mini Pen 15. The 1.0 will probably be fine though. It would be nice to have the ability to adjust the flow without pulling the pump out and having a feed mode but it seems that the small Waterbox return pump chambers are just a little too small for the current batch of DC return pumps.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"i would really prefer a DC pump but the only one that seems to fit (Aqua Medic DC Runner 1.3) doesn't seem to be available in the USA."

It's the best there is for the Waterbox nano's though by a landslide, and i tried them all (including Jebao DC pumps).
The Aqua Medic is not just "quiet", it's dead silent. Need to Dremel a little of the intake off though but that was also the case with the Jebao DC1200.

Order it in Europe, it's worth it.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Harold999. I have two questions on the DC Runner:

I see it has a universal power adapter so that should be fine but does it come with plug adapters that would work for US style outlets?

It looks like the pressure side of the pump has a 20mm outlet but the Waterbox uses a 16mm hose (we usually use a 1/2" ID hose here). Does it come with adapters? Is 20mm a common European hose size? I know that a lot of European gear uses 12mm or 16mm hoses but I don't think I've ever seen 20mm hose in the US.

It looks and reads like a very good fit for the Waterbox.

Last edited:

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Harold999. I have two questions on the DC Runner:

I see it has a universal power adapter so that should be fine but does it come with plug adapters that would work for US style outlets?

It looks like the pressure side of the pump has a 20mm outlet but the Waterbox uses a 16mm hose (we usually use a 1/2" ID hose here). Does it come with adapters? Is 20mm a common European hose size? I know that a lot of European gear uses 12mm or 16mm hoses but I don't think I've every seen 20mm hose in the US.

It looks and reads like a very good fit for the Waterbox.
There are 4 different kind of power plugs in the box which you can screw/unscrew on the powersupply, i'll bet USA is included.

There is no water outlet adapter in the box. I used one from a Tunze or Jebao pump (can't remember which) which fitted well. I had the same problem as you (16mm hose in the Waterbox).
So you will have to figure something out here.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a nut about keeping things quiet and seriously considered a DC pump. I have used DC return pumps on larger tanks. They are super quiet and I’m a fan.

I went with the Tunze 1073.008 and I’m keeping it. It’s very very quiet. Not DC quiet but actually quiet enough I don’t notice it. I dont hear it but when I turn it off I can detect the change. Hopefully that make sense. I decided simple was better for this tank.

The aqua medic looks nice!

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a nut about keeping things quiet and seriously considered a DC pump. I have used DC return pumps on larger tanks. They are super quiet and I’m a fan.

I went with the Tunze 1073.008 and I’m keeping it. It’s very very quiet. Not DC quiet but actually quiet enough I don’t notice it. I dont hear it but when I turn it off I can detect the change. Hopefully that make sense. I decided simple was better for this tank.

The aqua medic looks nice!

Thanks rishma it makes a lot of sense. I've always liked Tunze gear. My biggest concern with Aqua Medic is getting support with no US distributor. The pump I want to learn more about on my list is the Eheim compactON 1000 as its specs closely match the WB Hidam that was supplied with the tank.

It seems the Tunze falls somewhere between the Hidam and the Sicce .05 in gph but since Tunze is usually conservative with the claims, it is probably very close to Hidam in actual throughput.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an aside, it seems that the Hidam pump is breaking in. It has gotten much quieter and seems to be restarting fine now. It's still not as quiet as the Sicce though.

The main reason I started obsessing over return pumps again (the Sicce is just barely quiet enough) is that when I worked out my aquascape I had planned on using the VCA Random Flow Generator to redirect some of the flow to the offside of my scape. The Sicce 0.5 just is not strong enough. Once I found the specs for the Hidam it made me wonder why Waterbox recommends the Syncra Silent 0.5 for the Mini Peninsula 15 instead of the Syncra Silent 1.0 when the output of the 1.0 is closer to the Hidam's. Only thing I can figure is maybe the Hidam's specs are wildly optimistic. I would hate to put in a pump that is far too strong as restricting the flow just makes the pump louder.

After using the feed mode on my Nero 3, I'm kind of hooked on app control. Also DC would allow me to tune the pump to the sump without constantly pulling the pump, adjusting the flow restrictor and trying again. Sure wish Waterbox had made the return chamber a half inch longer.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about fifteen minutes ago I decided to reinstall the VCA Random Flow Generator on the tank. I thought maybe I was just being overly critical. The VCA site says that the optimal flow is 100-130gph and the Sicce 0.5 is rated at 185 so it should work. So far it still hasn't brought the sump chamber back down to normal.

Maybe I just got a bum RFG. Is anyone else using a VCA RFG on their WB 10/15/25? What pump is working well with it?

Attachments

• 20211026_121051.jpg
    20211026_121051.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, another question for those that use RFGs: maybe the kit just isn't really a good match to the aquarium. If 100-130gph is optimal, maybe it is too restrictive. The kit uses a 1/4" RFG with an adapter to convert the 16.5mm WB ball to standard 1/2" loc-line and then a loc-line 1/2" to 1/4" reducer.

I'm considering changing out the bulkhead elbow and loc-line ball to standard 1/2" and using a 1/2 RFG. Any thoughts?

