Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am new to Apex.

I have 2 Wav pumps in a 110gallon mixed reef and I absolutely NEED help getting them configured to do what I need them to do.

I need help with proper placement
I need help with programming
I need help with knowing how to change programming when need arises.

I need help in general.

I only have 1 Wav set up right now and it's on the right side of the tank. I was using Wikidd's Reef Quest scheme but I think it's tooooooooo much for my tank even with just the 1 Wav pump much less 2 of them.

I don't understand Flo at all. I don't understand how it works or if it does anything or how to use it.

I know I sound clueless. As far as the Wav pumps go, I am clueless.
I'm used to turning a dial or two, seeing what flow I have and adjusting to my needs. I have no idea, concept or clue how to do this with the Wav pumps.

Please be patient with me and please help me get this set up for my needs.
Please help me understand how to make changes when I need to.
Please help me understand what flo is, what flo does and how to use flo, schemes, how to create my own schemes and everything else I need to know.

Thanks in advance and fair warning, I have NO CLUE AT ALL when it comes to the Wav so I may ask what seem to be stupid questions.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a great setup process right in Fusion, task Icon. I just set mine up a couple of weeks ago this way and it was super easy.

As for placement, On my 110 (48"x24"x22") I have them about 6 inches down on the back glass, one each side of the tank facing towards the opposite front, upper corners and am loving the flow the provide.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple of screen shots of the Left and Then Right flow patterns.

upload_2018-11-16_9-26-12.png

upload_2018-11-16_9-26-32.png

upload_2018-11-16_9-26-53.png

upload_2018-11-16_9-27-10.png

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried using the task in Fusion to help you get set up?

I have helped some people in person get their WAVs set up but have not had to try to do it via chat so bear with me a little bit.

Placement: I usually recommend starting with any powerhead on opposite ends of the tank, about 1/4-1/3 of the way down from the top, and aimed so the water crests the surface 1/2-2/3 of the way across the length of the tank.

Programming:
After adding the WAVs to your Apex, there should have been an option to add "outlets" to your Fusion dashboard for each WAV.
If you go into the settings (easiest done by hitting the gear to the top right of the outlet), you should see a graph similar to this one:

WAV graph.JPG
Here you can grab the individual points and adjust up/down for intensity (%) or left right for time.

In the section underneath you can select what mode you want each WAV in (if you select inverse it will pop up the drop-down to the right where you then select the opposing WAV).

A nice feature is that you can also select the compare drop down and select the first WAV you have programmed to help see how they are lined up (see next image).

WAV graph compare.JPG

I also recommend checking out Neptune's Get Started page for the WAV here: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/wav/configuration/

Edit: Also, when your WAVs are configured, make sure they are set to Auto. If they are set to ON they will both run constant at 100%.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've gathered during setup, I was to chose an existing scheme. That scheme is tooooooooooooo much for my tank.

If I have this correct, I have to choose an existing scheme (any ol scheme) and adjust it, add to it or take away from it to make it the way what I want for my tank?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've gathered during setup, I was to chose an existing scheme. That scheme is tooooooooooooo much for my tank.

If I have this correct, I have to choose an existing scheme (any ol scheme) and adjust it, add to it or take away from it to make it the way what I want for my tank?
You do not have to select a theme, but it does make things easier than starting from scratch.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the manual which was somewhat, kinda, sorta helpful. That's where I learned about "flo".
The manual was no help at all in explaining what flow does or how to use it, what it does (if anything) or how to apply it.

What does "flo" do?
How do I use "flo"?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im sure you can create your own (I did not) but If you want to edit the existing scheme click on the "Gear Icon" at the WAV virtual outlet to get into the menu/screen shots we've shown you. Then using the points on the graph you can adjust the intensity of the pump.

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One piece of advice that I did incorrectly - be sure to put the option for your pumps on "AUTO" not the "ON" setting. When they're in the "ON" setting, it runs them at 100% regardless of what your settings are for the screenshots others provided show. I made this mistake when I first installed mine, and they were blowing sand everywhere. Now that I have it swapped to "AUTO" my sand doesn't move at all.

