Waterproofing KH Director.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I had a really tough time getting the pH probe on the side of the KH Director To be water right tonight after calibrating it.

I used some Vaseline and that seems to have done the trick, just a little thin layer on the rubber o ring. Would this cause any issues?

I’m thinking of future proofing incase of a little drip, would it be worth running a bead of silicone alone the bottom of the KH Director to stop any drips getting inside to the main board?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do that and place a drip tray underneath is also?

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not had any leaks from mine yet, but if it did, I would do the same as you, using 100% silicon grease

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do that and place a drip tray underneath is also?

Thats what I plan to do, my worry with a drip tray is that the water would just gather over time, eventually immersing the unit. I plan to have a tray with a drainage hole at the back that feeds down on the the floor of my sump where there is a leak detector.

In the meantime I want to waterproof the KH director etc as best I can, would a bit of silicon sealant cause any issues?

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not had any leaks from mine yet, but if it did, I would do the same as you, using 100% silicon grease
To be fair its rare they leak, I have had a few issues with my Doser Maxi pumps running a little dry (I just add plenty of vaseline now) and the Doser 2.0 have never leaked. The KH director is a little finicky around the pH probe, BUT I want to add a layer of silicone sealant just under the probe to add that extra safety.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I had a really tough time getting the pH probe on the side of the KH Director To be water right tonight after calibrating it.

I used some Vaseline and that seems to have done the trick, just a little thin layer on the rubber o ring. Would this cause any issues?

I’m thinking of future proofing incase of a little drip, would it be worth running a bead of silicone alone the bottom of the KH Director to stop any drips getting inside to the main board?
i have read about this, and was just thinking to post a topic about this

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
silicon grease around the o ring of the probe , or to seal off the bottom of the kh director ?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

Doesn't vaseline degrade rubber? If that happens it might make the probe less effective or cause water to get into it? I have never used this device so don't know if the probe would be affected but I'm pretty sure vaseline and rubber aren't a good combination.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't vaseline degrade rubber? If that happens it might make the probe less effective or cause water to get into it? I have never used this device so don't know if the probe would be affected but I'm pretty sure vaseline and rubber aren't a good combination.
from your knowledge, vaseline degrades rubber? :eek:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from your knowledge, vaseline degrades rubber? :eek:
That's what I read. There was a post on a freshwater forum a couple years ago. The OP wanted to unstick something with rubber and posted about it. The reply was it will destroy the rubber. I góogled it and supposedly it is true so I would say the OP should look into this just to be safe.

If I interpret your reply properly then "yep" rubber and vaseline can be a very bad combination for a lot of reasons. Haha!!

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mhmm , i think i remember people saying siliccone grease . that may just be the better option then

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I read. There was a post on a freshwater forum a couple years ago. The OP wanted to unstick something with rubber and posted about it. The reply was it will destroy the rubber. I góogled it and supposedly it is true so I would say the OP should look into this just to be safe.

If I interpret your reply properly then "yep" rubber and vaseline can be a very bad combination for a lot of reasons. Haha!!
my kh director is arriving back today, for water damage repairs , good to know thx

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my kh director is arriving back today, for water damage repairs , good to know thx
No problem. Rubber and neoprene are degraded by petroleum jelly. The correct product to use (that I have read) is a silicone based lubricant but make sure it is aquarium safe. Most fish stores will sell various products because there are always seals, o-rings, etc. in equipment that need maintenace.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also say that if you're having issues like this then a call to the manufacturer to get their recomenndation is always a good idea just to make sure you don't void any sort of warranty by using a product they don't recommend for their device.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% silicon grease is reef safe, I use it all the time. I use it on the fittings on my pumps (the nuts/bolts/o-rings), I use it on all my plumbing fittings, it prevents all the plastic locking up on itself. The stuff is a godsend.

As for the question where to apply it, use it in the o-ring around the probe, will help make a seal.

As for the putting it around the bottom of the KHD, why?
If you’re going to have a leak inside, you’re buggered anyway, and I’d rather know sooner than later, hopefully preventing the electronics from being damaged, sealing it will just break everything before you know there is an issue.

I know of one person on here which had a leak, it was a pipe defect inside the unit, but he likes to scare everyone away from GHL, saying they’re the devil. Ignore the village idiot and think critically.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% silicon grease is reef safe, I use it all the time. I use it on the fittings on my pumps (the nuts/bolts/o-rings), I use it on all my plumbing fittings, it prevents all the plastic locking up on itself. The stuff is a godsend.

As for the question where to apply it, use it in the o-ring around the probe, will help make a seal.

As for the putting it around the bottom of the KHD, why?
If you’re going to have a leak inside, you’re buggered anyway, and I’d rather know sooner than later, hopefully preventing the electronics from being damaged, sealing it will just break everything before you know there is an issue.

I know of one person on here which had a leak, it was a pipe defect inside the unit, but he likes to scare everyone away from GHL, saying they’re the devil. Ignore the village idiot and think critically.
can you provide a link to the exact silicon grease ? , as for sealing off the unti , it just a insurance , in case of probe leak to my thinking

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you provide a link to the exact silicon grease ? , as for sealing off the unti , it just a insurance , in case of probe leak to my thinking

I don’t have a link, bought some of Amazon a few years ago, came in a big tub, probably last me another 5 years. You want 100% silicon grease, it’s sold as such. I would highly recommend not sealing the unit, I think that’s dangerous and silly, your warranty will also be void.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a link, bought some of Amazon a few years ago, came in a big tub, probably last me another 5 years. You want 100% silicon grease, it’s sold as such. I would highly recommend not sealing the unit, I think that’s dangerous and silly, your warranty will also be void.
for sealing the outside of the base ? hm....... i wonder good question to ask

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. If the pH probe was to leak, the case joins together right underneath it. If it were to drip, some might enter the unit.
Anyway I have added some trays underneath now and I’m confident it will help me spot any leaks.

P.s thanks for the heads up! I will get some silicon grease now!

5AA76C22-EAB9-4348-B080-08A58A4CD70B.jpeg 63323411-9342-4595-9A6E-CB7D44493973.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back