After rereading this, it looks like I could pop the adapter out of the RFG kit and just use 1/2" loc-line with a 1/2" RFG.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about fifteen minutes ago I decided to reinstall the VCA Random Flow Generator on the tank. I thought maybe I was just being overly critical. The VCA site says that the optimal flow is 100-130gph and the Sicce 0.5 is rated at 185 so it should work. So far it still hasn't brought the sump chamber back down to normal.

Maybe I just got a bum RFG. Is anyone else using a VCA RFG on their WB 10/15/25? What pump is working well with it?
Interested in others experience too. I considered the RFG but decided my nero3 flow was likely strong enough to overwhelm the impact from the return pump flow. I have app on random and it moves a ton of water at 65%

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in others experience too. I considered the RFG but decided my nero3 flow was likely strong enough to overwhelm the impact from the return pump flow. I have app on random and it moves a ton of water at 65%
I also have a Nero 3, and interestingly enough I also run at 65% on random. What I want more than RFG is to redirect the return pump outlet toward the far side of the tank. I figured RFG would be less laminar than a straight nozzle.

My Nero 3 sits below the return outlet and blasts the windward side of the scape. I want the RFG to give a little turbulence to the lee side.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the Eheim compactON 1000, the reviews I have found are mostly unfavorable with noise listed as the number one complaint. Probably not the one I will choose.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Sicce 1.0 on another nano aio and it is DEAD silent. Not sure how it would perform in a WB but in my current system it is "is it turned on" silent.

I actually just bought a peninsula 15 this afternoon. I'm curious to see what the 1.0 does in there. I've heard some complaints that it makes noise. I will be surprised if the pump that is completely silent suddenly rattles, but stranger things have happened.

Now I too am looking for the best return line configuration. I was thinking about some sort of dual RFG setup.

When you say that using the RFG your sump level is not "back down to normal" do you mean that your flow is too restricted? I wonder if dual quarter inch would work alright with the 1.0. what do you think?

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Sicce 1.0 on another nano aio and it is DEAD silent. Not sure how it would perform in a WB but in my current system it is "is it turned on" silent.

I actually just bought a peninsula 15 this afternoon. I'm curious to see what the 1.0 does in there. I've heard some complaints that it makes noise. I will be surprised if the pump that is completely silent suddenly rattles, but stranger things have happened.

Now I too am looking for the best return line configuration. I was thinking about some sort of dual RFG setup.

When you say that using the RFG your sump level is not "back down to normal" do you mean that your flow is too restricted? I wonder if dual quarter inch would work alright with the 1.0. what do you think?

Chrisv,

The noise problem isn't bad in my tank, just a slight hum. I think it is caused because the pump touches both ends of the return chamber. I'm going to switch to a silicon vinyl hose to see if that helps. The Tunze 1073.008 is supposed to be a tiny bit shorter (3.4" vs 3.54") so I may give it a try. It is also has slightly more flow (210 vs 185). Repositioning the pump every so often improves the noise.

I think that the pump may be slowing down already (in service 3 months). When I first installed the RFG it would slowly bring the sump levels back to normal. It took 15 to 20 seconds. When I re-installed the RFG it did not bring the sump level back down even after two hours so I removed the RFG again. Yes it is too restrictive, at least with the Sicce Synchra Silent 0.5. The water barely trickles back into the overflow slots.

I went out to the Vivid Creative Aquatics site again while I was waiting for the sump to stabilize. The 1/4" RFG is the one they recommend for the WB MP 15. They also recommend a flow rate of 100-200 gph for the pump. The Sicce 0.5 is 185 so it should be fine. They have a 1/2" kit they recommend for the WB MP 25 that would work. It would obviously have less restriction but they recommend flow rates of 225 to 325 so Sicce Synchra Silent 1.0 territory. I assume that VCA sized these based on the velocity they need in the RFG nozzle to force the RFG to function correctly.

As for the dual 1/4" RFG it might work fine, certainly should be less restrictive. It might even work with the 0.5. I may give it a try.

When I dig deeper, the Waterbox return nozzle ball is 16.5mm so a little over 1/2" and is connected to a 16mm, also a little over 1/2", hose via the threaded elbow. I think the 1/2" to 1/4" reduction is too much for the Sicce 0.5 to handle well. On the other hand I really want my sump turnover in the 120 to 150 gph. The trick will be what pump/RFG combo will give me that turnover rate? That was one reason I wanted to use a DC pump, easier to try to "dial in".

Last edited:
OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen where a few people now are using the DCS-1200 in their WB Mini Pens and Cubes by just cutting down the threads on the intake pipe.

Right now I have the Sicce 0.5 running and it is very reliable and pretty quiet. I find that when it gets noisy, twisting the pump a little quiets it back down. The original Hidam pump has turned out to be so unreliable I want to stop using it for my salt mixing. I have to hand start it almost every time I use it. I just might pick up a DCS-1200 soon. I like to clean my pumps every six months so the Sicce is due to be cleaned in early February or so. I figure I can pick up the DCS-1200, drop it in the tank when I remove the Sicce for cleaning and then use the Sicce for the salt mix and as backup.

The Sicce is working very well and the 1.0 would probably make the RFG work correctly but I would like to have a feed mode. I keep forgetting to restart the return pump after feeding. I gave up on the RFG for now as the Sicce 0.5 just doesn't seem to be strong enough.

EDIT-- sure wish Aqua Medic had a US distributor.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back