For placement, I have mine on the back walls in opposite corners and they're aimed at the middle of the front glass. This is what was recommended on the help site from the manufacturer when I went there for advice.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not have to select a theme, but it does make things easier than starting from scratch.
I don't even know how to start from scratch. Lol
I'm beginning to understand (at least with 1 Wav pump connected).
I am making an intricate scheme to hopefully fit my needs.

I really want to understand what "Flo" is and what it does and how it works.

Also, how does "Preview" work? I will need to test the flow to make sure it's what I want at the intensity i'm looking for.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did not use the preview option.

FLO is a number Apex came up with to help folks understand where they stood. It will encompass your WAV pump or pumps and also add in your return if it's a Neptune COR. If I remember correctly 4.5 and up was reccomended for SPS tanks. So for an LPS or Mixed reef I would target 4 and see how corals react and taylor to accordingly.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?13329-What-is-quot-FLO-quot-a-measure-of

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72" SPS tank, so my settings will not necessarily be the best for you. I have my two WAVs on opposite ends of the tank. I don't like pointing them at the front glass because I am worried about the structural integrity of my tank. I have tried several of the options in the Task menu and I always ended up running one on Mavericks for and the other on inverse at 100%. It creates a ton of random flow and that is what I want. I also run Trestles for two hours at night because it seems to stir up a little detritus. I feel like a lot of people like to play around with all of the options and there is nothing wrong with that. I just found two settings I like and stuck with them.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've created my 1st Scheme!

upload_2018-11-16_11-55-33.png

upload_2018-11-16_11-56-10.png

I have NO IDEA how this is going to work out in my 4ft 110 gallon mixed reef tank.
I don't know if my intensities are too high or too low or just right.
I am planning on mounting BOTH Wav pumps on the back wall corners pointing them either toward the center of the tank OR towards the sides.

I have 1 BTA
1 Large Carpet anemone
Some Monti's
LARGE Hollywood Stunner
Various LPS
1 large(ish) Kenya Tree
1 Purple Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Powder Blue Tang (Still in QT)
1 Naso Tang (Still in QT)
1 LARGE Maroon Clown
1 Medium V. Lionfish (does NOT like a lot of flow)
2 Three Striped Damsels

I would really like some insight on my scheme and if in your experience, it's too much, too little or if I should be doing anything else with the scheme.

THANK YOU!!!!!

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand this.

upload_2018-11-16_12-29-12.png

Why is the Wav showing at 100%?
I have loaded the Scheme I created and at this time of day, I should not have more than 50% at MAX.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the RPM its definitely running on the high end. Not sure what's going on. If your scheme loaded and the Virtual Outlet is in Auto it should be following your scheme. Did you create your scheme by clicking on the gear icon of the virtual outlet or was it created elsewhere and possibly still needs to be assigned to the pump?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the RPM its definitely running on the high end. Not sure what's going on. If your scheme loaded and the Virtual Outlet is in Auto it should be following your scheme. Did you create your scheme by clicking on the gear icon of the virtual outlet or was it created elsewhere and possibly still needs to be assigned to the pump?

I created it using the gear icon on the outlet.
I hit the icon to load it to the Apex but as you see....

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To learn about FLO,

Click on the gear icon for the FLO tile.

upload_2018-11-16_10-26-42.png

Then click on the ? on the top right.

upload_2018-11-16_10-27-35.png

Click on the down arrows to learn more.

upload_2018-11-16_10-28-15.png

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive never created my own scheme but to load a scheme to the pump you want to click the gear icon just to the right of the 100% on the WAV virtual outlet. Circled below from my Fusion.

If Im understanding you correctly you went into gear icon of the FLO graph/section.

65DB1D6A-C35A-43E6-83D3-1B90326F4CAF.jpeg

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune helped me find the problem.

Somewhere buried DEEP in the code was "SET ON"
It was on line 26. I deleted it and all seems to be working correctly now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back